Respected Contributor

April 12- Today is Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day Whats on your favorite sandwich?

I just like a slice of cheddar cheese on whole wheat bread. Instead of butter or margarine, use mayo to lightly coat the outside of the bread. Put in a heated cast iron pan, and brown it on both sides. Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Watch out so it doesn't burn!!

Respected Contributor

Re: April 12- Today is Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day Whats on your favorite sandwich?

Never tried mayo. Will have to try it. I like Arnold or Pepperidge Farm whole wheat. I use American cheese--sliced from the deli counter. It melts just right. I like a slice or 2 of ham if I have any. Precook the ham first (I use a nonstick pan) as the ham contains water and makes the sandwich watery if the meat isn't cooked first.

I feel like having one now. Grilled cheese for breakfast?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: April 12- Today is Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day Whats on your favorite sandwich?

Mayo? Interesting, I will have to try that.

I like real american cheese (not the wrapped slices of "cheese food") on wheat bread with real butter alongside a bowl of tomato soup.

Funkyhulagirl posted this recipe(I saved it to try it)that looks like a delicious and decadent twist on the traditional

Ingredients

1/3 cup whipped cream cheese
1/4 cup small-curd cottage cheese
2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, plus more for topping
4 frozen waffles (untoasted)
1 to 2 tablespoons jam (any flavor)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, plus more if needed
Ground cinnamon, for topping

Instructions

Mix the cream cheese, cottage cheese and confectioners' sugar in a medium bowl. Spread 2 waffles with the jam, then top with the cream cheese mixture; cover with the remaining 2 waffles.

Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sandwiches and cook until golden and crisp, about 3 minutes per side, adding more butter to the pan if needed. (Adjust the heat if the waffles are browning too quickly.)

Let the sandwiches rest 1 minute before serving. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and cinnamon.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Esteemed Contributor

three cheeses, tomato and pesto for my grilled cheese.

Respected Contributor

Very basic: soft white bread, thick slices of Velvetta and some margarine - yum!

Super Contributor

Rye Bread with Pepper Jack Cheese!

Honored Contributor

Wheat bread with deli american cheese. I prefer butter over mayo. I spread a little on and out in the oven at 380 for 8 minutes on each side. I like it crunchy. I usually put some french fries in the oven with it too, but they go in 25 minutes earlier.

Super Contributor

Have you ever tried grilled cheese with sliced apples on it? Really good! I also like the outside of the bread coated with a light layer of mayonnaise and grilled.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Trusted Contributor

It MUST have a nice fat slice of tomato on it-preferably fresh picked from my husband's gardenSmiley Happy

Regular Contributor

BLT on toast

Egg salad

Egg & pepper

Grilled cheese (with tomato soup of course)

Steak-ums with cheese & sauteed onions

Tuna salad

In that order.

I like mayo for the grilled cheese also. No one would know the difference if you didn't tell them & you only need a little bit.

@Madisson...I will try GC with the apple slices. Sounds good! Thanks!