Frequent Contributor

Why did my bundt cake burn outside, moist inside?

Help please. Tried to bake a lemon bundt cake today in my new electric wall oven...followed directions and before min baking time had expired, smelled cake was burning!!! outside dark brown but inside is moist!!! Is oven temp off? did I lower the rack too much? Help please so I can learn for next time? Thank you in advance!

Respected Contributor

Re: Why did my bundt cake burn outside, moist inside?

Your oven temperature was too hot; try lowering it a bit next time - or better yet, get an oven thermometer and see if your oven needs calibrating.

Super Contributor

If your oven is anything like mine, every time the thermostat calls for heat, the coils light up above. When our oven was new I had similar issues. Baked cakes burned on the outside while they were not done inside. Besides placing them on the lowest rack, I now place a piece of aluminum foil on the top rack, a few inches below the coils to deflect the heat--Voila! Today I made a vanilla-orange spongecake--perfection! Hope this helps!

Respected Contributor

On 4/18/2014 LoopyLoo said:

If your oven is anything like mine, every time the thermostat calls for heat, the coils light up above. When our oven was new I had similar issues. Baked cakes burned on the outside while they were not done inside. Besides placing them on the lowest rack, I now place a piece of aluminum foil on the top rack, a few inches below the coils to deflect the heat--Voila! Today I made a vanilla-orange spongecake--perfection! Hope this helps!

That sponge cake sounds good!

Esteemed Contributor

On 4/18/2014 FunkyHulaGirl said:

Your oven temperature was too hot; try lowering it a bit next time - or better yet, get an oven thermometer and see if your oven needs calibrating.

This{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Esteemed Contributor

On 4/18/2014 birkin baby said:
On 4/18/2014 LoopyLoo said:

That sponge cake sounds good!

Yes it does!Smile

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

you probably need to get an oven thermometer and check the actual temp

bummer on the cake, I love lemon desserts.

Regular Contributor

Invest in a good pan - I use Wilton - they are heavy and heat evenly.

Honored Contributor

Were you using a dark coated pan? I never had good luck with dark pans, things always burned. I only use stainless for baking now. No non-stick stuff.

Frequent Contributor

I have a baking thermometer I use for Bundt cakes. It's made by Nordic Ware. It really works.

I agree you should get an oven thermometer to check for accuracy; also that your oven was too hot. If you used a dark pan, that could be a problem, too. I use only Nordic Ware bundt pans in gold or platinum, the heavy duty ones that cost about $35.