Super Contributor

Try anything new this Easter dinner? How'd it turn out?

I made this asparagus soup for the first time.

It was excellent. I made one modification from the original recipe. I put all the cooked asparagus stems into my Cuisinart with a little bit of the broth, then added all that puree to the soup.

In any case, this one is a keeper.

Here's the recipe from Taste of Home.

Honored Contributor

Re: Try anything new this Easter dinner? How'd it turn out?

I made pioneer woman's hot bacon dressing with baby spinach, bacon, eggs, mushrooms. It was ok..when I fried the bacon it did not yield enough grease to make an adequate amount of dressing (none of us like a lot of dressing) so it was a bit dry....Usually bacon is full of grease but not this time, otherwise everything else was good!

Esteemed Contributor

I made a cheddar hash brown casserole from Taste of Home. The family loved it.

Honored Contributor

I baked the coconut cake that someone shared in recipe swap...it was a hit; DD said I had to bring it to every family gathering from now on!

Respected Contributor

I made Aunt Bertie' s Scalloped Potatoes (from the recipe swap boards).Two simple ingredients yielded massive compliments!!!

Honored Contributor

Found an old piece of cake in the freezer.......poured Cherry Heering over it and nuked it.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor

Wish I had a reason to cook a big Easter supper this year, but my dad passed away on Friday. I ate the leftover half of a subway sandwich... at least I ate something.

Honored Contributor

{{Jules}}

I'm sorry for your loss.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I did a mix of old and new:

Since it's just me, I did my usual lamb chops recipe:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Lamb-au-Poivre-107744

and my usual Buttered Turnips Puree from Tyler Florence:

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/246712885808460623/

Hit:

Warm Brie with figs and pistachios. OMG is this good.

http://www.bhg.com/recipe/warm-brie-with-fig-and-pistachio-tapenade/

Misses:

I made a coconut curry cauliflower recipe off Pinterest that is okay. The curry is really good but the cauliflower needs something else as cauliflower is so so bland. It's screaming for chicken or green beans I think.

I made mini apple pies that were not that great. I should have used my pie filling recipe for Granny Smith apple pie and just cut it down for these 2 mini skillets. The sugar/cinnamon wasn't right and it probably needed a splash of lemon juice. Plus it called for corn starch instead of flour and it just made the apples even more bland since the pies are so tiny. The pie crust was great, I used leftover scraps from all of my apple pie testing last summer for our city's 4th of July apple pie contest. I forgot it was in there, so I decided to use that up.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Super Contributor

On 4/20/2014 birkin baby said:

I made Aunt Bertie' s Scalloped Potatoes (from the recipe swap boards).Two simple ingredients yielded massive compliments!!!

Ooooh.. I'll have to look into that. I also have had my eye on the coconut cake mentioned above, but since I'm the only one in this house who likes coconut… maybe I'd better steer clear of it.