Respected Contributor

I stopped by Aldi for some strawberries yesterday, and it was a madhouse! No strawberries, but I saw they have some new breads: Cornbread (which they call"'Kornbread"), brioche, and na'an.

I bought the na'an, and just had some - I used it as a pizza base, and boy, was it ever good! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} I'm sorry I didn't get the brioche - it would probably make a fabulous stuffed French toast - but I'll get it next time. Hopefully these will be regular items.

Definitely recommend your trying these!

Respected Contributor

I love naan and it does make great pizza. I appreciate the tip.

Esteemed Contributor

Dang! I was there this morning and did not look at the bread. Their brioche makes the best French toast! Made it with their chocolate chip brioche at Christmas. The best!

Frequent Contributor

I picked up their vanilla brioche yesterday. It is killer-good. Imported from France but tastes like it was baked this morning.

I have also bought their pumpernickel and rye breads imported from Germany. Small loaves, which are perfect for us as we don't eat much bread. Made with whole grains and wholesome ingredients.

Contributor
On 4/18/2014 FunkyHulaGirl said:

I bought the na'an, and just had some - I used it as a pizza base, and boy, was it ever good! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} I'm sorry I didn't get the brioche - it would probably make a fabulous stuffed French toast - but I'll get it next time. Hopefully these will be regular items.

Definitely recommend your trying these!

FunkyHulaGirl- Would you be willing to share your stuffed french toast recipe?

TIA-Via

Respected Contributor
On 4/18/2014 Vianney said:

FunkyHulaGirl- Would you be willing to share your stuffed french toast recipe?

TIA-Via

Sure; I have two:

Stuffed French Toast

1 cup peeled and chopped firm fruit of your choice (strawberries, apples, etc.)
butter
1 tablespoon orange juice
1 egg...beaten
2 tablespoons water
1/4 cup milk
a couple drops almond or vanilla extract
8 slices bread
maple syrup

Grease griddle or non stick skillet. Saute chopped fruit in a little butter til just slightly soft. Stir in juice. Heat til partly evaporated...bout 2 minutes. Set aside and cool slightly. Mix egg, water, milk and extract. Pour into a shallow pie plate. Pour 1/4 of the fruit filling on the center of the bread slice. Cover with a second slice of bread. Dip the sandwich in the egg mixture turning to coat both sides. Repeat for all. Heat on medium heat 0on lightly greased griddle or skillet. Brown both sides and serve with butter and syrup.

Peanut Butter and Banana Stuffed French Toast

3 servings

Ingredients

6 slices day-old white or wheat bread
1 to 2 ripe bananas
8 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
Honey, for drizzling
4 eggs
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 tablespoon dark rum
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Dash salt
Butter or oil, for frying
Powdered sugar, for topping
Maple Syrup, for topping

Directions

Remove crust from bread. Lay bread out on counter and spread a thin layer of peanut butter on each slice. Peel banana and slice enough to cover every other piece of bread. (You will be making 3 complete sandwiches). Drizzle a small amount of honey on each piece of bread that does not have banana on it. (These are the tops). Place honey drizzled piece of bread on top of a piece with bananas on it to make a sandwich. Repeat until you have made 3 sandwiches.

In a shallow medium sized bowl, gently whip, by hand, the eggs, cream, vanilla, rum, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.

Heat skillet to medium heat, around 350 to375 degrees F, or until butter melts and begins to sizzle. Dip 1 sandwich at a time into rum batter and place into skillet. Cook until golden brown (about 3 to 4 minutes before turning) on each side. Remove from skillet and cut in 1/2 diagonally. Top with powdered sugar, butter and maple syrup.

Contributor

Thank you! I bought the bread from Aldi's today, and I'm going to try this for Easter morning! Doesn't seem to hard, and sounds wonderful!

Super Contributor

I haven't tried any of their new bread. . .but there 100% whole wheat bread is THE BEST!!!

Respected Contributor

What I love is that their breads and even their hamburger & hot dog buns don't have any HFCS in them!