Fall Fashion Clearance
145 Members and 11844 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Ribs wrapped in plastic wrap + baked in the oven

Started 1371907445.697 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1372101024.54 by Nightowlz

So... Hubbs and I were watching Restaurant Impossible the other night and Robert Irvine was showing the chef on there how to make baby back ribs in the oven, wrapped in saran wrap. The saran wrap does not melt in the oven (he says it's oven-safe to 400 degrees) and works because the steam from the meat keeps the plastic from melting. For example, if you put a piece of saran wrap on a flame it would instantly melt, but if you put a piece of it in a pan of water and put it on to boil, it wouldn't melt.

I googled it, and it looks like some people will then wrap the ribs in the plastic wrap and then wrap everything in foil. Bake at 225 or 250 for about 2 hours, unwrap and baste ribs with BBQ sauce and broil on a cookie sheet for 5 to 10 minutes to carmelize the sauce on the rib. Irvine did not wrap his in foil. I'm a little nervous. I bought the baby backs yesterday and they weren't exactly cheap, so if this doesn't work out... I guess we'll be eating hotdogs instead. Has anyone tried this?!?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/robert-irvine/ribs-recipe/index.html

http://www.1cincinnatiohio.com/recipe-how-to-make-perfect-ribs-every-time-emeril-lagasse-style/

my weimaraner is smarter than your honor student

* whatever doesn't kill me had better start running *

Page 1 of 1
Barbarainnc1371908756.1572780 PostsRegistered 6/13/2006

Like you, I've seen it done, but I haven't try it yet. Scared of the plastic melting or releasing chemicals into my food. Guess I won't be messing up my ribs.

Brinklii1371909028.28310277 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004Northern WI

I've seen it done too, but I don't trust the "safe" plastics. What other chemicals are in them that we don't know about yet?

A tongue has no bones, yet it is strong enough to break a heart. Be careful with your words.

Sheri-emt871371909802.86730 PostsRegistered 6/1/2005Long Island, NY

I just wrap them, tightly, in aluminum foil. They come out great. The foil is also easier to unwrap because it cools faster. Just be careful when opening the package because of the steam.

Sheri

I am fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara I could save the world.

junera1371910100.22227 PostsRegistered 4/21/2010

I think foil is safer...a friend of mine even cooked salmon in foil in the dishwasher...it was great! Postings of PD removed so go Corky!

Local1371914132.151511 PostsRegistered 5/21/2006

I have done the plastic wrap/foil thing. I believe it was from an old Neeley's recipe. Reasoning for the plastic wrap first is so that the rub seasonings don't react with using the foil. You know how sometimes if you use anything tomato sauce against foil the sauce will take on an odd flavor? Doesn't always happen but sometimes it does. Anyway, the plastic wrap was just fine after being in the oven on low (300) for a couple hours and those ribs were great after finishing on the grill with bbq sauce!

Deadeye Da­isy1371918724.91299 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Works the same way by using standard 18" X 24" parchment sheets. This way, foil doesn't directly touch your meat. I cook anything wrapped in foil without first wrapping in parchment.

Daisy

"The cats were allergic, so we got rid of the kids"!

"Aliens are coming to abduct all the good looking, sexy people. Fear not, you WILL be safe. I'm just here to say 'goodbye'."

forrestwolf1371920474.135947 PostsRegistered 6/20/2010Deep in South Georgia
On 6/22/2013 Deadeye Daisy said:

Works the same way by using standard 18" X 24" parchment sheets. This way, foil doesn't directly touch your meat. I cook anything wrapped in foil without first wrapping in parchment.

Are you meaning that you do not cook anything in foil before wrapping in foil maybe??? I am a little scared of plastic wrap in the oven due to possible chemical release, next to the food....{#emotions_dlg.unsure}

"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack"
1895 Rudyard Kipling
EDUCATE........NOT ERADICATE

moondust1371921525.891401 PostsRegistered 1/12/2008ga

Oh my. Sorry, but there is just no way that I would use any kind of saran wrap in the oven; I would be petrified of some kind of chemical-release.

I do use saran wrap for wrapping up food for the fridge and/or freezer; but 90% of my "containers" are now PBA and other stuff "free"--have some GREAT containers that come from Sweden and use A Lot of Glass containers. And for the micro...I only use a silcone lid that we love...think I got it here from the Q..a set of two and they are excellent.

We already have health issues and therefore I TRY to do the best I can in terms of limiting "chemicals", again...I TRY.

Have NO idea whether the use of Saran Wrap for the Oven could be "safe", and certainly do not wish to rain-on-anyone's-parade-who-wishes-to-do-so, but for my family...it would have to be a No.

I have put our "ribs" in a nice heavy pan, with foil Tightly! wrapped around the TOP of the pan, for years and years and they have come out....Wonderful!! Very moist...juicy and flavorful!!

smiles

moondust

Nothing is so strong as gentleness and nothing is so gentle as true strength.
Ralph W. Sockman

Antilope1371926844.11805 PostsRegistered 2/10/2013Roseville, CA

A cast iron dutch oven with a tight fitting lid does a really good job of sealing in moisture. Then you don't have to worry about aluminum or plastic.

“So Google's your friend. Did you ever have a friend that thought they knew everything? ” ;-)

forrestwolf1371929840.385947 PostsRegistered 6/20/2010Deep in South Georgia

Now, I do have to say..........I always wrapped my meats and such........when bought in bulk from say SAM'S......and I am one person....in plastic wrap, and THEN in aluminum foil...... no foil next to my meats........AND, I am trying to use up all of that meat, as I now have a food saver system........BUT...........I am not going to unwrap all of my meat to pack it in the food saver, as I have never lost a piece of meat in the current method..........It just takes a long time to go thru this every time...........Looking forward to the food saver way.......Cool Did I do good chickenbutt, as I am trying to change and do the best for me..........{#emotions_dlg.w00t}I know that you are a strong advocate for the food saver..........Cool I have just got to get rid of the old, and learn the new.........{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack"
1895 Rudyard Kipling
EDUCATE........NOT ERADICATE

m2p1371930675.773278 PostsRegistered 6/23/2010
.Last edited on 8/13/2013

Last edited on 8/13/2013

Nightowlz1371931136.2479172 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

That show was just on. I was on the phone with my dad but saw them unwrapping the ribs from the plastic. I use tin-foil. I double wrap baby back ribs in heavy duty tin foil. I sprinkle them with salt, pepper & chili powder & wrap in foil. Bake @ 400° for 2 hrs. I take them out of the oven unwrap brush with BBQ sauce & DH puts them on the grill outside for 5 mins or so. If you don't want to put them on the grill outside to finish I guess you could put the sauce on them & leave them unwrapped to finish in the oven. I don't know how long that would take. Like you said in your post 5-10 mins to caramelize on broil. I would watch them to make sure they don't burn. They are tender yummy. First time I heard about the recipe I thought no way those are going to be tender in 2 hrs but they are. Wrapping them tight in foil steams them. Hope yours turned out good. Let us know how they turned out. I know baby back ribs are expensive. We bought 12 slabs when they had them on sale for $2.79 lb I think was the price. I usually pay around $4 lb.

Smile

Last edited on 6/22/2013

Last edited on 6/22/2013

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” Will Rogers

Katiesmom1371944963.4831302 PostsRegistered 9/13/2005

I personally would not do that. Haven't we been told not even to use seran wrap in the microwave?

We do our ribs in the oven wrapped in aluminum foil and that works for us.

Local1371945031.981511 PostsRegistered 5/21/2006

There is a saran wrap made for heat and microwaves.

Antilope1371948136.83805 PostsRegistered 2/10/2013Roseville, CA

One of the most toxic fires is fumes released by burning plastic. I sure wouldn't bake in plastic not intended for oven use.

“So Google's your friend. Did you ever have a friend that thought they knew everything? ” ;-)

debc1371991643.4332318 PostsRegistered 10/27/2009

This recipe has been around for years and years. That's how I used to do it before I got my big green egg, now I cook them on that.

Cheese with that whine?

luvpoos1371996851.8775598 PostsRegistered 5/3/2006Kingston Ma

I don't think I would ever put plastic wrap in the oven. I never use it in the microvave either. If it's doesn't have it's own cover I use paper towels. Something about this method justs sounds unhealthy to me.

you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, well you just might find, that you get what you need...The Rolling Stones

25Angel1372002028.7257 PostsRegistered 5/22/2013

Have to go with the majority here. I do not use plactic wrap or containers in the oven or microwave.

It's bad enough they put poison (preservatives) in our food, I don't need to help them out by putting my food and cooking it in plastic of anykind.

Zhills1372002611.621209 PostsRegistered 11/15/2011

From the LA Times....

March 01, 2012

Some recipes, such as the Bouchon crème caramel, call for baking foods in pans that have been sealed with plastic wrap to hold in the moisture. It works well — as long as you have access to the right kind of plastic wrap. Unfortunately, when we tested the recipe with common supermarket brands — even those that were labeled microwave-safe — we found that the plastic wraps split and melted. To be sure, we tried baking three wraps at temperatures of 300, 350 and 400 degrees. The only wrap that didn't fail was Smart & Final's First Street brand. We also tested this recipe sealing the pans with a double layer of aluminum foil and found that it worked well.

—The Test Kitchen

Last edited on 6/23/2013

Last edited on 6/23/2013

TN halfback1372003732.4132690 PostsRegistered 1/20/2008

Interesting, I've never heard of using plastic wrap in the oven & wouldn't try it.

I put my ribs in a shallow roasting pan, add 1/2 bottle beer (drink the other 1/2..Wink), add a pinch of ground cloves & cover tightly with foil. Bake @225 for about 2 hours. Grill with BBQ sauce. So good! The cloves give them that hmmmm.....what's in here taste.

luvpoos1372004901.9435598 PostsRegistered 5/3/2006Kingston Ma
On 6/23/2013 TN halfback said:

Interesting, I've never heard of using plastic wrap in the oven & wouldn't try it.

I put my ribs in a shallow roasting pan, add 1/2 bottle beer (drink the other 1/2..Wink), add a pinch of ground cloves & cover tightly with foil. Bake @225 for about 2 hours. Grill with BBQ sauce. So good! The cloves give them that hmmmm.....what's in here taste.

This sounds really good and easy, what type of ribs do you use.

you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, well you just might find, that you get what you need...The Rolling Stones

TN halfback1372005747.4432690 PostsRegistered 1/20/2008
On 6/23/2013 luvpoos said:
On 6/23/2013 TN halfback said:

<em>Interesting, I've never heard of using plastic wrap in the oven & wouldn't try it.</em>

<em>I put my ribs in a shallow roasting pan, add 1/2 bottle beer (drink the other 1/2..Wink), add a pinch of ground cloves & cover tightly with foil. Bake @225 for about 2 hours. Grill with BBQ sauce. So good! The cloves give them that hmmmm.....what's in here taste.</em>

This sounds really good and easy, what type of ribs do you use.

You can use whatever you like. I do either country ribs or baby back.

I should have added...when they come out of the oven, I put them onto a clean platter or another baking pan & let dry a few minutes so the BBQ sauce will stick.

Also, I use only charcoal to grill. It's definitely not the most convenient or healthiest but love the taste!

blue_weima­raner1372012392.5731138 PostsRegistered 7/17/2007Pennsylvania

Well, I'm back to give the full report!

The plastic wrap did not melt. I used Saran Wrap (the brand) and it "said" it was microwave safe, but absolutely not for oven use. LOL. {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

I didn't use any foil, we did it just like Robert Irvine said to do...I started them out at 225 but they didn't seem to be doing anything, so I amped it up to 250 for 2 hours. Unfortunately, I didn't think the ribs were all that amazing, though. {#emotions_dlg.unsure} They weren't very tender. DH said it was an old pig. (He claims he can definitely tell) I bought them at Sam's club and I think they were around $3.60 or so a pound. IMHO, too expensive to experiment with, but whatever. I'm glad we tried it this way, but I don't think I would do this again. I usually use the crock pot and finish them on the grill, and they come out better. I do have a nice dutch oven, but the amount I was cooking yesterday wouldn't have fit in there. I'm not really concerned about chemicals or anything like that but I think there's better ways. (good ideas posted by people above)

I do think tenderness depends somewhat on the actual quality of the meat. I must have picked a bad package.. they looked good, but you just never know. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

my weimaraner is smarter than your honor student

* whatever doesn't kill me had better start running *

Deadeye Da­isy1372014275.351299 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 6/22/2013 forrestwolf said:
On 6/22/2013 Deadeye Daisy said:

Works the same way by using standard 18" X 24" parchment sheets. This way, foil doesn't directly touch your meat. I <em>cook</em> anything wrapped in foil <em>without</em> first wrapping in parchment.

Are you meaning that you do not cook anything in foil before wrapping in foil maybe??? I am a little scared of plastic wrap in the oven due to possible chemical release, next to the food....{#emotions_dlg.unsure}

What I meant to say is when I plan to cook ANYTHING wrapped in foil, I first wrap in a standard parchment sheet, then overwrap with the foil. I do this even when cooking on the grills or in the smokers (brisket is partially done wrapped in parchment and foil).

I was doing this long before MS & Reynolds came out with parchment lined foil. Probably for the last 50 years. This was the way we did it in the restaurant.

Last edited on 6/23/2013

Last edited on 6/23/2013

Daisy

"The cats were allergic, so we got rid of the kids"!

"Aliens are coming to abduct all the good looking, sexy people. Fear not, you WILL be safe. I'm just here to say 'goodbye'."

Nightowlz1372101024.5379172 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 6/23/2013 blue_weimaraner said:

Well, I'm back to give the full report!

The plastic wrap did not melt. I used Saran Wrap (the brand) and it "said" it was microwave safe, but absolutely not for oven use. LOL. {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

I didn't use any foil, we did it just like Robert Irvine said to do...I started them out at 225 but they didn't seem to be doing anything, so I amped it up to 250 for 2 hours. Unfortunately, I didn't think the ribs were all that amazing, though. {#emotions_dlg.unsure} They weren't very tender. DH said it was an old pig. (He claims he can definitely tell) I bought them at Sam's club and I think they were around $3.60 or so a pound. IMHO, too expensive to experiment with, but whatever. I'm glad we tried it this way, but I don't think I would do this again. I usually use the crock pot and finish them on the grill, and they come out better. I do have a nice dutch oven, but the amount I was cooking yesterday wouldn't have fit in there. I'm not really concerned about chemicals or anything like that but I think there's better ways. (good ideas posted by people above)

I do think tenderness depends somewhat on the actual quality of the meat. I must have picked a bad package.. they looked good, but you just never know. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Sorry they did not turn out so good. Try the way I posted in post #12 above. In the winter when it's really cold & we don't want to use the smoker we put them in the oven & then the charcoal grill about 5 mins. They always turn out good. Like I said above when I received the recipe I thought no way would they be tender in 2 hrs. but they are. We always use baby back ribs. Give it a try. We make these almost always when I visit my sister & they use a gas grill outdoors after getting them out of the oven.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” Will Rogers

Page 1 of 1