Joy of Jewelry
78 Members and 15394 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Genius Food Chopper K37204

Started 1387131584.077 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1387397041.293 by coffee drinker

OMG! I love the demo. I have the Vidalia, "As seen on TV", but this one comes with a much bigger blade. AND ... has a mandoline blade!

Anyone here have one?

Page 1 of 1
Just Plain­ Crazy1387132908.7235410 PostsRegistered 7/22/2009

Hi rina33,

I don't have this particular one but have thought of getting it for the bigger bowl. I have the nicer dicer, K32702 and do get a lot of use out of it. It does have the shredder and a few other blades included but does cost a little more money.

JPC

Last edited on 12/15/2013

coffee dri­nker1387135038.0531297 PostsRegistered 7/17/2009

I have been on the fence about this machine for a while. I check the ratings and "let" the one star ones change my mind. Wish someone could sway me in the right direction. Then I think, "do I really need another gadget?

depglass1387136108.49324408 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

I bought one of these maybe 10 years ago. I found it took quite a bit of force to push the cutter down, you really have to be literally on top of it pushing down. For that reason I just never used it. But if you find you can find a low enough surface to get your weight over it, go for it. My counters were just too high.

coffee dri­nker1387148265.8631297 PostsRegistered 7/17/2009
On 12/15/2013 depglass said:

I bought one of these maybe 10 years ago. I found it took quite a bit of force to push the cutter down, you really have to be literally on top of it pushing down. For that reason I just never used it. But if you find you can find a low enough surface to get your weight over it, go for it. My counters were just too high.

You could always use the kitchen table which should be lower than countertops.

denisemb1387150242.767769 PostsRegistered 12/7/2012FL

I don't want the salad chopper - I want the person who cleans, preps and cuts all those fruits/vegetables to the proper size so Chef Tony can demonstrate how fast and easy it works! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Seriously, I've gotten sucked into buying several versions of such a chopper (have one from the "other" network) and rarely use it as it's more of a PITA to clean all the itsy-bitsy pieces out of the blades and pusher than just using my trusty Nakiri knife. For chopping onions, nothing works better than my 30+ y.o. Oster Oskar Jr inherited from my MIL.

Marsha20031387153655.3234687 PostsRegistered 10/31/2007

I have the original Nicer Dicer and use it often. It does take some effort to push down the top, so adding it on top of a bowl would make it almost impossible for me to use as I am not very tall. I would have a similar difficulty with the mandoline as I do better when the mandoline is at an angle rather than flat.

rina331387202261.0935043 PostsRegistered 6/17/2008

Oh! The Nicer Dicer!

Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I like!
{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

rina331387202531.5075043 PostsRegistered 6/17/2008

I'm watching the Nicer Dicer video now.

Honestly, there's nothing more beautiful than nicely cut veggies & wedges. Love that extra large blade! I don't have that size on my Vidalia.

kjohnson1387204334.4831042 PostsRegistered 12/15/2011Ohio

I just posted in another thread that the Genius Nicer Dicer is the best purchase I ever made for the money on QVC. I've had it for a couple of years, use it at minimum once a week and it's still going strong.

I've thought about the salad chopper but I don't need to replace the nicer dicer (and the speed slicer that I own as well) and the larger footprint would be harder for me to store.

Wadzlla1387206977.111996 PostsRegistered 2/25/2009

I have had this chopper for about 3 years. It is nice, and I use it in the summer when we eat a lot of salads. In the winter, it is easier to just chop up enough for salad on my cutting board. The bowl is HUGE. this is great for large families, or if you do a lot of parties.

You have to REALLY push down quickly and hard to cut up everything. I am physically a very strong person, and I have to smash the cutter down full force to get lettuce to cut. The blades are VERY sharp, and you must be very careful cleaning and handling them.

The largest cutting blades leave your pieces of chopped lettuce quite small. this makes for lots of water in the bowl, and the lettuce gets mushy if you try and store it in the fridge. Only cut up enough that you will use within a few hours. I wanted it to make big salads to use for a couple of days, and it does not work for that. Mushy mess after a couple of hours.

Cleanup is not bad. Clean it all up as soon as you are done using it, or you will have problems removing dried up food from the blades and the top piece.

Minneygirl1387213843.22379 PostsRegistered 3/2/2013
On 12/15/2013 coffee drinker said:

I have been on the fence about this machine for a while. I check the ratings and "let" the one star ones change my mind. Wish someone could sway me in the right direction. Then I think, "do I really need another gadget?

I was on the fence for a while, too, but I HATE chopping up things...I bought the Nicer Dicer (K32702) and I absolutely love it. The container is smaller but not too small, and you can just empty it into a bowl if you are doing a lot of fruits or veggies. It doesn't take a lot of storage space, important to me.

If you cut your veggies or whatever into smaller chunks before putting it on the chopper, it's very easy to use. If I'm in a hurry, though, I do put larger chunks on and hit it down with the edge of my fist...the vendor said it won't break, and it hasn't.

I love the uniformity of the dice or slices or whatever....looks very neat and professional. Fruit salad looks great. I've also used it for meat and cheese in a pasta salad. Unless you have very good knife skills, I think using this saves a lot of time and with better results...and no cut fingers!

Minneygirl1387213902.8179 PostsRegistered 3/2/2013
On 12/15/2013 coffee drinker said:

I was on the fence for a while, too, but I HATE chopping up things...I bought the Nicer Dicer (K32702) and I absolutely love it. The container is smaller but not too small, and you can just empty it into a bowl if you are doing a lot of fruits or veggies. It doesn't take a lot of storage space, important to me.

If you cut your veggies or whatever into smaller chunks before putting it on the chopper, it's very easy to use. If I'm in a hurry, though, I do put larger chunks on and hit it down with the edge of my fist...the vendor said it won't break, and it hasn't.

I love the uniformity of the dice or slices or whatever....looks very neat and professional. Fruit salad looks great. I've also used it for meat and cheese in a pasta salad. Unless you have very good knife skills, I think using this saves a lot of time and with better results...and no cut fingers!

chickenbutt1387389953.19325076 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

The charm of these types of gadgets eludes me completely. You have to cut the stuff up, anyway, to get it in there.

Hey, don't get me wrong - I'm as messed up as the next person with arthritis and joint problems from my fingertips to my shoulders and beyond. But if I already have the knife in my hand, having had to pre-cut everything, I might as well just finish cutting it.

Then, all I have to wash is the knife and the cutting board. Plus, I don't think I'd have the strength to push that thing down anyway.

But that's just me. :)

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

coffee dri­nker1387397041.2931297 PostsRegistered 7/17/2009

This noontime, Amazon.com had a fruit & veg chopper that has I believe 3 different blades. This chopper was one of their deals of the day and it was reduced from $33.99 to $21.87. So I caved. Granted, it does not have as many different blades as those shown on QVC, but it doesn't have the high price tags and I also got free S&H since I signed up for a trial of Amazon Prime which I will cancel the end of Dec.

If anyone wants to check it out on Amazon, it's full name is Prepworks from Progressive GPC-4000 Fruit and Vegetable Chopper. It may still be on that deal f the day for $21.87.

Page 1 of 1