Shoes & Handbags Offers
68 Members and 10445 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Need a No Carb Dinner for Christmas Eve

Started 1355150760.997 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1355394204.97 by TSDTS

My daughter and son-in-law are on a no carb diet, so that changes what i usually make for our Christmas Eve dinner. They eat a lot of chicken and salad, she doesn't like fish and they have two boys who love to eat anything. I still want to make something special but am at a loss. Please help with some ideas, thanks.

you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, well you just might find, that you get what you need...The Rolling Stones

Page 1 of 1
Marsha20031355153021.184405 PostsRegistered 10/31/2007

Make a regular turkey dinner. Just don't slather the bird with butter and add an undressed salad and a steamed vegetable or two like broccoli or sugar snap peas. You and the boys can eat what you like and your daughter and her husband can nosh on the turkey, the salad and the steamed vegetables.

daisyk1355153096.77449 PostsRegistered 5/20/2011

I have Suzanne Somers Eat Great, Lose Weight book and she has a holiday dinner consisting of Turkey with a sausage and mushroom stuffing, no bread in it, and tarragon gravy. I'm thinking you could do a roast chicken instead. She also serves a pureed celery root which I've never tried-you could maybe do a pureed cauliflower for same effect and then she has green beans in a vinaigrette. The stuffing looks very good. Steaks with sauteed mushrooms and onions would also be good with an assortment of veggies or salads.

mima1355153275.0214344 PostsRegistered 10/19/2004KS
On 12/10/2012 Marsha2003 said:

Make a regular turkey dinner. Just don't slather the bird with butter and add an undressed salad and a steamed vegetable or two like broccoli or sugar snap peas. You and the boys can eat what you like and your daughter and her husband can nosh on the turkey, the salad and the steamed vegetables.

Lo-carbers can eat real butter and real salad dressing (not diet).

Mima

Bungo1355153477.973360 PostsRegistered 6/20/2006

I am a vegetarian soooo when I go out I bring my own food. I think if it is a lo-carb diet to lose weight your family can do the same or just eat what you are serving.I think it is rude to expect your host family to cater to your needs,especially if it just to lose weight.

I may never pass this way again.

Lynneuk1355153601.68193 PostsRegistered 11/3/2006

You could do a tenderloin or prime rib, turkey or ham. Just have a few extra fresh veggie sides. Steamed green beans or broccoli with butter, roasted asparagus etc. The rest can still have potatoes or whatever else you would like.

A crustless cheesecake made with splenda or fresh berries with whipped cream would be perfect for dessert.

Troop_Angel1355154930.285418 PostsRegistered 4/22/2006

I agree with Bungo. I wouldn't worry about it. You should make your traditional Christmas Eve dinner. I'm sure there will be something at the table they can eat -- turkey, vegetables. If you have time, maybe you could add another veggie. My brother and sister-in-law go on the Atkins diet throughout the year, and when they come for Thanksgiving and Christmas, they never mention it and dig right in! I notice they do stay away from the bread and rolls though.

susan4231355156201.731232 PostsRegistered 11/5/2006

If they are on a NO carb diet the only thing they eat is meat and fat. So I suspect it's a low carb diet :-) As long as they have turkey with plenty of butter and a salad with real salad dressing they should be happy. If you want some extra work you can make cauliflower mash. Make it just like mashed potatos only use cooked caulifower instead. Deviled eggs are also a good choice.

luvpoos1355160079.035830 PostsRegistered 5/3/2006Kingston Ma

All of your responses sound perfect, I may go with the turkey as they have chicken quite often. May try the mashed cauliflower although I have never had it before along with my party mashed potatoes which my family and the kids love, along with a salad and some broccoli. hmmm...the sausage and mushroom stuffing sounds interesting too, I like to try new dishes. I could even make some of this ahead of time, since I am having another crew for Christmas dinner. Also Christmas is my birthday, don't want to work too hard:)

you can't always get what you want, but if you try sometime, well you just might find, that you get what you need...The Rolling Stones

chickenbutt1355160549.29723567 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

It's not my business, but NO-carb is no way to go. I hope they are doing it on a very short-term basis, for the sake of their health.

Anyway, if you need to go 100% no carb, be aware of what veg you are serving. Peas, carrots, corn, and a few others, have a lot of carbs in them.

Mashed cauliflower is awesome! I did a low carb thing, some years back, and discovered mashed cauliflower. I just mashed it with some butter and s&p, and it was delightful.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

AnnMarie-11355160714.013499 PostsRegistered 7/15/2007Western NY

I've made Suzanne Somer's mushroom & sausage stuffing (a while back now), but I remember it was very good....and the celery root puree is good too

A nice big salad, a homemade italian dressing, turkey & that stuffing would be ok fo me & I am not a low carber, just like yummy food!

Last edited on 12/10/2012

Last edited on 12/10/2012

54 now, light-med skin tone, dark blonde hair, blue eyes

Silver Lin­ing1355161427.7733616 PostsRegistered 4/15/2010

Early happy birthday to you, luvpoos! It's probably not necessary to make any changes in your regular menu. Since they are on NO Carb, they will know what is allowed or not allowed on that diet, and can fill up on the proteins and salads that you are serving.

mikki_g1355164179.2131640 PostsRegistered 10/30/2012

Seems like they could eat around the carbs. Protein and vegs.

I would not expect my mom to alter the menu or make me anything special.

ID21355168243.092159 PostsRegistered 6/25/2012
On 12/10/2012 mikki_g said:

Seems like they could eat around the carbs. Protein and vegs.

I would not expect my mom to alter the menu or make me anything special.

I'm sure the OP is just being a mom. I definitely would prepare food for special diets for my loved ones.

Love my "Pure Michigan"

TheWinner1355168445.7931366 PostsRegistered 9/5/2012Planet Earth

Just make sure there are several dishes of just low carb vegetables....and protein type dishes. They should be able to fill up on those.

~~~ A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory...~~~

TSDTS1355394204.967748 PostsRegistered 6/13/2006Sonoma County, CA

Asparagus, broccoli, green beans and cauliflower are all good low-carb veggies. They do have some carbs but not like other vegetables.

Here's a really good cauliflower bake we make. I usually use 1/2 a head for the 3 of us so a whole head of cauliflower would be good for more people.

Ingredients: 1 head of cauliflower, 1/2-3/4 cup mayonnaise (I eyeball it w/the mustard), 2 tablespoons mustard and about a cup grated chedder cheese

Break up the florettes and either microwave (if you have a fresh vegetable button, use that for soft veggies) or steam until just under done (you're going to bake also).

After nuking/steaming, spray pan with PAM or other non-stick spray and put the cauliflower in a baking dish (1/2 recipe is perfect for a 10" deep pie dish so probably a 9x13 for a whole recipe).

Mixe up 1/2-3/4 cup of mayonnaise and 2 tablespoons of yellow mustard and slather on the top of the cauliflower to coat the top.

Top with the grated cheese and bake in a 375 oven for about 25-30 minutes. Or, if you have other things in a 350 oven, bake a little longer until it just starts to brown a little on the top.

This is one our favorite cauliflower recipes. We like it much better than the mashed.

If I do mashed, I add in a little cream cheese, grated chedder cheese and bacon bits but we prefer the other baked one more.

Page 1 of 1