Guaranteed Delivery
135 Members and 20020 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Tenderizing meat with baking soda

Started 1352847791.21 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1352937975.17 by depglass
replies

I was killing time in the library today and was reading a Cook's Illustrated. They mentioned tenderizing pork with baking soda, but didn't reference the recipe. Anyone know about this? They also put it in with ground beef.

Page 1 of 1
Brabls1352849538.5914740 PostsRegistered 4/27/2007

Tabwould up the sodium content. I would be leary since so many pork recipes call for plenty of stuff with high sodium levels.

katkitty1352903888.0234739 PostsRegistered 12/12/2007

"Chinese restaurants seem to get a tender, almost silky texture to their meats. Even dry pork seems much more tender than you can make it at home. Shrimp takes on a succulent texture, tender and yet almost crunchy. You can get that same tender and succulent meat at home with a simple and natural tenderizer, baking soda."

1. Prepare the meat. This tenderizer is most effective with smaller cuts of meat. Use it to tenderize meats sliced for stir-fry or stews or carnitas ahead of time, or on a chop or steak. If you're making shrimp, peel and devein the shrimp as usual.

2. Sprinkle baking soda on the raw meat. Use about 1 teaspoon for 1 pound of meat. It doesn't have to be exact, because you will rinse it off later. Work the baking soda into the meat a little with your hands.

3. Leave soda on meat for at least an hour.

4. Rinse thoroughly. You want to get all the baking soda off the surface of the meat. It's a tenderizer, not a condiment. Squeeze or wipe the excess water off the meat. Pat the meats dry with paper towels.

5. Continue with your recipe. If your recipe calls for the meat to be marinated in spices or sauce, you start with that step now.
  6. http://www.ehow.com/how_5560702_tenderize-meat-baking-soda.html

Homemade vinegar meat tenderizer. Vinegar works to break down the meat fibers, making them much more tender and easier to chew."

Combine 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar, 1/2 cup of vegetable oil, 2 cloves of chopped garlic, 1/4 of a finely chopped small onion, 1/2 tsp. of salt, a dash of freshly ground pepper, 1 tsp. of Worcestershire sauce and 1/2 tsp. of lemon juice in a mixing bowl.

• Pour 1/4 of the homemade meat tenderizer into the glass cookware and set the meat on top of it.
  • Pour the remaining contents of the mixing bowl over top of the meat. Make sure you rub some on the sides of the meat as well.
  • Cover the glass cookware with a sheet of plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator.
  • Remove after 12 to 24 hours and cook as you normally would.
-If you substitute soy sauce for Worcestershire sauce, don't add salt. Soy sauce is very salty all on its own.
-Onion and garlic powder can be substituted for the fresh ingredients if needed.
http://www.ehow.com/how_7146744_homemade-meat-tenderizer.html

Last edited on 11/14/2012

Last edited on 11/14/2012

gkelly57441352929289.9072723 PostsRegistered 4/22/2010

I have use baking soda on pork & the cheaper cuts of meat to make them tender. Never measured the amount and never let it marinate for long periods before I rinse the meat off. It works!!

depglass1352937975.16724401 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

Thanks, especially to katkitty for your time consuming answer. Of course I have to try this, sodium be damned.

Page 1 of 1