New Contributor

mac & cheese in pressure cooker

Can you make David"s mac & cheese, from his cook book, in the pressure cooker? Are there any adjustments needed?
Respected Contributor

Re: mac & cheese in pressure cooker

Personally, I would not try it. I checked 2 pressure cooking books that I have, and both say no pasta. My MIL pressure cooked everything except pasta.

Super Contributor

Have been making rice and pasta in both microwave and regular pressure cookers for many years. No reason why you can't. Just have to be sure to use the correct amount of cooking liquid for the pasta. For most pasta - 3 parts pasta to 2 parts water is good.

Pasta was dicey in some of the older stove top pressure cookers, but that's not a problem in the microwave, electronic ones and newer stovetop versions.

Trusted Contributor

I would like the recipe for Eric Theiss Mac and Cheese Recipe for the Microwave Pressure Cooker. I went to his Facebook page see the picture no link. David said it was on his Blog and I didn't see it. Can someone please help me locate this Recipe.

Trusted Contributor

I'm puzzled as to why one would want to cook pasta in a pressure cooker. It cooks in minutes in boiling water in a saucepan. You can add butter, cheese, cream, and seasonings and have stovetop mac & cheese in a jiffy. What's the advantage of using a pressure cooker?

Occasional Contributor

On 3/23/2014 Katey1261 said:

I would like the recipe for Eric Theiss Mac and Cheese Recipe for the Microwave Pressure Cooker. I went to his Facebook page see the picture no link. David said it was on his Blog and I didn't see it. Can someone please help me locate this Recipe.

Super Easy Mac N Cheese for the Prepology Microwave Pressure Cooker
Serves 4

3 cups pasta
2 cups water or broth
1 cup heavy cream
2 cups shredded cheddar
2 oz cream cheese
¼ cup shredded mozzarella
¼ cup grated parmesan...
¼ cup milk
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper

Directions:

1. Put pasta and water in the Prepology microwave pressure cooker, close lid and microwave on high for 12 min.

2. Let the steam come down on its own.

3. Add all the ingredients while hot and stir well.

4. Without lid, place back into microwave for 1 ½ minutes to finish.

5. Stir and serve.
Valued Contributor

On 3/23/2014 GoodStuff said:

I'm puzzled as to why one would want to cook pasta in a pressure cooker. It cooks in minutes in boiling water in a saucepan. You can add butter, cheese, cream, and seasonings and have stovetop mac & cheese in a jiffy. What's the advantage of using a pressure cooker?

Maybe it's just the idea of one-pot cooking? Also, you don't have to watch it as closely, probably? Just thinking lol

Frequent Contributor

Does anyone know if the cookbook for the Prepology Microwave Pressure Cooker is any where on the QVC site? I know I received one when I bought one some time ago, but I misplaced it and would like to print it out from this site again. I know I've been able to do that with other pressure cookers here. Thanks for your help.

Trusted Contributor

On 3/23/2014 sann823 said:
On 3/23/2014 Katey1261 said:

Super Easy Mac N Cheese for the Prepology Microwave Pressure Cooker
Serves 4

3 cups pasta
2 cups water or broth
1 cup heavy cream
2 cups shredded cheddar
2 oz cream cheese
¼ cup shredded mozzarella
¼ cup grated parmesan...
¼ cup milk
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper

Directions:

1. Put pasta and water in the Prepology microwave pressure cooker, close lid and microwave on high for 12 min.

2. Let the steam come down on its own.

3. Add all the ingredients while hot and stir well.

4. Without lid, place back into microwave for 1 ½ minutes to finish.

5. Stir and serve.

Thank You so much sann823, I appreciate it very much.