Back-in-Stock Fashions
8 Members and 11242 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Fruits & Veggies Would You?

Started 1355582830.617 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1355632408.12 by dex

There's a new fruit/veggie stand that has opened nearby. I was so excited to get super fresh produce and found out it's from Guatemala and other countries.

Would you eat it? I left empty handed. How could someone open a place and not have local fruits/veggies is beyond me.

Thanks for your input.

Respectfully ~
Kate

Page 1 of 1
Sooner1355583220.7115226 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

People have to make money so they have to resell sometimes. Not all areas have crops growing all year or at all depending on the weather. Not all the things sold at our big farmer's market is local. You just have to look and decide what you eat and from where.

madame j1355583255.523538 PostsRegistered 10/22/2012Texas

I eat fruit and veggies from other countries. I wash them well and when I lived overseas years ago we used to soak fruit and veggies in a solution with clorox and water to kill germs. I have not been sick yet!

lacey11355584141.5772356 PostsRegistered 6/5/2009

I second the diluted bleach solution. I knew of someone that got tapeworm from eating unwashed fruit in Israel. I do worry that the plants may have been watered with polluted water, and sprayed with insecticides that are banned in USA. Sometimes you're best bet is frozen fruits and veggies from USA. When we were kids, you got fresh fruit only when it was in season.

Snowpuppy1355584424.636527 PostsRegistered 12/2/2005Up North, MI

I wouldn't touch them.

I don't buy imported produce for 2 reasons. I don't trust their growing/handling standards and there isn't much that can be produced overseas that isn't grown in the USA. And while it's true that all are 'inspected', the truth is about 1% is sampled.

While we have a short growing season up here, I buy locally as much as I possibly can. It supports local farmers. Interestingly, living close to the border, I saw an article about Canadian farmers doing more organic greenhouse growing to produce year round. Seems they're a little tired of imports as well and their season is much shorter than ours.

I applaud you for making the effort! Keep looking and keep asking! I'm sure you'll find a great alternative to your supermarket!

Moonlady1355585137.09314591 PostsRegistered 8/2/2007Upstate NY

Check your frozen vegetables some time. Most frozen broccoli, for example, is from Guatemala.

__
Dogs feel very strongly that they should always go with you in the car, in case the need should arise for them to bark violently at nothing, right in your ear.
--Dave Barry

lacey11355586818.922356 PostsRegistered 6/5/2009
On 12/15/2012 Moonlady said:

Check your frozen vegetables some time. Most frozen broccoli, for example, is from Guatemala.


That's why it's important to read the labels. Canned food is also an alternative. While on the subject of imported food- farmed shrimp, fish from Asia may be highly polluted from human sewage. They just dump antibiotics in to keep them alive, until they get to the freezer.

dex1355586982.2033163 PostsRegistered 4/2/2006

I try to eat only local or Canadian where possible.I also prefer organic and non GMO

DiAnne1355587700.695794 PostsRegistered 9/22/2010

I would not be eating any fresh vegetables or fruit in the winter if I stuck to that. I think I will take the chance.

wagirl1355589711.4334672 PostsRegistered 10/20/2004

I would eat it after washing it very well. Where do you think alot of the produce comes from when we can't get it in the US. Just look it over very well first. Non GMO is a must and still be careful even tho its organic--still have to wash very well.

dex1355591124.4133163 PostsRegistered 4/2/2006
On 12/15/2012 wagirl said:

I would eat it after washing it very well. Where do you think alot of the produce comes from when we can't get it in the US. Just look it over very well first. Non GMO is a must and still be careful even tho its organic--still have to wash very well.


Thanks about the washing reminder as that is an important rule these days.

chickenbutt1355591641.1924331 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

Nothing (at all!) against Central or South America, but they don't have the laws to protect foods like we do, so I am careful. I have an immune system condition so I try to be cautious.

I have to be especially careful if it is for the bird because he can be hurt (or worse) so much more easily than can I. He loves the seeded Globe (or something like that) grapes and it seems like about the only ones I ever find are from Chile. When I get him some of those I put them in a wash of 1pt distilled white vinegar and 10pts water and let them soak for a while. Then I run some plain water over them to give them a good 'rinse-off' after that. So far, so good.

I do prefer produce from the US or Canada and, often, when I cannot find that I just don't buy. It seems like the season for California Haas avocadoes has gotten much shorter, the last few years, and most of what I see here are either from Mexico or Chile. They just are not nearly as good, so I pass. :( Same goes for strawberries and other such items.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

dex1355592079.6273163 PostsRegistered 4/2/2006

I agree with ya chickenbutt that some countries standards for safety are lacking.I used to live in Canada and I know that their standards are very high so if at all possible that is my choice and we live close to the BC boarder so freshness is better.

chickenbutt1355593341.00724331 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown
On 12/15/2012 dex said:

I agree with ya chickenbutt that some countries standards for safety are lacking.I used to live in Canada and I know that their standards are very high so if at all possible that is my choice and we live close to the BC boarder so freshness is better.


Yeah, and the problem with produce coming from some countries is that the toxins can go well beyond the skin of the flesh, so just washing them does little to no good.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

cab19551355594366.8871200 PostsRegistered 11/17/2004southwest michigan
On 12/15/2012 DiAnne said:

I would not be eating any fresh vegetables or fruit in the winter if I stuck to that. I think I will take the chance.

I agree. I wash them thoroughly though. :) cb

Bibione1355595614.08443 PostsRegistered 7/23/2006

I only purchase fresh food made here or in Canada.

carrob1355596214.4171816 PostsRegistered 10/6/2010 FL

I would have left empty handed too!

Sunshine K­ate1355607584.6712272 PostsRegistered 11/13/2006The Beautiful Mountains & Western Sky

Thank you all for the replies.

I'm glad you feel the same way as I do. We really have to be careful where our produce is grown and I'll continue to be cautious.

Respectfully ~
Kate

sunshine451355614428.3142081 PostsRegistered 1/13/2007east coast and west coast

i would buy it and eat it...... i LOVE shopping in local ethnic grocery stores and produce stores. the quality is good, there is usually a good selection of produce, and the costs are much lower than what you can find at the grocery store....... PLUS you are helping a local small business STAY in business.

"When will our consciences grow so tender that we will act to prevent human misery rather than avenge it?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

forrestwolf1355615087.3276047 PostsRegistered 6/20/2010Deep in South Georgia

I hope you do not like bananas or coconuts...........Wink I don't think they come from the US or Canada.........The same is true for many tropical fruits.....AND do not think the pineapples you eat only come from a Dole plantation in Hawaii.........I love Chilean fruit, and have no problems eating fruits from other countries..........Smile I prefer fresh over frozen or canned any day..........I hope you are not having dates for Christmas either, or in your fruit cake...........There are just so many things that I love to eat, that are not something that is grown locally..........AND, I live in the primary place watermelons are grown, and none that you buy here are grown here, and the ones grown here, are mostly sent to other countries..........GO FIGURE.......{#emotions_dlg.scared}

"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack"
1895 Rudyard Kipling
EDUCATE........NOT ERADICATE

Desertdi1355615339.33316016 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007Surface of the Sun

I've lived in border states for over 40 years and have eaten imported produce for that long.

dex1355632408.123163 PostsRegistered 4/2/2006
On 12/15/2012 forrestwolf said:

I hope you do not like bananas or coconuts...........Wink I don't think they come from the US or Canada.........The same is true for many tropical fruits.....AND do not think the pineapples you eat only come from a Dole plantation in Hawaii.........I love Chilean fruit, and have no problems eating fruits from other countries..........Smile I prefer fresh over frozen or canned any day..........I hope you are not having dates for Christmas either, or in your fruit cake...........There are just so many things that I love to eat, that are not something that is grown locally..........AND, I live in the primary place watermelons are grown, and none that you buy here are grown here, and the ones grown here, are mostly sent to other countries..........GO FIGURE.......{#emotions_dlg.scared}

I know that it isn't always possible to get produce from my preferable sources but I try to consume the largest amounts of those and few of the others.

Page 1 of 1