Trusted Contributor

YOGURT discussions......This is a "no" brand for me......

WalMart has Muller FrutUp brand on sale, and I was not familiar with this.....So I looked it up.......Boy am I glad, so that I will be sure to avoid this all the way...........Wink I would have never guessed what the last 2 ingredients are...........{#emotions_dlg.crying}

BLUEBERRY BLISS
NUTRITION FACTS
Serving Size 1 container (150g)
Amount Per Serving
Calories 140
Calories from Fat 15
% Daily Value
Total Fat 1.5g2%
Saturated Fat 1g5%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 10mg3%
Sodium 75mg3%
Total Carbohydrates 26g9%
Dietary Fiber 0g0%
Sugars 23g
Protein 7g14%
Vitamin A0%
·Vitamin C0%
Calcium15%
·Iron0%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
INGREDIENTS: CULTURED PASTEURIZED GRADE A REDUCED FAT MILK, SUGAR, WATER, BLUEBERRY JUICE FROM CONCENTRATE, BLUEBERRY PUREE, BLUEBERRIES, DEXTROSE, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, KOSHER GELATIN, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, CONCENTRATED HIBISCUS AND CARROT JUICE (FOR COLOR), CITRIC ACID, NATURAL FLAVOR, GLYCERYL-LACTO ESTERS OF FATTY ACIDS, CARMINE (FOR COLOR), CITRIC ACID, NITROGEN.
CONTAINS: MILK, TILAPIA (FISH) {#emotions_dlg.blink}{#emotions_dlg.crying}{#emotions_dlg.confused1}{#emotions_dlg.ohmy}
The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Honored Contributor

Re: YOGURT discussions......This is a ""no"" brand for me......

nasty!!!!

Honored Contributor

Citric acid and nitrogen?

Esteemed Contributor

What the ....?! blech! good thing you looked it up!

Trusted Contributor

The kosher gelatin in the ingredient list is made from tilapia.

This is a kosher product, and in order to be certified, it cannot contain regular gelatin. Regular gelatin is made from various non-kosher animals. Even gelatin made from kosher animals could not be used because it would entail mixing a meat product with dairy which is forbidden. The only options would be to avoid gelatin (which helps the consistency), use fish gelatin, or use a vegetable substitute (which does not provide the same texture).

Honored Contributor

It's good yogurt. I buy when it's on sale; otherwise, too expensive.

Trusted Contributor

On 4/13/2014 KYToby said:

The kosher gelatin in the ingredient list is made from tilapia.

This is a kosher product, and in order to be certified, it cannot contain regular gelatin. Regular gelatin is made from various non-kosher animals. Even gelatin made from kosher animals could not be used because it would entail mixing a meat product with dairy which is forbidden. The only options would be to avoid gelatin (which helps the consistency), use fish gelatin, or use a vegetable substitute (which does not provide the same texture).

So much for those who still believe that you can not mix fish and milk.......as well as fish and meat...........Hope they are label readers.........{#emotions_dlg.crying} I know why the talapia, I just do not like the thoughts of "fish" in my yogurt, as bovine and milk are from the same animal, and seem more natural.......Just a mind over matter thing.........Wink

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Trusted Contributor

I love Fage Total Plain Greek Yogurt, 2%.

I usually add a little vanilla & stevia. Sometimes I add a few berries, or a couple slices of chopped apple. Sometimes I add 2 Tablespoons chopped almonds.

INGREDIENTS

Grade A Pasteurized Skimmed Milk and Cream, Live Active Yogurt Cultures (L. Bulgaricus, S. Thermophilus, L. Acidophilus, Bifidus, L. Casei).

Frequent Contributor

I too love Fage plain greek yogurt. I have been buying the O% and I add some slivered almonds and honey to mine. I usually buy the big size at Sam's and it is a great deal. After eating the O% I did try one of the smaller 2% and it felt like I was cheating...so rich and creamy.

Esteemed Contributor

The tilapia is bad enough! What about the carmine?!