TSV(R) Preview
141 Members and 15721 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

What is the difference between Cherry and Grape Tomatoes?

Started 1372944772.163 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1373036361.7 by lovesrecess

Is there a difference or is it "in my head"? I love cherry tomatoes, but not so much with grape tomatoes. Wondering if there really is a difference or am I imagining it. Silly question? Maybe. Thanks for your responses.

Page 1 of 1
jetts_mom1372945732.262647 PostsRegistered 4/14/2010

Hi snickster,

the difference is not in your head. Grape tomatoes are oval and typically sweeter than cherry tomatoes. I'm not fond of the grape ones, either, but then I don't like sweet tomatoes. I also don't think they have as much flavor, but that may be because the ones we get here are always trucked in, not grown locally.

Last edited on 7/4/2013

Last edited on 7/4/2013

You were born an original - don't die a copy.

boby1372945882.3173095 PostsRegistered 2/10/2006Town of Ulster-suburb of Kingston, NY

Starting at the end, I prefer cherry tomatoes.

They are bigger, juicier. You can make a fairly respectable sauce with cherry tomatoes. Not so much with grape tomatoes.

I've seen cookbooks by professional chefs that use cherry tomatoes extensively, and denigrate grape tomatoes (not enough juice, tough skins, etc).

The difference is not in your head.

CaneCorsoM­om1372945941.12428 PostsRegistered 6/16/2006

Also - I think tomates on the vine tasts better. So many tomates sold today have no flavor for some reason.

Agree to disagree...

boby1372946256.1273095 PostsRegistered 2/10/2006Town of Ulster-suburb of Kingston, NY

Cane Corso Mom: Produce picked green is often gassed to make it nice and red. They do this a lot with apples and tomatoes. That's why they look so ripe and taste like styrofoam.

I try to buy either heirloom tomatoes, or farmer's market tomatoes grown locally. Of course you can always grow your own, space permitting. I like to grow cherry tomatoes in my Aerogarden - garden-fresh tomatoes in the middle of December are kind of neat!

D Oro1372947684.394072 PostsRegistered 2/17/2011Knock Knock, USA
On 7/4/2013 boby said:

Cane Corso Mom: Produce picked green is often gassed to make it nice and red. They do this a lot with apples and tomatoes. That's why they look so ripe and taste like styrofoam.

I try to buy either heirloom tomatoes, or farmer's market tomatoes grown locally. Of course you can always grow your own, space permitting. I like to grow cherry tomatoes in my Aerogarden - garden-fresh tomatoes in the middle of December are kind of neat!

I tried the Aerogarden in my apartment in LA. The noise and the light kept me awake.. I kept it in another room with the door shut I'm a very light sleeper.

The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud.
-- Coco Chanel

Life is too short to spend hoping that a perfectly arched eyebrow or hottest new lip shade will mask an ugly heart.---Kevin Aucoin

sunshine451372948833.4841919 PostsRegistered 1/13/2007east coast and west coast
On 7/4/2013 CaneCorsoMom said:

Also - I think tomates on the vine tasts better. So many tomates sold today have no flavor for some reason.

my preferred tomatoes are tomatoes on the vine, campari, and cherub tomatoes..... i buy them all year long and they are always consistently good. during the summertime i buy local tomatoes at farmers markets and on the side of the road from truck vendors. i also never refrigerate tomatoes..... they are so much better room temperature.

"When will our consciences grow so tender that we will act to prevent human misery rather than avenge it?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

AnikaBrodie1372951940.1615238 PostsRegistered 1/29/2008The NE state of mountains and valleys

We love the Italian tomatoes and always mix them in with the regular (i.e., big boy) tomatoes when making home made sauce. Delicious! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

~~~The Silver Fox ~~~
“... We don't meet people by accident. They are meant to cross our path for a reason..." (Anonymous)

KentuckyWo­man1372952768.8831783 PostsRegistered 10/29/2009

There is a difference in the taste I think. Grape tomatoes are tough, smaller and not as juicy as the cherry tomatoes. The cherry tomatoes just have a better flavor to me. Cherry tomatoes taste like you picked them yourself right out of the garden. Unfortunately, you can hardly find cherry tomatoes around here anymore since the grape tomato appeared on the scene.

I only buy tomatoes when, they are in season, from our local Farmer's Market. I can't stand those hydroponic tomatoes and hot house tomatoes you buy at the grocery. I love home grown on the vine Big Boy or Beefsteak tomatoes.

Local1372954562.7071512 PostsRegistered 5/21/2006

And don't forget pear tomatoes. Same size as cherry and grape but smaller on top, rounder on the bottom (like a pear!). Taste to me is between cherry and grape. For those who buy them, all 3 types are so easy to grow even in containers as long as you don't get indeterminate types.

Deadeye Da­isy1372955544.5631316 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I buy grape & mini pear tomatos in various colors all the time in the off season. They will have more flavor than other small, off season tomatos. In summer I use Sweet 100s a lot. Generally buy the large containers of grape/mini pear tomatos at Costco or Sams.

They are GREAT when cooked. Thinly slice several cloves of garlic (your potato peeler is great for this). Drop in a skillet with some cooking olive oil. Heat, but DO NOT allow to brown. Turn heat off and allow garlic to sit in the oil for an hour, several hours, or until dinner.

Remove garlic; heat oil to medium high. Dump in grape tomatos, and cook just until the skins split. Season with black or pink salt & fresh ground pepper.

Amount to cook depends on how many bodies you're serving. Generally cook about 1 - 1½ cups for myself.

Daisy

"The cats were allergic, so we got rid of the kids"!

"Aliens are coming to abduct all the good looking, sexy people. Fear not, you WILL be safe. I'm just here to say 'goodbye'."

snickster1372956943.183679 PostsRegistered 7/28/2012

Thank you everyone! I just "knew" there was a difference, lol. Never saw grape tomatoes until maybe last year, and have not yet seen pear tomatoes here in my area. I have grown cherry tomatoes myself, and there is NOTHING like fresh picked tomatoes, of any type. Thanks again, and Happy Fourth!

Deadeye Da­isy1372957166.461316 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I LOVE home grown tomatos, but have yet to find a way to get them to grow on my silk plants. {#emotions_dlg.devil2}

Daisy

"The cats were allergic, so we got rid of the kids"!

"Aliens are coming to abduct all the good looking, sexy people. Fear not, you WILL be safe. I'm just here to say 'goodbye'."

DiAnne1372961171.6875741 PostsRegistered 9/22/2010

I purchase grape tomatoes and/or cherry tomatoes at store to cut in half and served in salads. If I need tomatoes for anything else I use Romas. We can get tomatoes at Farmers Market but only for about a month at the end of September. I enjoy my BLAT's then!

Kees Mom1373035616.4374 PostsRegistered 7/5/2013

Cherry tomato is larger and round. Grape tomato is small and oblong.

Kees Mom1373035618.4874 PostsRegistered 7/5/2013

Cherry tomato is larger and round. Grape tomato is small and oblong.

stevieb1373035958.4329810 PostsRegistered 11/4/2007
On 7/4/2013 CaneCorsoMom said:

Isn't that the truth, or if they have a flavor it's sour... and so many have the texture of cardboard...

I love those old home-grown beefsteak tomatoes, but good luck finding them, and, living in a condominium, have no capacity to grow them.

lovesrecess1373036361.713776 PostsRegistered 7/14/2008Texas

I used to grow cherry tomatoes and also big ones when I had a garden; where I live now have tried unsuccessfully to grown in pots

I think the cherry tomatoes taste like large ones but are just smaller; the ones I used to grow were full of flavor.

Grape tomatoes are very plentiful in stores now and I did buy some for a salad recipe I was trying follow; they are just okay; not as juicy and not nearly as much flavor as the cherry ones.

Now I want to go find some huge, ripe beefsteak tomatoes.....slice thick, and throw on some cheap white bread with mayo and lots of salt and pepper!

Page 1 of 1