Christmas in July(R) Sale
93 Members and 12496 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Ninja 1500, 2hp blender

Started 1353765976.227 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1353870226.893 by Irshgrl31201
replies

Just saw this infomercial. It's a more powerful Ninja blender. Sounds as if they're chasing after Vitamix, etc.

Update: It's called the Mega system (I guess they're running out of names!). It's $200 with free S&H, and a 5 year warranty. They even claim to pay S&H, if you have to return, just like VitaMix.

These wannabe Vitamixes, (Montel, Wolfgang, Bon Apetite) have all been pretty worthless,(and dangerous-in some cases!). But, I had the 1100 Ninja blender, and I used it a lot before I got a Vitamix and it did as advertised. Well-made IMO.

Page 1 of 1
Mmsfoxxie1353780707.525107 PostsRegistered 6/19/2010

lacey1, I saw that infomercial late, late last night and was wondering if it really was as good as it claimed, too. I noticed that they had it performing right next to a VitaMix and made it appear that the Ninja did a better/faster job.

I have the VitaMix and love it so I don't plan on trying a Ninja. It'll probably be on QVC and I'll see a real demo on it since I am curious to see if the infomercial demo lives up to it's claim. Right now, it hasn't been through the test of time. Some of those gadgets work well only for a short time.

forrestwolf1353781322.8935947 PostsRegistered 6/20/2010Deep in South Georgia

I have to say that I have the Ninja Pulse, and it works wonderful for what I want.........BUT..........I have to say that for Thanksgiving, I used my Kitchen Aid hand mixer, all accessories, and my old Oster Kitchen Center, and my King Chef manuel devise, and did not pull out the Ninja, KA stand mixer, or KA food processor, as it was just easier with the other appliances...........{#emotions_dlg.crying}...........So, the high dollar things stayed in, and the simple items took center stage.............And I forgot, that I also used the Braun stick blender, with the mini chopper that it comes with.......Cool

"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack"
1895 Rudyard Kipling
EDUCATE........NOT ERADICATE

lacey11353781975.3172294 PostsRegistered 6/5/2009

Sometimes, I think the measure of a real cook/seamstress/woodworker, etc. is how well they can do, with the most primative of tools.

Somedays, I want to cook outside with charcoal, cast iron, and just a knife. Other times, it's appliance and gadget city!

As forrrestwolf pointed out, one way is not better than the other, just different. I have fun either way.

4uthebest1353835836.2233526 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009

I agree that most of the Vitamix knockoffs are less than stellar, but the Ninja products are well made and for certain tasks, out perform all others. The Mega Ninja is in my local BB&B and based on the infomercials which I have duplicated in the past quite accurately, I have little doubt that the Mega will fail to perform as advertised and if not , for me, it is easy to bring back to BB&B.

Foodie 71353862501.517739 PostsRegistered 3/9/2006

Cook’s Illustrated refers to the Vitamix as the “Ferrari of blenders” and their “luxe benchmark.” In September 2012 Cook’s Illustrated once again published reviews of blenders and as they say, they raised the bar since their last round of testing. “Hummus, crushed ice, margarita, and milkshake tests were givens, but to separate the workhorses from the wimps, every day for a month we also made smoothies in each one with fibrous frozen pineapple and stringy raw kale.”

“The losers—and there were many—were easy to pick out. Some blenders flat-out failed at ice crushing. Others sputtered their way through milkshakes and fruit smoothies. The task of demolishing kale proved the downfall of a number of machines. The best that some could do was chop the leaves into small pieces, while one lesser model completely broke down during the challenge. Only two models plowed through this and every other task without flinching.”

“Just as it has for years, this test kitchen stalwart (the Vitamix) proved that there’s virtually nothing it can’t handle, thanks to its long-armed, well-configured blades and souped-up (1,380-watt) motor. Its performance comes at a steep price, but its exceptional durability (not to mention seven-year warranty) makes it cheaper in the long run than a less expensive blender that needs continual replacing.”

Of the 9 blenders tested, two earned CI’s highest designation, “Highly Recommended”. They are the Vitamix and Breville The Hemisphere Control. Two were “Recommended with Reservations”—Ninja Professional and Hamilton Beach Rio Commercial Bar Blender. “NOT Recommended” blenders were the Cuisinart Blend and Cook Soup Maker, Hamilton Beach Wave Maker 2-Speed, Oster 7-Speed Reversing Motor Blender, Waring Pro Professional Food and Beverage Blender, KitchenAid 5-Speed Blender.

Thus my first choice would be the Vitamix, but if that was too pricey for my budget, I’d purchase the Breville The Hemisphere Control NOT the Ninja. The Breville is $200 on Amazon. Now are there people who like the Ninja? Sure, you see their posts here frequently – but have they put their Ninjas through the grueling tests CI puts its test blenders through? Doubtful. I’m glad people who have purchased Ninjas are happy, but I’d be inclined to follow the recommendations of the professionals at Cook’s Illustrated. By the way, CI compared the Vitamix to the Blendtec a couple of years ago and highly recommended the Vitamix and gave the Blendtec a Not Recommended rating.

Over the long haul, I think the Vitamix is the one that's going to shine. There's a reason it's been in business as long as it has. The fact that it's made in Cleveland Ohio is a plus as well.

CharmTx1353865753.987966 PostsRegistered 4/5/2009Deep in the heart of Texas

My Vitamix shines for me every single day. There is nothing that it can't do. I tried the first Ninja Blender when it came out. It was horrible. All of the ingredients stuck to the sides and the blades couldn't reach them. Pretty much the same with my other little Ninja thing. I wouldn't even consider a Ninja even though it is a new improved version, only because of my bad experience with them. I remember when I bought my Vitamix from the Q, I felt so guilty spending that kind of money for something I probably wouldn't use very often. The fact is that the performance of the Vitamix makes me want to use it more often. I try to drink healthy smoothies every day. I also use it to make healthy ice cream, soups, and lots of other things. Love it!

4uthebest1353869425.6473526 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009

The early Ninjas were never even designed to do the blending tasks like is expected of the Vitamix and Blendtec machines. That being said however, the 2 hp Ninja has more than 3x the power of the early Ninja machines and as such is far more capable. So far with the reviews I have seen regarding the Mega, they are very positive and that is including some regarding making green smoothies.

pupcakes1353869694.89721000 PostsRegistered 7/29/2006

I love Ninja. I have the smoothie & drink maker and on black friday got the Ninja Pulse Blender for $39. It's more than I need in my kitchen. Ninja is the best for crushing ice cubes. I use them for smoothies, humus and anything puree. I don't think you can go wrong with anything Ninja except for Q's prices. Shop around.

Life is like a snowstorm...you'll meet a lot of flakes.

Irshgrl312­011353870226.89313900 PostsRegistered 3/14/2006
On 11/25/2012 4uthebest said:

The early Ninjas were never even designed to do the blending tasks like is expected of the Vitamix and Blendtec machines. That being said however, the 2 hp Ninja has more than 3x the power of the early Ninja machines and as such is far more capable. So far with the reviews I have seen regarding the Mega, they are very positive and that is including some regarding making green smoothies.

I have seen some bad reviews for that and I agree with CharmTx, while having great power, things get flung to the side of the machine and there is no vortex pulling down the ingredients to combine them all some some stuff doesn't get a second mixing because it is stuck to the side. This is one of the common complaints with this machine. My friend brought hers over for T Giving because I had 30 people and she brought and extra one for drinks and other things and the frozen drinks had ice chunks still in there so nobody could drink out of a straw that had one made in the Ninja. I am also a big green juicer, kale and that kind of stuff. It did an absolutely horrible job on that and didn't even mix the frozen raspberries and blackberries properly even though we left it in there longer. It is fine for regular blending but I don't think it juices at all like a VM does. You have to chew you drink almost.

Also, the blades are ridiculously sharp especially since they aren't stationary and you have to handle them. I am used to sharp knives and such but you have to take these out to clean and if you aren't extremely careful with these, it will cut you like a razor.

There were also complaints about black plastic pieces starting to come off the machine and getting into whatever you were making. Enough complaints to realize this wasn't an isolated problem.

I absolutely love my Vitamix but I love Blendtec because I like the container better so I am giving my VM to my daughter and getting one.

I think Ninja is just fine for regular blending but it doesn't even come close to the job that a VM does. I mean, there is no reason for ice chunks to be left in there.

Page 1 of 1