Super Contributor

What's one make-ahead trick that saves your holiday sanity?

The mashed potatoes thread got me thinking that there are probably a bunch of other things I could be doing ahead of time.

Today I prepared the cream cheese frosting for the cake I'll bake on Sunday.

I made the mashed potatoes and put them in a covered baking dish to bake on Sunday.

I prepared a mustard sauce for the ham.

I peeled and cut the carrots that I'll be roasting. They should stay fine in a Tupperware until then.

Please share your tricks with us.

Honored Contributor

Re: What's one make-ahead trick that saves your holiday sanity?

On Thursday I prepped several things for Easter dinner, fried bacon, made a cream cheese filling for a dessert, pulverized oreos. Tomorrow I might make the potatoes and then reheat, which the recipe says you can do, I like to be prepared!

Honored Contributor

House cat ~ The biggest time-saver for me (when we have a ton of people over) is to clean the house and set the table the day before. This way, the day of the holiday is spent in the kitchen with DH and just focusing on the meal prep.....drinking wine, cooking......

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

I make reservations 6 weeks ahead of time.

Honored Contributor

Go to someone else's house--I am!!!!

Honored Contributor

I agree with Chynna Blue, make reservations. I haven't cooked a holiday dinner in 7 years now and my stress level is zero. It took DH awhile to get on board with this idea, but now he looks forward to holiday dinners out.

Honored Contributor

On 4/18/2014 depglass said:

I agree with Chynna Blue, make reservations. I haven't cooked a holiday dinner in 7 years now and my stress level is zero. It took DH awhile to get on board with this idea, but now he looks forward to holiday dinners out.

I like that idea but if we (my dh and I) have to pick up the tab it would really be expensive!

Honored Contributor

Call the caterer.

Honored Contributor

I, too, set the table a day or two ahead. I also clean "more distant" areas of the house up to a week ahead of time, then declare them off limits. Places like the guest room, guest bath, garage, laundry room etc., the places that are for the guests or that guest really won't be seeing much, if any, and then keep husband and kid out of those areas so they stay neat and tidy.

I prepare as many sides and casseroles that are able to be just baked or reheated, the day before. Chop and prep and other foods that will be used the day of.

Best thing you can do is simplify. If you can tolerate it, reduce the menu items, ask for people to bring a dish, don't use fine china and crystal if there is a fear of breakage because of large numbers or lots of kids, just try to keep the stress down. Let guest help, it makes for more visiting time and bonding.

Esteemed Contributor

Three words: Easter brunch reservations.

I am involved with the music ministry at my church. Holy week is crazy. No time to clean and cook. Easter brunch has been our tradition for many years.