The Joy of Christmas
109 Members and 8844 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Asking for dishwasher opinions

Started 1376233647.08 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1378572701.087 by suzyQ3

This may be a worn-out topic, but it's current for me. I need a new dishwasher and am doing my shopping homework. It seems to me the best information, both pro and con, comes from those who live with and use a product on a daily basis. So, here I am asking for your advice. What dishwasher do you recommend? Conversely, and maybe more importantly, what dishwasher would you not recommend?

I'm willing, but not eager, to spend upwards toward $1,500. I thought I wanted a 2 drawer Fisher Paykel, but bad reviews are making me doubtful now. I've also read bad reviews for Kitchen Aid, Bosch and Miele.

With just my DH and me here, our requirements are neither lengthy nor unreasonable--a reliable, trouble-free, machine that runs efficiently and quietly and gives clean dishes and spot-free glass ware. Flexibility of loading is desirable as well, of course.

As we all know, very few things are made today as well as they used to be, so I need to specifically ask what newer machine (3 years or less) do you presently use? If you had to replace it today, would you buy another one just like it?

I sincerely thank you for any information or shopping tips you care to share. -Mrs. G.

Page 1 of 2
VaBelle351376238148.6779429 PostsRegistered 11/19/2004VA suburbs of Washington, DC

I just went online and read tons and tons and tons of reviews from different places and used Consumer Reports as a buying to what features I needed and what features I didn't. I used the CR repair guide to narrow it down to GE and a couple of other brands with low repair rates, and then I went with reviews and pricing.

I got another basic GE model and have had it for a month now and love it. It's very quiet and is everything the reviewers said it was.

QVC Shopper since 1993

forrestwolf1376240906.56020 PostsRegistered 6/20/2010Deep in South Georgia

I just purchased this one in January, when I changed out all of my appliances http://www.homedepot.com/p/203411761 .........{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} I have owned LG for over 7 years, and have never had one minutes worth of trouble, and not one phone call to them with a question.......I have the washer/dryer, and all of my TV's are LG.......LG is owned by Zenith........and that is a brand that I grew up with, and my dad was in electronics all his life, and he also chooses LG.........{#emotions_dlg.laugh} The dishwasher is quiet, as I never hear it.......The racks/tines, are all adjustable, to fit your needs, and the top rack can be lowered to accommodate say stem ware or taller top rack only products.......It does have a nice warranty, and extra sanatize cycle.........I know many will not agree with me here, but I have not been disappointed in LG for the last 7 years, and would buy again, if needed......Cool By the way, all of my appliances were Kennmore, and they just did not last and perform to my expectations, but they came with the house, that was only a handful of years old when I bought it..........I just stuck it out with the appliances, until I could not deal with them any more...........{#emotions_dlg.crying}

"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack"
1895 Rudyard Kipling
EDUCATE........NOT ERADICATE

debc1376242052.2432591 PostsRegistered 10/27/2009

Our's is a Whirlpool Quiet PartnerIII We've had it for years and still love it.

Cheese with that whine?

MeAndMyArr­ow1376242840.3531034 PostsRegistered 8/3/2013Hollyweird-Land of the Lost

I have a Thermador Emerald series dishwasher and I run it 2 - 3 times a day. I've had it 2 years and so far, so good. I like the fact that we can't hear it when it's running. All the lower end brands are still noisy. Solid stainless interior/exterior; controls are hidden Best place I found was Elite appliance in Texas. They drop shipped it and I paid no tax or shipping charges.

Last edited on 8/11/2013

Last edited on 8/11/2013

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.
- Thomas Jefferson

VirgoGirl1376243617.067159 PostsRegistered 4/21/2007

Our Bosch is the quietest DW we have owned. Only downside is that there is no food grinder, which makes it quiet, so the strainer must be cleaned about once a month. As far as clean and sparkling dishes and glasses you must add Jet Dry or similar product. I wasn't using that at first and once I started using it the dishes are now sparkling. Oh another thing with Bosch is there is no heater to dry the dishes and water will pool on the tops of glasses, cups, etc. and you must pour it off when you remove them. HTH

Last edited on 8/11/2013

Last edited on 8/11/2013

happy hous­ewife1376243892.85331273 PostsRegistered 1/4/2007

When we lived in Pa we bought a Bosch Dishwasher and I loved it - ran quiet as a mouse and always got the dishes sparkling. However that DW cost over $600 , which was an awful lot in 2001. In our home in Fl we have a GE builder grade DW - not nearly as quiet as the Bosch was - and i have to scrape and rinse the dishes first before I load them. With our bosch i could just load them and it had a filter that caught any particles that didn't go down the drain. Once a week I would empty the filter, and there would hardly be anything there. however, my appliances in Fl came free with the house as a promotion from the builder so .... free vs $600.The GE does a good job of getting the dishes clean. So I think it really just depends on what you want to pay.

When faced with senseless drama, spiteful criticism or misguided opinions walking away is the best way to defend yourself.To respond with anger is an endorsement of their attitude. -Dodinsky

sunshine451376245513.95741114 PostsRegistered 1/13/2007east coast and west coast

we have had a fisher-paykel for about six years now and i love it. i run at least one drawer every day, sometimes both drawers. it is the two drawer style where you can run one drawer at a time. you can fit a lot into each drawer.. they are VERY quiet and are a low profile, which i really like. most of the buttons are on the inside of the dishwasher. we have had it serviced once since we bought it, but we have an appliance contract that we pay for monthly through our gas and electric company, so it did not cost us anything extra to fix it. i would definitely buy one again if i had to, even though it was the most expensive dishwasher i have ever bought.

"When will our consciences grow so tender that we will act to prevent human misery rather than avenge it?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

lovesrecess1376246001.58313642 PostsRegistered 7/14/2008Texas

I know this may sound very "old school" but I have a Kenmore Elite dishwasher that is by far the best I have ever had....I wanted a quiet one because my kitchen is right next to my family room....this is so quiet I sometimes have to check to make sure I had turned it on....and sure enough, I did! It does have the food grinder; it takes care of food scraps,etc. but I usually scape food off anyway....I highly recommend this machine. I had the option of some high-end brands at the time but chose this one because of several friends who recommended it and the poor reviews on the others.

RocketMom1376246838.942675 PostsRegistered 9/23/2007

Bosch! Have had mine for 7 months and wouldn't go back to the piece of junk top of the line Maytag I had! By the way, I don't trust CR anymore. i bought 3 different appliances based on their highest rating and they were all junk! Never had so many problems with a dishwasher, dryer or vacuum cleaner. Got rid of all of them only after a couple of years, and some were still in warranty but I just didn't want to deal with the hassel of multiple breakdowns. Good luck!

P.S. Fisher Paykel makes great appliances, had a washer for years that I loved. The only problem with them is when they need repair. Even basic parts are not stocked and they have to send to New Zealand for them. Takes several weeks, which I am not willing to wait for any appliance.

Last edited on 8/11/2013

Last edited on 8/11/2013

queendiva1376247145.5333395 PostsRegistered 9/22/2006

Dishwashers and washing machines have the shortest life span of all major household appliances. With that in mind, I would get a good, quiet and reliable brand that's affordable and does not have cycles and features you will rarely or never use. Also consider how the style and handle style coordinate with your stove and fridge for a coordinated look. I purchased all KitchenAid appliances when I remodeled my kitchen 6 years ago. Pleased with the reliability, styling and price.

forrestwolf1376259723.2176020 PostsRegistered 6/20/2010Deep in South Georgia

By the way, forgot to mention that on the LG, and I am sure many others now, it has an app that you just point your phone at, and it will run a total diagnostics for any errors that occur......I don't have a fancy phone, so this is not a biggie with me.........Wink

"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack"
1895 Rudyard Kipling
EDUCATE........NOT ERADICATE

Tyak1376264206.4231742 PostsRegistered 1/25/2013

I've had a Kenmore Elite dw for about 8 years with never a problem. And it is so quiet, you can't tell it's running. I definitely will buy another Kenmore when this one dies.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Edmund Burke

wismiss1376264561.042327 PostsRegistered 6/18/2008Central Illinois

Bosch. Quietest DW you will ever have. Dishes come out sparkling clean. Even though it may be German engineering, they built a factory here in USA.

BonnieBelle1376264923.0319338 PostsRegistered 4/13/2007

Whirlpool, reasonably priced, works great. Ours is about 25 years old.

Last edited on 8/11/2013

Last edited on 8/11/2013

beach-mom1376266018.99561 PostsRegistered 8/1/2007Mid-Atlantic

Ours is a Miele. We started with GE Profile, but it was installed incorrectly and never worked right. The GE repairman was out a number of times "fixing" it but it didn't help. When we had a repairman out for our clothes washer (a local guy who came highly recommended), HE recommended Miele. I love it! Smile

rudy1376266059.3332223 PostsRegistered 1/8/2005

Bosch is top notch.

suzyQ31376320392.2424719 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007
On 8/11/2013 Tyak said:

I've had a Kenmore Elite dw for about 8 years with never a problem. And it is so quiet, you can't tell it's running. I definitely will buy another Kenmore when this one dies.

Yyak, I haven't read the whole thread, but wow, I do agree with you.

I was one who adamantly defended Bosch. But honestly, we just had too many problems with it. And the worst part was that we bought it for it touted quietness. It really wasn't all that quiet.

First we had a major problem with the controls, and they had to be replaced. BTW, their CS was subpar. When we tried to get service, they told us it wouldn't be for weeks, so we used another outfit.

Then the last straw was the obvious deterioration of the motor, evidenced by very a very loud kind of grinding noise.

So a couple months ago, after doing research, we bought the latest top of the line Kenmore and are thrilled with it. It's almost totally silent. It seems bigger inside, and it does a superb cleaning job.

I would highly recommend it.

UNICEF -- working for the survival, protection, and development of children through fundraising, advocacy, and education

It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach -- FDR

depglass1376321590.2423895 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

I don't like my year old GE. Absolutely lousy loading configuration. I think I should have tried another Maytag, I got a lemon the first time. But the Maytag loading configuration holds a lot more dishes and the silverware drawer is in a good spot. The GE is much quieter, though, I will say that. We can't even hear its on over night time TV.

AmyKnits21376329737.14213 PostsRegistered 1/29/2005Upstate NY

I have an Electrolux! What a fabulous dishwasher! I had a GE previously and it was quite loud. The Electrolux is nearly silent! Amazing machine! I did pay about $1,500. Hubby and I were looking at Bosch based on ratings but in the store the Electrolux quality was much higher. Even hubby who didn't want to spend over $1,000 was impressed and willing to spend the extra bucks.

We are so glad we got this model...I have friends who bought after me and they are not happy with theirs after seeing mine.

This taught me that there is a big quality difference. We just had to replace our refrigerator and after researching and seeing many at several stores, we went with the Samsung French door with two ice-makers! What a cool refrigerator. We had no idea when we bought it that there were two ice-makers but how convenient to have one in the door and then a deep container in the bottom of freezer with lots more.

mima1376353374.3114393 PostsRegistered 10/19/2004KS

I LOVE our GE Profile DW. Evidently ours was installed right. It gets dishes sparkling clean. Ours has a steam clean option which I love. I also love the delayed timer. I use that all the time. Oh, it is super quiet. I have to put my ear up to it to see if it is running.

BTW, I do not ever rinse my dishes before loading them. In fact, I barely scrape them. It has a garbage disposal in it to grind up the food. It's awesome.

Last edited on 8/13/2013

Last edited on 8/13/2013

Mima

IamMrsG1376353473.051775 PostsRegistered 8/19/2008

Thank you, All, for your responses. I tallied them, and here is the score:

GE: 3, with 1 against

LG: 1 (This brand gets bad reviews online; however, Forrestwolf, I am sure yours gets a workout, so I especially value your opinion.)

Thermador: 1

Bosch: 5, with 1 against (This puzzles me, because they get horrible reviews online, and my neighbor wishes hers would die.)

Fisher-Paykel: 1 (The frequency of breakdowns that I've read about really disappoint because the thought of 2 drawers that run independently seems genius to me.)

Kenmore: 3

Miele: 1 (Again, I read these are great unless or until you need service.)

Electrolux: 1

I haven't decided yet, but will definitely apply all your opinions toward my decision making. Thank you again!

Last edited on 8/12/2013

Last edited on 8/12/2013

mima1376353800.18314393 PostsRegistered 10/19/2004KS

One more thing...I hated my Maytag. It was a lemon like you can't believe. I would never have another Maytag. I got rid of it while it was still running.

Mima

poobear11376362502.187261 PostsRegistered 5/26/2008Pennsylvania

IamMrsG: I just saw your request tonight.

I have a Whirlpool (6 years old), which I don't like at all and cost approx. $600. I've listed a few pros/cons:

Pro(s): (1) Runs very quiet (this is about the only good thing).

Con(s): (1) Dishes must be rinsed in the sink before loading, (2) after a cycle is completed and DW emptied, I leave the DW door open to completely dry, otherwise I have noticed mildew, which I then need to clean by running two full cycles using CLR, (3) glassware and silverware need to be dried by hand, otherwise I have spotted glassware and silverware.

Service has been here several times and cannot find anything wrong. I wish it would konk out to justify buying another. I did have a builder grade GE for 20 years which I loved Other than it was a bit loud, I had never had one problem or service call.

poobear

Orchids4me1376363645.631156 PostsRegistered 2/5/2008VA and CA

In the Sept. Consumer Reports it rates the Kenmore Elite models the highest, followed by several models of Bosch, then KitchenAid, then a few more Bosch models, then Miele, then a few more models of KitchenAid.

We have a 4 yrs. old Bosch with stainless interior. Love it so far.

wmsbgshopp­er1376365625.253116 PostsRegistered 12/28/2008
My problem is with the RACKS that rust. D/W have stainless steel interior but not racks and i'd like to find one with racks that don't rust! Anyone have recommendations?

Page 1 of 2