Christmas in July(R) Sale
9 Members and 9989 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Keurig Rivo

Started 1379354867.74 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1379388208.51 by Sooner
replies

I really want the Keurig Rivo because I mainly buy lattes and macchiatos at the big chain coffeehouse. I have a regular Keurig at home for coffee. Has anyone heard whether QVC will offer this model Keurig?

Page 1 of 1
4uthebest1379355820.2073526 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009

I have not but in waiting I am using a frother and a manual espresso maker and it works well, so I will have something to compare with when/if I get a Rivo.

In keeping with my desire to experiment I figured I would compare a French Press with the Aeropress and although the French Press is excellent the Aeropress is superior in consistency and flavor and the Aeropress product is very close in flavor to what I expect an espresso to taste like.

With the Rivo, many who own it are pleased and I was wondering about the volume and quality of the froth differences using Whole milk, 2%, 1%, Skim, Soy, Almond ?? Any Rivo experts here yet?

KYToby1379362628.9031172 PostsRegistered 2/19/2012

First, I do not know why people want to know if QVC will be offering something. T/hey are not the only retailer in the world, and they are almost never the cheapest.

Second, look into the Nespresso. They are infinitely better, anf you can get a frother with those that use real milk. If you insist on using QVC, they have sold them in the past, and you may still find them on the site.

soonersis1379362796.671216 PostsRegistered 7/13/2009

I wouldn't consider myself a Rivo expert but I have had one for about 2 weeks. I really like it as my husband and I like strong coffee and whether we are having hot or cold (our favorite) coffee we like to make it starting with espresso. While it's not quite as strong as a shot of espresso from Starbucks, it's quite good.

We use almond milk and it froths great, whether we do it hot or cold. In reading other reviews of it before deciding to purchase it, most seemed to say that the lower fat milks frothed better than the higher fat. One time I added a little cream to our almond milk and it didn't froth as much so there is perhaps something to that. We always put a little cream and almond milk in our coffee so I just add the cream directly to my coffee and only put the almond milk in the frother.

I have a manual frother and the Rivo does a much better job than that one. Our son has one of the fancy espresso machines that cost thousands of dollars and we think ours makes just as good a cup as his so we are pleased with our purchase.

Sooner1379364221.84714358 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

How much are they if I may inquire? Sur La Table has the Nespresso Delongi one that froths milk in the coffee unit for $299 today. It is usually $399 at Williams-Sonoma. I have had cappuccino from it three times now and it is very good! The milk is hot and frothed and the coffee/espresso was (at least to me) hot!

soonersis1379365395.3631216 PostsRegistered 7/13/2009

I checked around before buying my Rivo as I wanted to get the best deal. It's 229.99 at the Keurig website and was the same at Bloomingdale's (it was on sale when I bought it but think the regular price is 315.00). I bought it at Bloomingdale's as I could get 6% back through ebates and didn't have to pay tax. It was more at Amazon.

I also checked Bed, Bath and Beyond.com and they didn't have it, but now they do have it online (don't think it's in stores yet). They have high shipping and tax, but sometimes have 20% off coupons you can use online so perhaps that's an option. In the past I have bought things from them that are online but not at the store and the store ordered it for me and I didn't have to pay shipping and could use my 20% off coupon.

Perhaps QVC will have it as a TSV someday, but I didn't want to wait and I'm glad to have it now.

One other thing I did was check You Tube as they had some videos comparing the Rivo, Starbucks Verismo and the Nespresso.

Last edited on 9/16/2013

Last edited on 9/16/2013

4uthebest1379375669.393526 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 9/16/2013 KYToby said:

Second, look into the Nespresso. They are infinitely better, anf you can get a frother with those that use real milk. If you insist on using QVC, they have sold them in the past, and you may still find them on the site.

It appears you do not know that the Rivo uses regular milk and that QVC never sold them ??

4uthebest1379375806.493526 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 9/16/2013 soonersis said:

I wouldn't consider myself a Rivo expert but I have had one for about 2 weeks. I really like it as my husband and I like strong coffee and whether we are having hot or cold (our favorite) coffee we like to make it starting with espresso. While it's not quite as strong as a shot of espresso from Starbucks, it's quite good.

We use almond milk and it froths great, whether we do it hot or cold. In reading other reviews of it before deciding to purchase it, most seemed to say that the lower fat milks frothed better than the higher fat. One time I added a little cream to our almond milk and it didn't froth as much so there is perhaps something to that. We always put a little cream and almond milk in our coffee so I just add the cream directly to my coffee and only put the almond milk in the frother.

I have a manual frother and the Rivo does a much better job than that one. Our son has one of the fancy espresso machines that cost thousands of dollars and we think ours makes just as good a cup as his so we are pleased with our purchase.

Thank you for your information about the frother working better than your manual one and that almond milk froths great.

soonersis1379386247.7371216 PostsRegistered 7/13/2009
On 9/16/2013 4uthebest said:
On 9/16/2013 soonersis said:

Thank you for your information about the frother working better than your manual one and that almond milk froths great.

I just remembered something that might be of interest to you. In reading the reviews on the Rivo someone mentioned that one brand of almond milk didn't froth as well as the Almond Breeze. I almost always use the Almond Breeze but I had the Silk brand when I got my machine. I have found that the Almond Breeze does froth better than the Silk. I use the unsweetened original flavor, BTW. Guess there is some ingredient difference in them that makes the difference in the frothing, but I don't know what it is.

Also, in response to KYToby's post above, I believe that QVC has not sold these in the past as I think the Rivo just came out late last year. At least the first reviews I saw for them were in November of 2012. I also read somewhere that Bloomingdales had exclusive rights to sell them for a time, evidently. But they are sold on Amazon and as I stated previously, are online now at Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

Sooner1379388208.5114358 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Interesting. I didn't know about this. My Pixie and frother are at this time $279 on Williams-Sonoma, sometimes I've seen them cheaper. Nespresso offers a lot of coffee flavors and I've never found one I didn't like--they are regular and lungo espresso pods. I'm tossing this out because the Pixie I have is a LOT smaller than this Keurig and for me that would be a consideration. The frother is easily stored away too.

I have heard from someone in the know that the new "U" machines much like the Pixie are a little cheaper but not as good. The Essenza is a good machine too, we have those in our offices and it is cheaper than the Pixie.

I'm sure the Keurig makes good coffee--just throwing this out if you need something smaller.

Page 1 of 1