Super Contributor

For those who enjoy so-called

"Prince Spaghetti Day"..I am thinking of trying WHOLE GRAIN Spaghetti as I know the "normal" noodles are really just straight starch which converts quickly to sugar in the bloodstream.

I have read that whole-grain pasta is a much better alternative (and I do eat whole-grain bread) but I am wondering--does it have a strange taste..or texture (mouth-feel)? Do all whole-grain noodles come in strange colors and is it natural coloring or artificial dye?

Does one cook it longer..are nutrients lost?

Would my dds see it and run screaming from the room? haha Inquiring minds want to know! thanks

Honored Contributor

Re: For those who enjoy so-called

We have switched to whole grain or whole wheat pasta. It's not all that different of a mouth feel. You want to be careful not to overcook it, though, or it will break apart. I've used linquine, spaghetti, rotini, penne, mostaccioli, elbow macaroni all successfully. Initially, you may detect a slight flavor difference, but it's not bad. You will get beyond it because you're committing to a lifestyle change and your sauce will still be the star of the dish. Most of the whole grain or whole wheat pastas will be a brown color in the box. Upon cooking some brands will remain darker than others, while some will be only slightly darker than the regular kind of pasta. Follow the box directions for cooking times and you should be fine. They're pretty much the same as you're used to.

Super Contributor

Thank you so much for your fast reply!

I do not do much cooking, but am looking forward to trying this.

I am a sauce-in-a-jar user (I add onions/etc.) and also want to "upgrade" from PREGO..any suggestions for a robust/zesty brand of sauce? I would look for possibly "organic" or "low-sugar"...I figure there is no sense in using whole-grain spaghetti and then ruin it by dumping high-sugar content sauce on top!

I am NOT a "from scratch" cook..(or any cook at all. really....) so if anyone here uses a high quality sauce-in-a-jar please share the brand w me!

Thank you so much..

BTW--I may not read any answers until tomorrow early am. when I am next on computer!

I say this in case it seems like I have disappeared...thanks

Honored Contributor

Oh I think its insane that manufacturers put sugar in spaghetti sauce!! Insane! I am only a ""from scratch"" cook mainly because I don't eat all the sodium and sugar manufacturers put in foods. I only use whole wheat pasta.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Some brands are better than others keep trying till u find the one you like as for sauce here we have have one that sells for a about $1 on sale called Colona that is low on sugar. The big name brands are loaded with it they taste too sweet. Making yr own is pretty easy with a can of tomatoes but there isn't always time for that
Honored Contributor

I can't stomach whole grain pasta. You might want to try Barilla Plus which is a bit easier to take. It's a multi grain/chick pea combination.

Aslo thin pasta like angel hair or linguine are a little easier to get used to.

Trusted Contributor

I tried brown rice pasta and found it to be surprisingly decent. I liked it better than the whole wheat.

Respected Contributor

On 3/28/2014 fitnessfreak said:

Thank you so much for your fast reply!

I do not do much cooking, but am looking forward to trying this.

I am a sauce-in-a-jar user (I add onions/etc.) and also want to "upgrade" from PREGO..any suggestions for a robust/zesty brand of sauce? I would look for possibly "organic" or "low-sugar"...I figure there is no sense in using whole-grain spaghetti and then ruin it by dumping high-sugar content sauce on top!

I am NOT a "from scratch" cook..(or any cook at all. really....) so if anyone here uses a high quality sauce-in-a-jar please share the brand w me!

Thank you so much..

BTW--I may not read any answers until tomorrow early am. when I am next on computer!

I say this in case it seems like I have disappeared...thanks

I don't know if you feel like you couldn't make your own sauce or just don't have the time, but if you're adding "onions/etc." anyway then it really isn't hard to make your own sauce! Put some olive oil in a pan, sauté your onions, dump in a can of stewed tomatoes and break them up with your spoon, put in some fresh garlic, a little salt and pepper, and that's a terrific base. I love adding fresh basil to mine, and sautéed mushrooms, but dried Italian seasoning is nice, or whatever other spices you have on hand. You can add a little sugar if you feel it needs extra sweetness. Add some tomato sauce if you want it "saucier". This cooks so quickly and is super easy, but if you want to let it simmer for a bit it will just develop the flavors more.

Having said that, I will say most of the time during the week I don't want to take the time to make my own sauce either, and I rely on jarred sauces. Just read the labels to make sure you know what you're getting (and what you're not getting). The best ones I've found have actually been small local brands (like my store brand makes an excellent organic pasta sauce with minimal ingredients and no added sugar that is comparable in price to Barilla). For national brands, Newman's Own makes a couple good ones, Barilla (but again, read the labels because some of them are high in sugar), and Mario Batali's jarred sauces are excellent but crazy pricey and I'll only buy them on sale.

Super Contributor

I switched ages ago and found the Ronzoni whole wheat tastes the best. Since then I have found I have a very strong intolerance to gluten and switched to brown rice pasta. Brown rice pasta tastes just as good (I think better) than the whole wheat! No gluten, less starch.

Respected Contributor

I can barely tell the difference in pastas because they are pretty bland, and the sauce is what tastes good.