Super Contributor

Have you lost your taste for something you used to love?

When I was young, I loved all things chocolate. Now I find it turns me off completely.

Recently, I've noticed that I have coffee in the morning because I need the caffeine, but I'm enjoying it less and less.

I wonder why this happens.

Has it happened to you?

I'm already anticipating Brewhaha's response. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Super Contributor

Re: Have you lost your taste for something you used to love?

I used to love Miracle Whip. Now I can't stand it. However, foods I didn't like when I was younger I absolutely love. It was years before I liked coffee. Now it's totally loved. Our tastes come and go as we age.

Respected Contributor

My tastes have changed as I have gotten older. I don't care for anything too salty or sweet. I use to love coffee, now I drink green tea. I still like an iced coffee on occasion though. Maybe it's my body trying to tell me something.

Esteemed Contributor

Actually, chocolate ice cream is tasting flat. I also used to be hooked on mochas from the coffee stands ~ now, not so much. OMG ! Am I not too long for this world? {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Super Contributor

cottage cheese- it gave me a gallbladder attack, never touched it again

Honored Contributor

For at least 8 years now I haven't been able to taste or smell anything. Well, actually, every now and then a smell or taste will come through, but not often.

Because of that I've lost a lot of weight. Think about it, if you can't smell, you aren't interested in eating something.

Just last night I was eating out with a friend. We went to Red Robbins restaurant (they specialize in milk shakes and hamburgers). She is a perfect size (weight and height). She ALWAYS finished all of her food (every bit). I NEVER finish my food.

Last night I took two bites of the hamburger, drank 1/2 of the milkshake and was totally full! She gets upset with me (only because she cares) not eating, but I just can't shove it down my throat.

I'm still not skinny. Like no one would say, "Wow! Put on weight". But I've gone down a few sizes of clothes.

The Drs don't know why I've lost the smell and taste. I've had every test done (MRI, you name it). All is well there.

Sometimes it's like being in a Vortex. I'm not complaining. It is what it is. There are a lot worse things.

But back to the question. I once read where there is something you can sit and think about if you want to stop your craving for something. It is a Yoga position and a Mantra you say over and over. Supposedly, it works.

Honored Contributor

Anything that costs too much now, I don't care for and stop getting.

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/23/2014 annabellethecat said:

For at least 8 years now I haven't been able to taste or smell anything. Well, actually, every now and then a smell or taste will come through, but not often.

Because of that I've lost a lot of weight. Think about it, if you can't smell, you aren't interested in eating something.

Just last night I was eating out with a friend. We went to Red Robbins restaurant (they specialize in milk shakes and hamburgers). She is a perfect size (weight and height). She ALWAYS finished all of her food (every bit). I NEVER finish my food.

Last night I took two bites of the hamburger, drank 1/2 of the milkshake and was totally full! She gets upset with me (only because she cares) not eating, but I just can't shove it down my throat.

I'm still not skinny. Like no one would say, "Wow! Put on weight". But I've gone down a few sizes of clothes.

The Drs don't know why I've lost the smell and taste. I've had every test done (MRI, you name it). All is well there.

Sometimes it's like being in a Vortex. I'm not complaining. It is what it is. There are a lot worse things.

But back to the question. I once read where there is something you can sit and think about if you want to stop your craving for something. It is a Yoga position and a Mantra you say over and over. Supposedly, it works.

Sorry you lost your sense of taste and smell. I find that when I have a cold and cannot taste or smell a darn thing, I still eat the same not so good for me foods. You would think I would only eat healthy stuff, but I guess those habits are hard to break. I imagine over time that would change.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

Coffee...used to love it ...LOVE. Now I don't ever drink it.

Since my weight loss surgery I pretty much have no interest in most food. It's been almost 4 Yeats.Never had a hunger pang since either.It's so odd.... don't like what I loved and now I eat cottage cheese and cauliflower (which I never ate before)...but not together ,mind you.LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Soft drinks - mainly Coke and Dr Pepper, sometimes Pepsi. I used to have some next to me almost all the time, although I did tend to have a lot of ice and let it get watered down somewhat. I love sweet iced tea, but could never seem to get the taste exactly right. Then a friend told me I could use Welch's White Grape Raspberry Juice or White Grape Peach Juice concentrates, and put some in the tea to flavor it. Now I especially love my tea with peach flavor, and cannot even drink a cola drink any more - it burns my mouth! So have not bought or consumed them now for close to a year. And it's healthier because I use Domino Light Sugar/Stevia blend to sweeten it.Smile