New Holiday Decor
11 Members and 15792 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Is SodaStream worth it?

Started 1371676129.63 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1371769274.063 by Anniecamp

I love carbonated flavored water but won't pay the price for individual bottles. I was thinking about getting the upcoming SodaStream but don't know if it's worth it. It comes with 4 bottles (small, larger) so that's good. But are they glass bottles? I hate to think of dragging around a heavy glass bottle.

What do you think of SodaStream?

Peace

Page 1 of 2
Chihuahual­uv1371678114.417577 PostsRegistered 2/23/2011

We love our Soda Stream. Ours came with 3 bottles. They are plastic. I have a 16-year-old daughter, so my house often has teenagers in it. Whenever DD's friends come over, they always use the Soda Stream.

turtle521371678315.4232404 PostsRegistered 2/22/2008

We LOVE it! The bottles are plastic. No more dragging seltzer back from the store. We don't even flavor it with their product, we just squeeze a lemon or lime in it or drink it plain.

This too shall pass.

NYC Susan1371678473.954662 PostsRegistered 1/28/2007New York City and East Hampton, NY

If you do a search, you will find several threads about this. Smile

I have had one for about 2 years, and I love it. I only use it to make seltzer, though. I then add slices of lemon or lime. That's been my go-to drink for decades. I personally don't like any of the SodaStream flavors, but I'm not really a soda drinker. My sons think they'e fine. Originally all of the flavors were made with artifical sweetener, but now they have some that aren't.

For my purposes, I love everything about it. It's easy, convenient, and less expensive than buying bottled seltzer - and I can't imagine being without it. Definitely one of the best gifts I've ever received. Kiss

CalmInTheH­eart1371679912.6077264 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007

I can't imagine using many/any of the SodaStream brand flavors. My friend uses flavorings (ie: Mio etc) she finds in the grocery store.

Peace

julieannka1371683007.54195 PostsRegistered 1/20/2007Wisconsin
I love ours, we recently bought a second one for our cabin. So much nicer than lugging soda home from the store.

sunshine451371701546.4241871 PostsRegistered 1/13/2007east coast and west coast

love mine, just got a second one for our beach condo. hsn currently has them for 79.95, free shipping, 5 flex pays, 5 percent back via mr rebates, and there is a 25.00 rebate on the sodastream website that is only good if you purchase by the 20th. it does only come with one bottle though, but for me i didnt need any extra bottles because the first one i bought came with four AND i can get them separately.

we got a lot of use out of it over the holidays and when we have company. i like making fresh mixers for drinks/cocktails.

"When will our consciences grow so tender that we will act to prevent human misery rather than avenge it?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

luv10is1371703630.99761 PostsRegistered 4/24/2013

Be sure to purchase the CO2 refill from stores that have coupons. I go to Staples and get 20-25% off. It's just a few dollars but why not.

I'm also one that uses it mainly to make seltzer and add fruit juice or a squeeze of lemon. But lately I've been using it with Torani vanilla, sometimes with a splash of cream, after I saw that as an "Italian Soda" at a coffee shop. If I find U-Bet I'd make an egg cream. {#emotions_dlg.blush}

When you show compassion others learn to care as you do.

JeanLouise­Finch1371721195.03311027 PostsRegistered 10/3/2011

I bought the Fountain Jet kit from HSN last fall. At first, I loved it, but now I have mixed feelings about it. It's definitely easy to use, kind of fun, convenient, and you make what you'll use rather than having half drank cans of pop in the 'fridge that you end up pitching anyway because they've gone flat. Lots of places sell the refill CO2 carbonators so they're easy to get. You can buy brand new if you want to, but it's half the price to turn in an empty can and buy a refilled canister (like you would do with a gas grill tank). I will tell you that some of the flavors are not an exact match for their name brand counterparts, but that doesn't mean they're bad either, just a little different. The root beer probably has the most flavor, and is closest in flavor to traditional root beer, of the ones I've tried. There are diet flavors and regular flavors of syrup. The regular flavors are low calorie, which I liked until I noticed "sucralose" (chemical name for Splenda) on the label. The bottles that come with the SodaStream are made to be used with it - specially sized, thicker plastic (BOA free), and a special cap. You can't use a random half liter bottle or typical water bottle with the machine.

Crimson1371728233.443165 PostsRegistered 8/22/2012

I have had a Sodastream for over a year. I loved it at first, but as time has went on, I realize what a pain it is to exchange the CO2 canisters. Yes, there are a lot of places to exchange them where I live, but it is a hassle. The cartridges do not last very long and I don't overuse the carbonation. It's the "razor blades" model in business. They offer the product at a low price (I think I paid $80.00 for unit off HSN), then charge you $4.99 - $9.99 per bottle of flavoring. The flavorings do not last long. The diet root beer and diet grapefruit are the two best diet flavors (so far). My husband hates all the flavors and will not use it at all. It has become the emergency drink machine when we are out of everything else, so I still use it, just not very often. I can see how it would be awesome for boats or campers.

SAM OHIO1371728440.93501 PostsRegistered 8/15/2010

I think it will be the garage sale item of the future.

JamicaJamm­er1371729184.0832333 PostsRegistered 1/14/2013

Hold the phone ... the TV ads make it sound like you're actualliy getting the R E A L brand-name product concentrate.

You mean it's THEIR version of that product? Ewww.

JamicaJamm­er1371729245.6632333 PostsRegistered 1/14/2013

The multi-million ad campaign has been extremely HUGE; I figured there was a catch....I knew it was probably that the little bottles of concentrate were $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

snickster1371729866.223677 PostsRegistered 7/28/2012

Thanks for this thread, I too have been wondering if this would be a "good thing" to have. Much useful infomation has been given. Thanks again.

Bungo1371730420.273361 PostsRegistered 6/20/2006

Asked earlier but do not think I got an answer. Can you use the flavors a/club soda water?

I may never pass this way again.

debc1371734223.3232730 PostsRegistered 10/27/2009
On 6/19/2013 CalmInTheHeart said:

I can't imagine using many/any of the SodaStream brand flavors. My friend uses flavorings (ie: Mio etc) she finds in the grocery store.

I use those along with the flavors that go with the machine. Black cherry and lemonade is really good.

Cheese with that whine?

Deadeye Da­isy1371736670.7831316 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 6/19/2013 luv10is said:

Be sure to purchase the CO2 refill from stores that have coupons. I go to Staples and get 20-25% off. It's just a few dollars but why not.

I'm also one that uses it mainly to make seltzer and add fruit juice or a squeeze of lemon. But lately I've been using it with Torani vanilla, sometimes with a splash of cream, after I saw that as an "Italian Soda" at a coffee shop. If I find U-Bet I'd make an egg cream. {#emotions_dlg.blush}

RE: FOX'S U-Bet

Don't know where you live, but here in the south, I find U-Bet in the pitifully small area of the stores where all the Jewish food items are. In a few stores (like Ingles) the U-Bet usually shows up around Jewish holidays. Publix, Kroger, Harris Teeter, Wynn Dixie, BiLo and Whole Foods - in stock most of the time.

When we were in TX - HEB and Scaggs/Albertsons

CA - Safeway, Ralphs, Food For Less.

Daisy

"The cats were allergic, so we got rid of the kids"!

"Aliens are coming to abduct all the good looking, sexy people. Fear not, you WILL be safe. I'm just here to say 'goodbye'."

Deadeye Da­isy13717373331316 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

We have an old DrinkMaster (have had for at least 15 years or so). Love it, becuse it uses forced carbonation, similar to what's used at bars. You carbonate the individual glass of beverage. Works great for me. This lets you purchase genuine branded drink concentrates. I buy regular Coke and Pepsi branded syrups. I buy the Coke syrup at Sam's. Because of the viscosity of these syrups, you can't use them with the Soda Stream.

If you buy a Soda Stream, you can get an adapter and use a paintball cartridge. Refilling the large paintball cartrige runs around $4 vs $15 for the small Soda Stream cartrige. Some Soda Streams can't use the larger cartriges.

I get my DrinkMaster cartriges filled at paintball supply shops or a local fire extinguisher service store. I have my own adapter for that, so it can be filled by them.

As for the glass bottles, only certain models of the SodaStream can use the Soda Stream glass bottles. Most of the ones you will find at Q, HSN, Costco, Sams, etc. all come with the plastic bottles.

Last edited on 6/20/2013

Last edited on 6/20/2013

Daisy

"The cats were allergic, so we got rid of the kids"!

"Aliens are coming to abduct all the good looking, sexy people. Fear not, you WILL be safe. I'm just here to say 'goodbye'."

colliegirls1371737715.6836489 PostsRegistered 5/13/2012
On 6/20/2013 SAM OHIO said:

I think it will be the garage sale item of the future.

There are some items that I just don't "get" their popularity, this is one of them.

holiday621371738260.883269 PostsRegistered 4/3/2011WI

I bought ours from HSN last year. Then i got another one (from HSN) cause the deal was so good with extra bottles/and lots of flavors with it. Cheaper buying the whole unit like that, cause then you get an extra CO2 bottle as well. That way we always have an extra one.

My daughter loves it. She's tried lots of flavors, but her favorites are the Cola and Lemon/Lime, and Rootbeer is in 3rd place. Its nice to have "fresh" soda, instead of flat.

And the part i love the best, is not lugging the litre bottles in my cart and back home! Love that!!! Such a small food print!

The bottles we got are plastic. Not sure if you can get glass ones? They are 1 litre and 1/2 litre. The only problem you might have, if your going to bring them with you for the day, is that they are not the easiest to drink from. You may want to have a cup on hand? Or bring a straw? Or make it, and then transfer it into another water bottle type bottle you might have. I wouldnt bring the ones used for the soda stream with you. (and they are suppose to be clean out right away,so you wouldnt want them sitting out for very long) Cause it supposely ruins the bottle. (can not put in a dish washer either it says)

You just rinse it out and then put water in the bottle and store in your fridge, then its ready for when you want to make your flavored water. Cause its best to have "cold" water when making it.

holiday621371738407.31269 PostsRegistered 4/3/2011WI
On 6/20/2013 holiday62 said:

I bought ours from HSN last year. Then i got another one (from HSN) cause the deal was so good with extra bottles/and lots of flavors with it. Cheaper buying the whole unit like that, cause then you get an extra CO2 bottle as well. That way we always have an extra one.

My daughter loves it. She's tried lots of flavors, but her favorites are the Cola and Lemon/Lime, and Rootbeer is in 3rd place. Its nice to have "fresh" soda, instead of flat.

And the part i love the best, is not lugging the litre bottles in my cart and back home! Love that!!! Such a small food print!

The bottles we got are plastic. Not sure if you can get glass ones? They are 1 litre and 1/2 litre. The only problem you might have, if your going to bring them with you for the day, is that they are not the easiest to drink from. You may want to have a cup on hand? Or bring a straw? Or make it, and then transfer it into another water bottle type bottle you might have. I wouldnt bring the ones used for the soda stream with you. (and they are suppose to be clean out right away,so you wouldnt want them sitting out for very long) Cause it supposely ruins the bottle. (can not put in a dish washer either it says)

You just rinse it out and then put water in the bottle and store in your fridge, then its ready for when you want to make your flavored water. Cause its best to have "cold" water when making it.

Just wanted to add, that if you get it at QVC, you only get a small CO2. That will not last very long, at all. Better to get the deal from HSN if possible or wait for when they have it as a Special. You get alot of product doing it that way.

sunshine451371745567.7841871 PostsRegistered 1/13/2007east coast and west coast
On 6/20/2013 JeanLouiseFinch said:

I bought the Fountain Jet kit from HSN last fall. At first, I loved it, but now I have mixed feelings about it. It's definitely easy to use, kind of fun, convenient, and you make what you'll use rather than having half drank cans of pop in the 'fridge that you end up pitching anyway because they've gone flat. Lots of places sell the refill CO2 carbonators so they're easy to get. You can buy brand new if you want to, but it's half the price to turn in an empty can and buy a refilled canister (like you would do with a gas grill tank). I will tell you that some of the flavors are not an exact match for their name brand counterparts, but that doesn't mean they're bad either, just a little different. The root beer probably has the most flavor, and is closest in flavor to traditional root beer, of the ones I've tried. There are diet flavors and regular flavors of syrup. The regular flavors are low calorie, which I liked until I noticed "sucralose" (chemical name for Splenda) on the label. The bottles that come with the SodaStream are made to be used with it - specially sized, thicker plastic (BOA free), and a special cap. You can't use a random half liter bottle or typical water bottle with the machine.

sodastream does make some all natural flavorings of your favorite beverages, including root beer, ginger ale, pink grapefruit, and others.

"When will our consciences grow so tender that we will act to prevent human misery rather than avenge it?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

stevieb1371745823.0429742 PostsRegistered 11/4/2007

Don't have it so can't speak to its value, but it wouldn't be worth it for me. I don't drink a lot of soda, so what I want I'll just continue to buy already made. Besdies, I don't need any more gadgets cluttering up the kitchen!

everafter1371755479.72756 PostsRegistered 6/12/2007
I love my soda stream. I don't agree with post #10. As long as they keep selling the syrups for it I believe it will stay popular. Making soda with filtered fresh cold water from the fridge dispenser just tastes so much better than canned or bottled soda sold at the stores. And you make it as you need it so it is always fresh. Also, you have total control over how much syrup and carbonation goes in.

NYC Susan1371761522.7334662 PostsRegistered 1/28/2007New York City and East Hampton, NY
On 6/20/2013 Crimson said:

I have had a Sodastream for over a year. I loved it at first, but as time has went on, I realize what a pain it is to exchange the CO2 canisters. Yes, there are a lot of places to exchange them where I live, but it is a hassle. The cartridges do not last very long and I don't overuse the carbonation. It's the "razor blades" model in business. They offer the product at a low price (I think I paid $80.00 for unit off HSN), then charge you $4.99 - $9.99 per bottle of flavoring. The flavorings do not last long. The diet root beer and diet grapefruit are the two best diet flavors (so far). My husband hates all the flavors and will not use it at all. It has become the emergency drink machine when we are out of everything else, so I still use it, just not very often. I can see how it would be awesome for boats or campers.

The canisters last at least two months for me. I exchange them at Bed Bath & Beyond, and with a coupon it comes to $10. I don't find it to be a pain at all, and the price of less than $5/month cannot be beat. I really love that it's environment-friendly too.

What I always found to be a pain was having to keep track of how much seltzer I had, going out, buying more, and then having to drag bottles into the house - usually many at a time. And then recycling all those bottles! I don't miss that at all. I drink seltzer with lemon all day long, and it is so nice having a pretty much neverending supply with very little effort and at practically no cost. JMO, of course! Kiss

FindingMyJ­oy1371767631.36615 PostsRegistered 12/28/2012

It's worth the purchase. HSN has today specials on it a couple times a year and have kits online most of time. HSN has great return policy if you want to try it out. I did find that you really need to shop around for best price of syrups since the price varies in the many local stores that now carry this line.

Page 1 of 2