Frequent Contributor

Difference between Kitchen Aid Stand mixers

Hi all,

I am changing the appliances in the kitchen (remodeled) to black. Currently have the cream color stand mixer, food processor and toaster

What is the difference between the Artisan and the one for $289. Looks to be same watt and bowl size??

Kohls has the Artisan for $319.99 (after $30 rebate) Plus I have a 30% off coupon. Is this a good deal???

TIA Teddy

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Difference between Kitchen Aid Stand mixers

I Love my Kitchenaid products! My daughter in law has done quite well on price at Kohl's with the sales and coupons on these products. The basics that you might consider are: the size of the bowls, what blades, attachments are included, dimensions of the mixer and where you are going to place it in your kitchen, what you are going to use it for, and last....color selection.

If you want a specific color then I would advise waiting until QVC has a TSV. You always get an extra or two if that is the model or color that you really want. If you just want a good mixer to do the basics and they have your preferred color then I don't think you can go wrong with the sale at Kohls.

Hope this helps.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks DeePa. The one I have had for 10+ yrs is a 5 qt 300 watt plus extra beaters/shield. It meets all my needs. Just want to change colors b/c of the remodel. Fridge/microwave/dishwasher are all black and the backsplash has a row of 3 black glass tiles running through the travertine. The new granite is Golden Pompeii with touches of black.

Trusted Contributor

How exciting that you get to buy all new stuff!!

As for KitchenAid, I LOVE my KA appliances! But in my opinion, like so many brands, they have just too many options!

I recently replaced my old (1978) K5SS in almond/cream/vanilla - whatever they call the off white - with a beautiful new Empire RED Pro 600 KP26M1X, with 575 watts and 10 speeds. The new one has a lifting head and a 6 qt stainless bowl...it's BIG!

I got mine on a sale with rebate from Overstock a few months ago. I ended up (with the $50 rebate) with a net cost of $290. I thought was a great deal.

The only thing I didn't like about my new KA is that it came with "burnished" attachments. I don't like the look or feel of these, and they can't be put in the dishwasher. So I went on eBay and purchased coated replacements for the dough hook and the flat beater, and I also bought a stainless wire whip.

It just seems that the more models and variations they offer, the harder it is to choose what would work best.

Good luck and enjoy re-doing your kitchen!

Frequent Contributor

Thanks, madzonie, I have never shopped Overstock but look there occasionally. Sounds like you got a great deal on that model!!!

The sale starts tomorrow at Kohls and I will probably go online and check out theirs. My food processor (also cream) is an 11 cup Kitchenaid. I use it more than the mixer.

Also need a new toaster, Black of course:-) and Kohls has a Black and Decker basic model for $19.99 which will fit the bill.

Have always wanted a long slot toaster but they never get that good of reviews plus they take up more space:-( Husband likes as little as possible on the counters:-) Have to agree now that we have our beautiful new granite. Eliminated the breakfast bar, added 12" to width 0f counter. Now we have a "peninsula" that is 40" wide by 6' and added cabinets underneath!!! Love it.

Frequent Contributor

Just went online to Kohls and purchased the Kitchen Aid Artisan stand mixer and the 9 cup food processor, both in black.

The Kitchen Aid processor I currently have is 11 cup (purchased from the Q) but think the 9 cup will be ok.

Did tons of research and with the sales, $30 rebate(Mixer), reviews (Black and Decker toaster for $19.99) PLUS my 30% coupon I think the prices were great. Can't wait to get them!!

Regular Contributor

You don't want a Kitchenaid you want a Breville. Can find at Macys. Price $299.00.
Super Contributor

You will love your Artisan. That's the one I have and it gets plenty of use between baking and meatloaf, etc. LOVE LOVE LOVE

I got mine at Kohls too after much stalking lots of places. It was such a great deal and no one could touch that deal. Do you also get Kohls Cash? I did when I bought mine and ended up getting an extra bowl and a cover for nearly free.

Have fun! I LOVE new kitchen stuff.

Trusted Contributor

On 3/7/2014 Teddy55 said:

Just went online to Kohls and purchased the Kitchen Aid Artisan stand mixer and the 9 cup food processor, both in black.

The Kitchen Aid processor I currently have is 11 cup (purchased from the Q) but think the 9 cup will be ok.

Did tons of research and with the sales, $30 rebate(Mixer), reviews (Black and Decker toaster for $19.99) PLUS my 30% coupon I think the prices were great. Can't wait to get them!!

So glad you got your new "toys!" And enjoy your new kitchen. I hope to do the same thing in the near future!
Super Contributor

Don't buy the one with the glass bowl. I'm so disappointed with it. The one I had for 12 years with the stainless steel bowl died on me. I thought this one was an upgrade, but this glass bowl is terrible.

Tonight, I was making the cream puff cake that JPC posted on another thread. The bowl got so stuck that my husband had to hold the entire mixer sideways for me to get the batter out. Then I had to fight with the bowl for another 10 minutes to get it freed up.

I'm so sorry I bought this one. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}