Respected Contributor

I was talking to my BFF yesterday, and she was telling me about her neighbor who isn't a very good cook...nor is she the sharpest knife in the drawer.

The neighbor decided to try and bake a cake for the first time, and she asked my friend why the cake was sticking to the pan, even though she followed the instructions exactly. My friend, who apparently is getting to know what her neighbor is like, had her explain everything she did. to try and figure out the problem Well, the instructions said to grease the bottom of the pan....so that's what she did: She greased the BOTTOM of the pan! {#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Another time the woman made a recipe, and told my friend it didn't taste quite right. The recipe called for cloves, and she used cloves alright....of garlic! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Anyone hear of any other stupid kitchen tricks they'd like to share...your own or someone else's?

Contributor

I had a roommate bake a ham without taking off the plastic casing that it was wrapped with. Then there was my exSIL that cooked a big pan of oatmeal for breakfast so she could have extra for her oatmeal bath. Wanted to know how much sugar and butter to add to the bath water.

Super Contributor

When we were kids, my cousin made a grilled cheese sandwich without removing the wrapper from the Kraft singles. {#emotions_dlg.blink}

The first year my SIL and I were new to hubby's family we were each asked to bake something for Thanksgiving. When we cut into her pumpkin pie it became apparent that she didn't take the wax paper off the frozen crust. That was 32 years ago and she still gets teased about it!

Honored Contributor

Super Contributor
On 4/18/2014 Flo08 said:

I had a roommate bake a ham without taking off the plastic casing that it was wrapped with. Then there was my exSIL that cooked a big pan of oatmeal for breakfast so she could have extra for her oatmeal bath. Wanted to know how much sugar and butter to add to the bath water.

Valued Contributor

OMG. I Love this story, Funky. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

BF made me a turkey/cheese sandwich for my school lunch a few weeks ago. When I bit into it, I noticed he didn't take the paper off of the cheese. {#emotions_dlg.glare}

Honored Contributor

I once passed a "cheeseburger rice" recipe onto a co-worker. Hers didn't quite turn out, as she forgot to use Minute Rice and instead used a long cooking rice. Her husband thought it was a bit "crunchy" but was a good sport about it and still ate it.

Respected Contributor

After an afternoon spent baking & frosting a cake, I mistook a dish of powdered sugar for flour in my haste to get dinner on the table & accidentally used that instead of flour in the pan gravy.

The first time my youngest sister cooked a holiday turkey, she did not know the neck & giblets were in a package inside the bird. At least they got cooked so Mom could use them for the gravy.

{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Guess my family just has gravy issues

Honored Contributor

A lady at work rolled the cinnamon rolls up on the short side then tried to cut them the short length. She wondered why it only made four. . .