TSV(R) Preview
73 Members and 14731 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

truvia and making bread question

Started 1368019149.303 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1368186091.333 by boby
replies

Can artificial sugar such as truvia or spenda be used when making bread in breadmaker instead of regular granulated sugar.

Page 1 of 1
boby1368025571.8173095 PostsRegistered 2/10/2006Town of Ulster-suburb of Kingston, NY

Artificial sweeteners can be used in baking where the final product is kind of moist to begin with, like pies, custards, flans, etc., but I wouldn't recommend them in breads or pastries. They duplicate sugar's sweetness, but they don't feed the yeast, and lack sugar's other qualities. The texture won't be the same; if you use splenda or truvia you'll likely get a dry, crumbly possibly dense loaf.

4uthebest1368026018.8433527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009

All that yeast needs to activate is a small amount of sugar/honey etc and for sweetening, you can use stevia yet since it is so sweet, volume needs to be made up with fillers such as applesauce, banana puree, or other substance as in baking measurements of volume are critical.

CLEM1368053326.7212525 PostsRegistered 9/1/2008PA

Truvia is not an artificial sweetener. It's made from a plant. I have used it for baking and it is fine.

gardenman1368101108.46717089 PostsRegistered 6/30/2005Southern New Jersey

My only concern would be that the yeast feeds on sugar and I'm not sure if the yeast would feed on the Truvia. That could affect the rising times and amount of rise one would get from the yeast. Taste-wise both breads should taste the same, but sugar isn't added to bread just to make it sweeter, it's also there, often primarily there, to feed the yeast. I have no idea if the yeast would feed on the Truvia or not. The only real way to know is by trying and seeing what happens. Most yeast bread recipes have a relatively small amount of sugar added (a tablespoon or so) and when you're looking at the number of servings compared to the amount of sugar, the caloric affect per serving from the sugar is pretty minimal.

Professional bakers tweak the ratio between salt (yeast retarder) and sugar (yeast enhancer) to achieve optimal rise. For breads they want to rise slowly they'll add more salt and less sugar. For breads that want a faster rise they'll add more sugar and less salt. If the yeast doesn't feed on Truvia, you'll get a loaf that tastes as sweet but won't rise as well as one made with sugar.

Fly! Eagles! Fly!

mema671368111077.2767 PostsRegistered 10/14/2012

Thanks to all of you who replied. Guess I will go ahead and use sugar as indicated in recipe. Have not used bread machine in so long forgot how little sugar is used. Have seen several posts and thought I might make some bread. Does not seem to last as long as store and I know all the preseratives that are added is why, but just my husband and I and I really don't eat that much bread nor does he. Might give a partial loaf to a neighbor. Thanks again.

boby1368186091.3333095 PostsRegistered 2/10/2006Town of Ulster-suburb of Kingston, NY

Mema67: If shelf life of homemade bread is a concern, raisin or date bread or the like will last longer. The acid in the fruit retards spoilage naturally.

Page 1 of 1