TSV(R) Preview
15 Members and 8297 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Nuwave induction cooker

Started 1358481080.347 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1358886747.37 by nascar fan

I notice that Bob Warden is the emcee for the informercial on the Nuwave induction cooker on other commercial networks. I hope it comes to QVC. They are selling it as buy one, get one free and that always causes problems with shipping fees. Besides, I would like to be able to return it with the QVC policy if it does not work. I like the fact that it has a readout on the exact temperature. Looks interesting. Has anyone heard any other particulars about induction cooking and this unit? Does anyone own this Nuwave unit?

Page 1 of 1
jetts_mom1358482883.832649 PostsRegistered 4/14/2010

I'm not sure if it's the unit you're talking about, but my BIL bought a NuWave cooker and just loves it. He has taken over doing most of the cooking now because it works so well and is so easy. I have to admit, with that cooker he's become a much better cook than my sister!

You were born an original - don't die a copy.

Katmary1358483890.241602 PostsRegistered 4/24/2006

My neighbor has one and he and his wife love it. He'd given one to a relative as a gift and it didn't work out for them, so they were returning it. His relative he gifted one to has a pacemaker and it caused issues with it, so they decided to give it back to him. He wants to give it to me, and I really don't know anything about induction cooking so I look forward to learning more!

After talking to him, I scrolled through the channels and watched this same one. I look forward to learning more from other posts! I don't know if this is the same one, but he's a big fan of the one he has. He did say something like the pan you use with it can't be magnetic? It sounded like he was using an earthpan with it. I wish I could add more to this, but I was clueless when he first asked me about it and I'll likely be getting it soon.

The pacemaker issue may be something to look into for those who have them or have people living with them who have them as it couldn't be used around the relative with one. I wish I could share more, but am looking forward to learning more from everyone. :)

RocketMom1358485708.3732693 PostsRegistered 9/23/2007

If you are referring to the induction cook tops, I got 2 of these when we started our kitchen remodel and they worked well. I was able to cook without a stove for 3 months and it worked out well. They heated up quickly and held temperature well. Not all pots and pans work with induction cooktop, but several do. Hard Anodized and Cast Iron do not work with induction cooktops. I now have a new kitchen and range, but am keeping the cooktops for use on the deck, for fondue and holiday serving. One word of caution is that the shipping and handling fees for the buy one, get one offer really do add up, especially if you fall for all the "free" items so be careful with what you order.

ris1358486188.55312 PostsRegistered 8/1/2010

Thanks, everyone, for the input. On further reading I see a very detailed helpful discussion earlier on in this forum and your replies and the earlier posts have provided a lot of info. I see a listing of this PIC now on Kohl's and it is beginning to be on Amazon. I still hope QVC will have one and will wait a little while to purchase mine.

4uthebest1358533443.83527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 1/17/2013 jetts_mom said:

I'm not sure if it's the unit you're talking about, but my BIL bought a NuWave cooker and just loves it. He has taken over doing most of the cooking now because it works so well and is so easy. I have to admit, with that cooker he's become a much better cook than my sister!

No it is not. It is a cook top not a cook pot

boby1358535314.663096 PostsRegistered 2/10/2006Town of Ulster-suburb of Kingston, NY

The PIC is on sale at Kohl's for $90. If you have a 30% off coupon it's worth considering. Otherwise, the infomercial is probably a better offer considering all the utensils you get with it.

Incidentally, for those concerned about buying all new cookware, Chef's Catalog sells an induction plate (an adapter by any other name) for $60 that will allow you to use ANY type of cookware with the PIC. Not sure how putting a second surface between the PIC and the pot would affect cooking times/temps.

Last edited on 1/18/2013

Last edited on 1/18/2013

sassy lady1358537482.243181 PostsRegistered 4/11/2007CA

I have an aroma induction cook plate. Not all stainless steel will work on it, check the cookware with a magnet. Cast iron will but it should be smooth on the bottom so it doesn't scratch the glass. Aluminum, copper and glass will not work on induction cook-tops. I love mine, heats really fast and when you need to turn it down, it does it immediately. Plus if anything spills on the burner, it won't cook on. I use mine every morning to perk a pot of coffee and choose to use it more than my stove, unless I'm using one of my really big pans! Wish they'd make one with a really large burner (14 inches or more)

sassylady

“Lady Nancy Astor: Winston, if you were my husband, I'd poison your tea.
Churchill: Nancy, if I were your husband, I'd drink it.”

4uthebest1358539978.4633527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 1/18/2013 boby said:

The PIC is on sale at Kohl's for $90. If you have a 30% off coupon it's worth considering. Otherwise, the infomercial is probably a better offer considering all the utensils you get with it.

Incidentally, for those concerned about buying all new cookware, Chef's Catalog sells an induction plate (an adapter by any other name) for $60 that will allow you to use ANY type of cookware with the PIC. Not sure how putting a second surface between the PIC and the pot would affect cooking times/temps.

Last edited on 1/18/2013

Save your $60 as the plate virtually defeats the purpose and performaceof an induction.

nascar fan1358546268.121038 PostsRegistered 1/25/2005
Hubby bought them on the infomercial for me. I am having great success with them. Well. One actually. Haven't used one. Been pondering saving one for gd when she goes away to school. Over Christmas I used it to melt chocolate& the colored wafers. I used 100 degrees and it worked fantastic. I really like how it stays it the set temp. I have been looking for a new grill pan and have gotten some strange looks with my magnet taping! Lol we received the "free" tote bag with ours. I use it at least 5 or 6 times a week. nascar fan

DiamondGir­ly1358848692.632463 PostsRegistered 9/7/2009Sunny California
On 1/18/2013 boby said:

Last edited on 1/18/2013

boby - Thank you so much!! I had a 30% off coupon, and today was the last day to use it. I went to Kohl's to get some clothes for my Grandson's 2nd birthday, and I wandered over to the Kitchen Electrics.

The NuWave Precision Induction Cooktop is $99.99 @ Kohl's online; in the store, the sale price was $89.99 + and extra 10% off = $80.99. Then, I got 30% off that price! So, I bought it for $56.69, and it included a fry pan! I figure this price is LOTS better than the crazy shipping they charge at the NuWave site!!

I'm excited to try it...

Thanks, again! (I got the last one, too!!) ;)

Buon Appetito!!
Glori in Cali
Go San Francisco 49ers & GIANTS!!!

boby1358875441.83096 PostsRegistered 2/10/2006Town of Ulster-suburb of Kingston, NY

4uthebest: Thanks. That's kind of what I figured. Probably takes forever to heat up. Might a

boby1358875442.4933096 PostsRegistered 2/10/2006Town of Ulster-suburb of Kingston, NY

4uthebest: Thanks. That's kind of what I figured. Probably takes forever to heat up. Might as well invest the $60 in some induction-compatible cookware. Sorry for the double-post. Crazy computer flipped to post in the middle of my sentence!

Last edited on 1/22/2013

Last edited on 1/22/2013

Last edited on 1/22/2013

Foodie 71358882007.813740 PostsRegistered 3/9/2006

Yes, I have the NuWave PIC (Precision Induction Cooker) – actually I have two. I love, love, love this PIC. In fact I almost never use my electric stove anymore. I get much better control of the heat with the PIC.

While the NuWave folks want you to purchase two PICs and encourage you to “buy one, get one free” that’s not really what happens because you have to pay shipping/processing for the “free” PIC. When I purchased mine a few months ago this was the deal and why I did what I did.

1 PIC for $99.99 + $29.95 S/P for a total cost of $129.94

However if you get the 2nd PIC that is ostensibly “free”, they add $29.95 additional dollars to the cost of the order for shipping the 2nd PIC.

1st PIC: $99.99 + $29.95 S/P for a total of $129.94

2nd PIC: “free” + $29.95 S/P for a total of $29.95

Total cost of getting two PICs is $159.89

So the question was, did I want to pay $130 for one PIC or would I like to pay $80 per PIC and get two of them for a total of $160? For $30 more bucks it made sense to me to get two.

I could use the PICs for 90 days and still return them if I wasn’t happy, however the only refund I would get was the 99.99 for the first PIC. NuWave keeps what I paid them in shipping ($59.90) + I pay the cost of return shipping if I want to return the product. Both of these factors make a customer very reluctant to return anything but a defective product.

Since the PICs are made in China, that $59.90 probably covers their cost for the two machines so even if I returned the product there’s probably no cost to them. Not only that they’ve got the PIC back and they can send it to a new customer, sell it used and do whatever with it they do to make money. It’s a can’t lose proposition for NuWave – and a brilliant marketing plan.

That all said, I chose to get two PICs – the original one plus the “free” one as I felt it was a better deal at that time. I figured I’d either have a back up, or two I could use all the time, or one I could give one as a gift. Do note that NuWave wants to sell you all kinds of “extras” (again ostensibly free except for s/p charges). However you don’t have to get any of the extra stuff and I’d recommend not doing so. If you don’t have induction-ready cookware, buy it elsewhere. It will be better quality and less expensive.

The NuWave PIC was not available from Kohls or anywhere else when I purchased mine. If you only want one, it sounds like Kohls is now a better deal – especially with a coupon of some sort. If you want two, ordering from NuWave might still be a better deal.

By the way, I also own a Max Burton 6200 Portable Induction Cooktop I purchased before the NuWave PIC was available. It was the one Cook's Illustrated recommended as the best. They didn't review the NuWave PICs. I liked the Max Burton just fine until I learned of the NuWave PIC which is a better unit with better heat control options.

nascar fan1358886747.371038 PostsRegistered 1/25/2005
I had bought a set of hard anodized cookware at costco last jan. I had only used 1 piece. Yesterday we were at b,b,&b.they had a set of cusinard c.w,induction c.w. regularly 299.99. On sale for 239.99? I had a couple couples too so I got it even cheaper. Then there is a free grill pan offer too. Do dd is getting new c.w. tomorrow when I have lunch with her. Now I won't be cussin, lookin for a pan for my PIC!! I am making chicken & homemade noodles on it now!! I love how the temp stays the same, no boil overs, stays at a true simmer!, we got two of them,but have only used one so far! I looked at Khols yesterday too, as I had a 30 percent couple, but didn't see the PIC there. They also didn't have any induction. C.W. either. I have been carrying a magnet with me! nascar fan

Page 1 of 1