Contributor

Hey everyone,

My microwave just dies this morning. It fizzes and cracks at the top of the inside. So I was wondering if there's anyone out there who gets by without using a microwave. If so, what are your suggestions? I have a lot of frozen veggies, so what do I do with them now? Should I steam them?

Thanks for your time!

Valued Contributor

you should buy a toaster or convection oven, so much better than a microwave. and yes, you can steam frozen vegetables.

Respected Contributor

I mostly use my microwave as a breadbox these days - microwaving changes the DNA of food.

You can steam frozen veggies, or heat them in a pot with a little bit of water. I got a small cast iron pot for melting chocolate and butter, and reheat food in the oven. People got along until 30 or so years ago without a microwave, so it's hardly a necessity.

Honored Contributor

Can't you just buy a new microwave? Like refigerators, stoves and televisions; microwaves are a very necessary part of life now. I don't know anyone who doesn't have one or would want to be without one. Ours died around this time last year and I had to go a WHOLE 6 days without one. And it was hard. Until then, I had no idea how often I just "popped" something into the micro. You can go old school and use your stove top, the oven the broiler. It will all come back to you. None of grew up with microwaves.

Esteemed Contributor

You can roast veggies from frozen in a good toaster oven. I prefer roasting to steaming.

Super Contributor

They are disposable these days- Love the panasonic that I got when mine died a couple years ago- and they are so CHEAP now - My very first huge Litton cost over $600 and it DID last about 15years- those days are gone-

I , for one, don't want to live without a microwave, not when I can get a good one for about $100!

Super Contributor
On 4/15/2014 FunkyHulaGirl said:

I mostly use my microwave as a breadbox these days - microwaving changes the DNA of food.

You can steam frozen veggies, or heat them in a pot with a little bit of water. I got a small cast iron pot for melting chocolate and butter, and reheat food in the oven. People got along until 30 or so years ago without a microwave, so it's hardly a necessity.

How, exactly, does the microwave "change" the DNA of food?

To put it bluntly, it can't-Microwaves are a nonionizing form of radiation, which means they cannot break apart the nucleus of a cell, they cannot break DNA apart, and there
is no evidence to suggest that it could cause cancer.

Not like ionizing radiation, which can beak apart DNA and cause
cellular damage. Examples of these are: x-rays, ultraviolet rays, gamma
radiation, and cosmic radiation. This is why humans should minimize
x-rays, wear protective spacesuits in space, and useon sunscreen whenin the sun-

Respected Contributor

There are hundreds of articles about the harmful effects of microwaves; a Google search will bring them up. Start here:

http://www.naturalnews.com/036224_genetic_disorders_DNA_electropollution.html

http://www.naturalnews.com/039404_microwave_ovens_vitamins_nutrients.html

http://www.naturalnews.com/030665_microwaved_food_cancer.html

http://www.naturalnews.com/022015_microwave_oven_power.html

Of course you'll find "scientific studies" that will tell you microwaving is safe, but as with all studies you need to look at who's funding them. It's perfectly legal for a company to perform hundreds of tests...and then choose the one whose results are closest to what they're trying to "prove."

Personally, I think taking a chance with your health just to save a few minutes is foolish, not when there are so many viable alternatives to cooking and even reheating food.

Esteemed Contributor

If you buy a new microwave, buy a Sharp. Best, longest lasting microwave on the market, IMO.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

Microwaves are about the least expensive appliance to replace now since the price has come down so much....get another one and enjoy the convenience again.