TSV(R) Preview
81 Members and 9223 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Banquette style seating in your kitchen . . . pros/cons

Started 1356893893.493 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1356924844.68 by Luma2
replies

As you may or may not know, our home at the Jersey shore got ruined in Hurricane Sandy. The house has been gutted and now it's time to start putting it back together. We're thinking of changing from a traditional kitchen table and chairs to a banquette style seating area. If you have such an area in your kitchen, can you tell me about it? Pictures would be greatly appreciated.

~SEA~

Page 1 of 1
wendydarli­ng1356895893.457648 PostsRegistered 1/15/2009

Seaswirl, i do not have this in my kitchen but i have to say, I've always wanted it. It seems cozy & unique. Whenever i go to restaurants, I always like to sit in booths which is the same idea. It would be neat because then your dining room could stay more formal while the banquette area is informal & just begs for people to gather together, sip beverages, eat, talk & create a warm, welcoming kitchen area. I think it's a great idea. Good luck w/ whatever you decide.

saversmom1356896391.5435642 PostsRegistered 5/10/2009

Seaswirl, I had the banquette style in our kitchen and I loved it. The seats lifted up to include a great amount of storage. We had that set in our kitchen for many years. When it came to replace it, we could not find one that filled the bill for us the way the original one did. I have seen them again and our son and daughter in law have one in their kitchen. The seats lift on theirs too, but the storage is not as deep as the one I had.

Best of luck to you as you regroup.

coldlake1356897155.421325 PostsRegistered 12/5/2008

I don't have it now but I've lived in homes that had this.

Pros: good for smaller kids, (they can squeeze in all their friends) and they can't tip chairs over

easy to keep looking neat, (no chairs pushed in unevenly or left out)

you can sit sideways and put your feet up if you are alone

storage under the benches

Cons: you have a fixed limit for seating space

not easy to change the look of the room

can't shove the table/chairs against the wall if you need floor space for a project

celebration1356918996.17717 PostsRegistered 11/8/2006rochester hills, mi & celebration, fl

We added a banquette "nook" when we remodeled our kitchen. It is a "U" shaped space. The banquette is made up of an "L" shaped bench on two walls. The bench has storage underneath and custom made cushions for the top. The other side does not have a built-in bench. Instead, I used a 48" upholstered bench which can be moved as needed.

The area can seat 8 people with the addition of two chairs on the open side of the "U". Hope that makes sense. We really enjoy it as a casual eating spot.

The only downside: if the table is "fully loaded" (i.e., 6 or 8 diners) getting in and out of the space requires 2 or 3 people to move if someone needs to get up. So, it may not be comfortable for sitting around with a lot of people for a long period of time, depending on the configuration of your room.

Bottom line: I would do it again. I store LOTS of items in those benches. For example, the bread machine, ice cream machine, and large, seldom used serving pieces. It also looks good and is kind of out of the ordinary.

Last edited on 12/30/2012

"Women always try to tame themselves as they get older, but the ones who look best are often a little wilder."

Miuccia Prada

celebration1356920847.063717 PostsRegistered 11/8/2006rochester hills, mi & celebration, fl

I really wish they would fix the edit feature on this board. How frustrating.

Just wanted to add that the website "Houzz" has so many great ideas for all types of house remodels. If you just put "kitchen banquette" into the search bar, many ideas will come up. You will be able to surf around that site and find many things to inspire you. Good luck!

"Women always try to tame themselves as they get older, but the ones who look best are often a little wilder."

Miuccia Prada

Luma21356924844.667237 PostsRegistered 12/15/2010

Might depend on how many people are in the family. When I was growing up (6 kids), there were 8 at the table every night. There was a bench built along the wall (long side of the table). The other 3 sides of the table had regular chairs. That way only the child seated in the middle of the bench had trouble getting in and out.

Page 1 of 1