Respected Contributor

Just watched a video clip showing other uses for an Ice Tray, here are some of the tips:

Freeze herbs in EVOO

Freeze stock for later use

Freeze leftover tomato paste and sauce

Freeze cookie dough to bake later

Freeze milk to use in my Vitamix to make ice cream Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Can you think of other uses???? Please post

After the trays are frozen, pop out the cubes and put them in a plastic bag, then back in the freezer for when you need them. Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: Other uses for an Ice Tray

I don't even have ice cube trays anymore. I like the ideas you posted so maybe I will go pick some up.

Honored Contributor

Cupcake tins are great for some of that too, when you want a larger portion per unit. I do that with a few things - I fill up the cupcake tins (or my silicone cupcake cups-which I can put twelve of into one of my Lock & Lock containers for freezing). Then I pop it out and vacuum seal them in as many per bag as is practical for my uses.

Respected Contributor

I freeze lemon and lime juices into cubes for later use, then put them into baggies. Great for lemonade in the summer, etc. We have citrus trees and don't want to waste that juice.

When my children and grands were small, I used to make mini popsicles for them. (The big ones melt before they can finish in the hot summer here.)

Esteemed Contributor

Freeze pieces of fruit in juice for adding to punch or sangria.

Occasional Contributor

I use ice cube trays for small jewelry (rings, earrings).

Honored Contributor

It's good for doing experiments. You have a good sample size for different assortments.

Frequent Contributor

Freezing herbs in the ice trays works great. I've done basil and then dropped a cube or two into soups, sauces, etc. and it tastes like fresh.

Honored Contributor

I don't drink coffee, but you can freeze leftover coffee to add to iced coffee drinks in the summer, without watering them down.

Super Contributor

I actually make ice cubes in mine. I prefer the size of the cubes from the trays. Only thing I use the icemaker crescents for is when making crushed ice and sometimes narrow neck water bottles.

I love my 6 covered ice trays. That's what I use for freezing lemon and lime juices. I use a lot of lemons and limes.

Also have several silicone trays that make 2" ice cubes and a mold for round 'cubes'. Great for bar use for a party. These are great with fruit inside for slow melting cubes for punch bowls. Silicone muffin liners - mini, regular and jumbo size are also good or this. Silicone bundt pan is great for a large ice ring in punch bowl.