Valued Contributor

I just purchased my first cast iron skillet. I'm so excited to try it out. What are some good things to prepare in a cast iron skillet? TIA for any and all ideas!

Super Contributor

Re: My first cast iron skillet

Cornbread- We used to have one "dedicated" to cornbread- Great for frying chicken- My Dad used to fry salt pork or slab bacon, onions, garlic then add canned tomatoes and corn and okra! good stuff! sometimes he sub'd lima beans for the okra...

Super Contributor

Anything and everything,stove top and oven,even on the grill.
Honored Contributor

Start with bacon, this is a good way to get the seasoning process started. I use mine for frittatas, german pancakes and cornbread. Also good for coffee cake too........

Contributor

Anything you would ever cook in a non-stick skillet and more!

Honored Contributor

Be sure to season your new skillet before using it and follow the care instructions for cast iron so it will give you years of use, and only get better as it ages.

Occasional Contributor

Pineapple upside down cake......yummy!

Respected Contributor

We make great cornbread, a variety of chicken recipes, hamburgers, spaghetti sauce, eggs, and yesterday we make an unbelievable pineapple upside down cake. Go to the Lodge Cast Iron cookware website homepage (www.lodgemfg.com), click on "Recipes", and you'll see a screen full of indoor and outdoor recipes. On the website you'll also see information on how to clean, store and use cast iron cookware. We have it and we love it. {#emotions_dlg.wub} {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Valued Contributor

Thanks to all for the suggestions and tips!

Honored Contributor

Some are pre-seasoned, which is a good idea, I'm guessing. Haven't bought new, so I'm just guessing.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).