Super Contributor

I wish I had more of this in my life..

... you know, those girlfriends who'd drop by for coffee and a chat.

I'm a simple person. It doesn't take a lot to make me happy. Does anyone still have this?

/></p>

Respected Contributor

Re: I wish I had more of this in my life..

Yes! I'd like to spend more time getting together with friends. People get into routines and find it hard to make even small changes, like taking time out for a cup of tea with a friend or neighbor.

Trusted Contributor

I enjoy spending time with friends but I do not want anyone, friends or family, just dropping by without calling & making plans ahead of time.

Frequent Contributor

Oh gees -- Aunt Bea and Clara..... loved that show!

Honored Contributor

I'm such a private person that I would find it an intrusion unless they were invited. Getting together with friends is different and planned. Also those days of having less to do are long gone. A lot of women didn't work outside the home so it was a way to not feel isolated. I do like when sitting on the deck in the evening when neighbors come over to chat.

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/23/2014 Scotnovel said:

I enjoy spending time with friends but I do not want anyone, friends or family, just dropping by without calling & making plans ahead of time.

Growing up, dropping in without notice was a huge "no-no". One just did not do that...always call ahead. It was considered rude and thoughtless! I still feel that way. Please just call me and give me some notice! The house might not be 'ready" for company or even worse, I might not be!

Respected Contributor

I never saw Aunt Bea in color before! Or to be grammatical, I've never before seen Aunt Bea in color!
Honored Contributor

The thought is nice, but in reality...no. Need to let me know ahead of time. I am retired, but still busy.

"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

if "you" drop in....my place might be a mess...or worse, I might be napping....enter at your own risk.......haha....

Esteemed Contributor

I know what you mean. I long for it sometimes, too.

Friends I made while I working were just that. People I knew at the office, but did not socialize with. Plus, most lived 50 or 60 miles from me which is not conducive to just stopping by on a whim.

My mother had a friend that she shared coffee with most mornings (they did call ahead) when she was not working. I have no idea what they chatted about, but it was a lifelong and easy friendship that sometimes extended to our families getting together.

Four of her friends also used to gather every couple of months and play canasta, have shrimp cocktail (when it was exotic) and a few snacks. No one had much disposable income then so just having "snacks" was a rare treat -- kids were not allowed to touch until everyone left.

It was a simpler, slower time. I would love to have someone to share coffee with now and then. Sadly, there isn't one person close to me to do so.