Christmas in July(R) Sale
34 Members and 10570 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Wolfgang Puck's 8qt Pressure Cooker

Started 1376774571.803 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1377970934.793 by SiameezeLover!

I just ordered the Wolfgang Puck 8qt pressure cooker....great price....Actually I ordered it last night and cancelled it this morning....Watched a presentation again and ordered it again...not cancelling this time. What do you cook in your pressure cookers?

Page 1 of 1
CHEX1376775088.957100 PostsRegistered 1/11/2009

I use it mostly for soups and stews. Definitely saves time and you do not have to watch it. But it takes alot longer than they say because the timing only starts after it has come up to pressure and in my unit (an older WP model) it can take 15min for the pressure to build up. The unit is big, so I have to take it out to use. Doesn't look so big on their set but it is large. Nonetheless, I am afraid to use the stove top models, so this works.

lacey11376775179.4872293 PostsRegistered 6/5/2009

I have an old Wolfgang Puck PC, that I got refurbished from Overstock. I use it for things that take a long time. Brown rice, farro, barley, corned beef, beans, etc. I use it at least once a week. I love it to make mashed potatoes- peel/quarter potatoes, put them on the rack, add an inch or two of liquid, give it 8 minutes-great, not mushy potatoes. Also makes very flavorful corn on the cob. I hope you enjoy yours!

TexasMom11376775989.8333364 PostsRegistered 7/12/2007

I have the first WP Bistro pressure cooker (digital) and it is still going strong after many years. I use mine for chuck roasts, corned beef, and for cooking chicken breasts that I shred for other dishes. It does a wonderful job on potatoes and other vegetables, along with pinto beans and black eyed peas. I do have two cookbook for pressure cookers: one by Debra Murray and the other by Bob Warden, and those really help with ideas to use. Have fun with your new cooker!

AngelLove21376777541.1332562 PostsRegistered 3/2/2007

You will love it!! It is large but I think you want it big. I throw in chicken, onions, and any vegetables...carrots are great, cauliflower... tastes like potatoes, add some parsley and 1 cup of liquid. I used water or canned tomatoes...whatever you want. It takes about 10 minutes to come up to pressure and the above will be done 20 minutes later. It is a quick meal compared to baking chicken for an hour.

CLEM1376781456.81312505 PostsRegistered 9/1/2008PA

I did order his pressure cooker cookbook and hope for some great recipes. Got my pressure cooker last year so I am set for that.

forrestwolf1376782767.55947 PostsRegistered 6/20/2010Deep in South Georgia

What I can not find about this pressure cooker is.............Can you brown in it, and what is the PSI.......I am not understanding the automatic time and pressure in the description........I have been thinking of a 2nd pressure cooker, love big..........but these 2 questions are bothering me........{#emotions_dlg.crying}

"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack"
1895 Rudyard Kipling
EDUCATE........NOT ERADICATE

AngelLove21376783590.972562 PostsRegistered 3/2/2007

I am assuming you can brown in it. Not sure about the PSI. I have the 13 function Elite. It has a button for whatever you want to cook. I assume the machine knows the PSI. Haven't watched Wolf's presentation. If you call HSN customer service, they can probably answer your questions.

Last edited on 8/17/2013

Last edited on 8/17/2013

Retta Jo1376789725.53158 PostsRegistered 6/29/2006CA

Wolfgang said you can use it as a pot without the pressure....so I assume you could brown in it.

forrestwolf1376795654.635947 PostsRegistered 6/20/2010Deep in South Georgia
On 8/17/2013 AngelLove2 said:

I am assuming you can brown in it. Not sure about the PSI. I have the 13 function Elite. It has a button for whatever you want to cook. I assume the machine knows the PSI. Haven't watched Wolf's presentation. If you call HSN customer service, they can probably answer your questions.

Last edited on 8/17/2013

No........Customer Service could not help me, although did "think" you could brown in it......and nothing listed about the PSI......stated to call back and they would try to get me on air for answers...........WELL..........went thru all of their questions, was plugged into live feed, and then I was cut off..........Oh well.........no buy for me tonight.........{#emotions_dlg.huh}

"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack"
1895 Rudyard Kipling
EDUCATE........NOT ERADICATE

RocketMom1376802699.0432641 PostsRegistered 9/23/2007
Yes, he mentioned you could brown in it during the final presentation. Don't know the specific PSI, but they did say it was for High recipes during one of the presentations. No problem for me, I have never used my low setting on my other one. I make chili, pasta sauce, chicken soup, corned beef, ribs (although my kids didn't like the falling off the bone aspect), beef stroganoff, corn on the cob, cream of chicken gnocchi soup, rice casseroles, stuffed green peppers, beef stew. So many different things. My husband had to convince me to get one several years ago when the electric ones first came out but I wouldn't be without one ever again. Really cuts down on the time, just don't go past the fill line!

ladybuglai­nie1376825804.62503 PostsRegistered 11/12/2006Florida

I saw it on HSN....would have ordered it in a heartbeat if I could have afforded to do so, but it wasn't in the budget this go-round...I definitely hope to order it the next time it's on flexpay! I got a 6 qt. from Bob Warden's line several years ago...I went to use it for only about the 6th or 7th time and the lid would NOT go down all the way and seal....in the digital readout "Code 10" kept flashing!!!! It was weird to say the least!!! I called the 800 number in my instruction book that came with it, but no matter what time of day I called it, the phone would just ring and ring countless times with no one or machine ever answering the line!! I wrote QVC and explained what I was encountering....well, about two months later I finally got a return e-mail from QVC stating they contacted the maker but they couldn't explain the problems I was having (especially the code 10 thing), and they told me to send it back for a full purchase price refund. That surprised and pleased me as by this time I had the pressure cooker for more than a year. I've been wanting another digital pressure cooker ever since, but I'm not gonna pay an arm and a leg for one....and I don't trust the brand Bob Warden pushes any longer after my experience with them.

lacey11376828653.712293 PostsRegistered 6/5/2009

ladybuglainie, Keep your eye on the Overstock website. In about 6 months they will have a lot of these TSV pressure cookers offered as refurbished. That's how I got mine, it cost $50 with free s&h. I think the refurbished ones are better than new.

ladybuglai­nie1376829656.11503 PostsRegistered 11/12/2006Florida

lacey1.......thanks for the heads up! I appreciate the advise and I'll definitely check into it! Thanks again!

Chicagoan1376956349.7432663 PostsRegistered 6/11/2008CHICAGOLAND

I love the P/C.... this is one of my favorite recipes

BEEF STROGNOFF - PRESSURE COOKER
Ingredients
2 lbs. beef stew meat,
cut into 1" cubes
3 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons flour
1 large onion, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic
1 cup beef broth
1/4 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoons tomato paste ....I buy it in the tube and keep in fridge, no waste
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 cup sour cream
Salt and pepper to taste
1 package egg noodles, cooked

Directions
In cooker, brown meat. Add flour and mix well. Stir in onion, garlic powder, mushrooms, tomato paste, and Worcestershire sauce. Blend thoroughly. Close the lid and bring to high pressure. Cook 20 minutes. Release the pressure and remove the lid. Stir in sour cream and blend well. Serve over hot egg noodles.

Last edited on 8/19/2013

Last edited on 8/19/2013

Robin ....

Midlife is the time we begin “to listen with our ♥ heart.”

Chicagoan1376956710.8172663 PostsRegistered 6/11/2008CHICAGOLAND

Pressure cooker corn on the cob

adding a little butter(as an option) it infuses the butter into the corn.

Ingredients
4 to 6 ears of corn, shucked
1/2 c water
1/4 cup butter, any temperature, salted or unsalted.
1 tsp sugar (option)

Directions
1. Use as many ears of corn as needed for your dinner. if possible stand the ears of corn up, inside the pressure cooker's removable container.
2. Add sugar(if chosen)to the 1/2 cup of water and dissolve first and then add to container. Then add the 1/4 cup of butter (if chosen)and put into the bottom of the container beneath the ears of corn.
3. Close lid, turn and secure lid. Check that the pressure valve is in the right spot and plug in the pressure cooker.
Set the manual timer to the amount of minutes needed.
1 ear = 1 minute.
4 ears = 4 minutes
6 ears = 6 minutes and so on.

Add a little more water if you put more than 6 ears of corn on the cob. It takes mine about 1 to 2 minutes to heat before the pressure and timer kicks in with 4 ears of corn on on the cob.
4. When the time is up, unplug machine and do the quick release (so the corn will not cook any extra) Quick release on mine: turn valve to release pressure. Make sure that the steam(release) from this is not pointing in a direction that will cause a problem. This takes less than a minute and then when you see that there is no more pressure or steam coming from the valve, open and serve. If the lid will not open give it a few more seconds. The corn will be sweet (with the sugar), buttery and steamed and not soggy. Season to taste!

Last edited on 8/19/2013

Last edited on 8/19/2013

Robin ....

Midlife is the time we begin “to listen with our ♥ heart.”

4uthebest1376958464.83526 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 8/18/2013 lacey1 said:

ladybuglainie, Keep your eye on the Overstock website. In about 6 months they will have a lot of these TSV pressure cookers offered as refurbished. That's how I got mine, it cost $50 with free s&h. I think the refurbished ones are better than new.

For the last 4+ months now I have not seen any WP refurbished items on Overstock or Premiere.. Did they change the way they sell these items?

lacey11377006944.462293 PostsRegistered 6/5/2009
On 8/19/2013 4uthebest said:
On 8/18/2013 lacey1 said:

For the last 4+ months now I have not seen any WP refurbished items on Overstock or Premiere.. Did they change the way they sell these items?

I'm hoping they've just run out of the older WP items, and they will get more. I went to the Overstock website and signed up for e-mail alerts when they get them back in. As I said, since HSN had the PC TSV last week, I'm hoping there will be more refurbished available. I think a lot of these electric PC are very similar, no matter the brand. I would replace mine in a heartbeat, if it died.

seehorse1377009447.1932073 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I decided to pass based on the "dial". It looked like basically ON/OFF - no digital input. I could be wrong.

Last edited on 8/20/2013

Last edited on 8/20/2013

ZannaDew1377010351.633134 PostsRegistered 5/24/2006

Hi There: I LOVE my pressure Cookers ( I have an 8 qrt. & a 6 qrt. ) Although we are empty nesters now, I always fill them to the fullest possible with stew, short ribs, pulled pork recipes etc. and then we have dinner that night and I freeze the rest in smaller containers. Mine are used mainly in the wintertime, and the variety of frozen meals I defrost to eat lasts up until Spring.

Last edited on 8/20/2013

Last edited on 8/20/2013

Sooner1377011695.114358 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Tonight it is pork chops with peppers, onions, tomato sauce, and some spices thrown in. Last weekend it was farro, very often chicken or beans. I use mine a lot especially for chicken breasts and veggies cooked together.

I have and USE 2.75 quart skillet sized and 6 qt. pot type (they use the same lid) Fissler stove top ones all the time. I LOVE them. I still have 2 electrics (4 and 6 qt) I use occasionally, but the Fissler comes out almost every week for something (there are 2 of us so these are the PERFECT sizes). Being not too big, they heat up quickly and the skillet sized one browns better than any All Clad, Copper Mauviel or Le Creuset I've got! Just threw that in in case anyone is looking for one. EXPENSIVE but for me they are worth it. I swore I'd never go back to stove top one again, but I did and I am quite happy with it. I got a REAL deal on these and am glad I happened across them! And the electronics won't quit on them at least!

Last edited on 8/20/2013

Last edited on 8/20/2013

lacey11377012293.072293 PostsRegistered 6/5/2009

I have a really nice, stainless steel stove top model. I don't use it because my electric one is soooo idiot proof, (you have to be smarter than the pressure cooker-some days-it's tough!). Anyhow, I am so intrigued with the Nuwave induction cooktop infomercial. The Nuwave has a timer, so it will automatically hold the temperature for the right amount of time. In the infomercial, they show a pressure cooker that is available as an accessory. I'm hoping to get one when they have the TSV. I think this would be a great way to use a stove-top pressure cooker outside, or in the RV.

BTW: Sooner, those pork chops sound wonderful!

Last edited on 8/20/2013

Last edited on 8/20/2013

SiameezeLo­ver!1377970934.7931812 PostsRegistered 5/5/2006Green Mountains :)

I watched the video presentation on the WP pressure cooker and someone asked if you could can with this 8 qt pressure cooker - they said No, however a Pressure Canner is in the works and will be available soon...P

Wow - I will be happy :)

I did get this pressure cooker - as my Elite Pressure cooker after 1 1/2 years bit the dust plus the pan non-stick looked old.

For $79 I am very happy with the pressure cooker - not a fancy pressure cooker with electronic readouts - very simple, easy to use.

I don't recall there is even an alarm to let you know when its done cooking, I don't know if this is a 15 psi pressure cooker or a 13 or 12 psi...

What I like:

Lid is easy on/easy off

The inner pot is beefier construction, better non-stick than Elite in my opinion

The release of steam - is not a forceful burst of steam - I think the pressure cooker will last longer because of this feature

We've already made chicken and pot roast twice in the machine - very happy with the results each time.

Comes to pressure quickly

Pressure seals well/quiet

For $79 amazing bargain.

I look forward to the pressure canner.

Page 1 of 1