Trusted Contributor

How do you clean a bacon press

I just got a bacon press---iron with a wooden handle. I used it once. I put it in the dishwasher to get the grease off, but now it looks a bit rusty. Just running it under warm water (I don't have hot water in the kitchen sink) doesn't work at decreasing. Help.

Super Contributor

Re: How do you clean a bacon press

Treat the bacon press the same as any other cast iron cookware. Not necessary to degrease a bacon press; just wipe it off. The grease is what keeps it seasoned. By putting in the dishwasher, you've 'unseasoned' your press.

Normal cleaning - just use some hot water (heat water in a kettle or whatever), and if anything is stuck, use some kosher salt to remove. NO scouring pads. NO detergents. NO DISHWASHER!

Since you now have a rusty press, it's time to re-season your press. First, remove all the rust. Then, wash thoroughly in hot soapy water with a brush. Dry THOROUGHLY. Remove the screws holding the handle in place. Cover the entire press ALL OVER with a very thin coating of plain Crisco or lard. Place in preheated 375° oven for about an hour to an hour and a half. Let cool in the oven.

It's a good idea to place a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil on the rack below the rack you are putting the press on. Also, a good idea to support the press and raise above the oven rack. A couple of foil wrapped bricks will work. Rest the very edge of top of the press on the very edge of three bricks. Set the press on the bricks with the working side UP

Whenever you use the press from now on, make sure it's thoroughly dry before storing, and it should have a VERY light coating of plain oil or even food grade mineral oil. Store in dry place (mine lives in the oven). Bacon press is very handy for making any kind of pressed sandwiches, or even pressing a chicken.