Trusted Contributor

How do you keep french toast from being soggy

I love french toast, but every time I make it, it is soggy. Today I tried it in a panera press---same result. Any suggestions?

Honored Contributor

Re: How do you keep french toast from being soggy

I've never had soggy french toast ..... perhaps you aren't cooking it long enough so the inside is cooked?

Super Contributor

Your pan needs to be hotter.

Respected Contributor

I agree about the hotter pan. I use an electric frypan.

Honored Contributor

Brown both sides in butter in pan...finish cooking a few minutes in oven on a slotted grate over a cookie sheet. Cooks thoroughly, fluffy and tender every time. I always leave my bread out uncovered over night for firmness. Texas toast or any firm bread works well. Good luck!
~H~
Respected Contributor

The only time mine is ever soggy is when I dip.it too long in the egg mixture. If just quickly dunk in both sides, it comes out fine.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Super Contributor

Hot pan and mixture of part oil part butter to fry in

Honored Contributor

On 4/22/2014 Helen47 said: Brown both sides in butter in pan...finish cooking a few minutes in oven on a slotted grate over a cookie sheet. Cooks thoroughly, fluffy and tender every time. I always leave my bread out uncovered over night for firmness. Texas toast or any firm bread works well. Good luck!

ITA leaving the bread out and you need a challah or broche type of bread with thicker slices

Esteemed Contributor

Usually do stove top (as opposed to oven), and I start it by cooking on low & covered (to cook the inside), flip; flip again, and then I turn up the heat and uncover to crisp the outside, one more flip.

Super Contributor

On 4/23/2014 jackthebear said:
On 4/22/2014 Helen47 said: Brown both sides in butter in pan...finish cooking a few minutes in oven on a slotted grate over a cookie sheet. Cooks thoroughly, fluffy and tender every time. I always leave my bread out uncovered over night for firmness. Texas toast or any firm bread works well. Good luck!

ITA leaving the bread out and you need a challah or broche type of bread with thicker slices

Challah makes the best French toast. I put mine into the oven at 400 degrees for 3 or 4 minutes before I put it into the egg mixture.