Super Contributor

Need some easy/quick dinner ideas for kids

My DD's tumultuous divorce is finally final. She and her X split child custody 50/50 (three kids 8, 5, and almost 2). Ever since this long road started almost 2 years ago, she has slacked off terribly relative to cooking and providing decent dinners (think she's in a depressed state). I want to help her out by making some meals to bring over and giving her some good ideas of what to cook. Any good ideas for kid friendly meals would be appreciated.
Super Contributor

Re: Need some easy/quick dinner ideas for kids

The first recipe that came to mind, that kids of all ages seem to love are Corn Dog Muffins. They are really quick and easy, and go great with soup, salad or eaten alone.

CORN DOG MUFFINS

2 Packages (8 1/2 ounces each) Cornbread/muffin mix

2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar

2 Eggs

1 Cup Milk

1 Can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn drained

5 Hot Dogs chopped (or Little Smokey cocktail hot dogs cut up amount would be to your preference since they are smaller)

In a large bowl combine cornbread mix and brown sugar. Combine eggs and milk, stir into dry ingredients until moistened. Stir in corn and hot dogs (batter will be thin). Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake at 400 degrees for 14 - 18 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Refrigerate left overs. Makes roughly 1 1/2 dozen.

The Second recipe that came to mind is Cola Chicken, one of our favorite recipes

COLA CHICKEN

1/2 cup chopped onion

2 tablespoons canola oil

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)

1 can (12 ounces) cola

1 cup ketchup

1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

1/8 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon pepper

4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch

3 tablespoons cold water

In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add chicken;

brown on all sides. Carefully add cola, ketchup, garlic powder, salt

and pepper. Cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until a meat

thermometer inserted in the chicken reads 170°. Remove the

chicken and keep warm.

Combine the cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually add to

the skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until

thickened. Return chicken to pan; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.

Both of these recipes came from my old issues of Taste of Home magazine and that is the best place for kid friendly recipes that are quick, easy and healthy with the best variety for all meals and snacks and that kids can be involved in. They have a whole entire section devoted just to kid friendly recipes. Here is the link directly to that section of the website http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/kids-recipes

Hope this helps.

T

Super Contributor

Bless you for being there for her and helping. I'm sure it has been a hard road, and hard on those little ones too.

I know for my kids, the simpler the better. Mine don't like their food mixed or touching other food, unless it is a pasta dish.

They love pasta, and that is a way to add good things in for them. Even spaghetti can be made a head and put in a slow cooker to have when needed.

Chicken tenders with roasted veggies and or potatoes. My youngest lives for french fries, and is very picky, but loves roasted potatoes. Meatloaf is another easy one to do.

My kids also enjoy a sandwich dinner which is quick and easy! You can pick whatever healthy bread or tortillas(for wraps), and meats, cheese and if they like veggies on it or not. Serve with veggie sticks and dip or sliced fruit that they like. Favorite here too is grilled cheese sandwiches.

I'm not much help, but I wish you the best!

Super Contributor

My kids, and now grandkids, love meatballs and spaghetti.This recipe is so simple and easy that there's no need to resort to jarred sauces which are not nearly as good or good for you!

1 28oz. can whole Italian plum tomatoes

2 small or 1 large can tomato paste

1 onion, chopped

few cloves garlic, chopped

1 tsp. dried basil

1--1 1/4 lbs. ground chuck

I whir the coarsely chopped onion and garlic in the processor to make short work of that task, then saute in a little olive oil in a large saucepan until translucent. Add tomato paste, tomatoes--juice and all, and basil, blending well. Simmer 30 minutes. Meanwhile make the meatballs. (I just use the chop meat for this--no need to add anything.) 1 lb. makes about 15. (Kids love to help with this job!) Place on a foil lined cookie sheet and bake @ 400* until browned and done (15-20 min?) Add into sauce and simmer a while longer so meatballs absorb sauce. Can make ahead and refrigerate or freeze until needed. The tomatoes are great as a substitute for meatballs if you don't eat meat--I don't even break them up!

I've also found a good way to get vegetables into them is to cut up fresh veggies and let them "graze"--everybody loves finger foods! Another trick is to make a "sunshine plate"--this works well in the summer when we're eating lighter foods--arrange the various offerings to create a face shape on the plate--tuna, cottage cheese, fruit, veggies, cheeses are great for this! It works every time!

I wish your daughter all the best. May she only know good things from now on!

Respected Contributor

Frequent Contributor

- Weelicious is a great website for cooking for/with kids and focuses on healthy selections prepared in a kid friendly way.

- Presenting the fruits and veggies in a fun way goes a long way with my young girls. Fruit kabobs they can dip in yogurt, homemade fruit and yogurt parfaits, edamame they shell themselves, salads they add their own toppings to, etc.

- What are the favorite foods of the kids now? If it's something that isn't the best for everyday, is there a way to incorporate it into meal in a different way? For example, make the mac and cheese a side dish and add broccoli.

- My girls like things that they can assemble themselves such as rice bowls (a la Chipolte), tacos, etc.

- Breakfast for dinner

- Chicken and biscuits and be reheated and assembled easily if you're just dropping it off.

- Sloppy joe with a side of veggies

- My youngest DD loves the rack of ribs made by Lloyds in the meat department that already has bbq sauce -- just wrap in foil and bake for an hour. Add corn bread, veggies, and another side for a big feast.

- Homemade pizza and let them pick toppings.

- Don't underestimate asking the kids either -- they can surprise you with their ideas! This morning on the way to school, my 5 year old requested steamed clams and a side salad for dinner.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure your DD will be very thankful to have your extra help and support!

Contributor

Hamburgers

Grilled Cheese & Soup

Scrambled Eggs & Toast

Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwiches with a side of Apple Slices