TSV(R) Preview
118 Members and 13416 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Trisha Yearwood's turkey cooking method?

Started 1352587354.107 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1352642828.467 by RedTop

I'm really skeptical about this, but Trisha featured this method on her show today and I'm curious as to whether any of you have done this. she said she puts a 12 lb. turkey in a roasting pan, adds about 2 cups of boiling water into the bottom of the pan ( I think the turkey was on a small rack). she preheats the oven to 500, cooks the bird for one hour at that temp then turns the oven off and leaves it overnight. the turkey on her show today was browned and looked well cooked, moist and tender. but I'm leery of leaving a turkey in the oven all night with the oven turned off. could the temp in the oven really stay at a safe temp to cook the turkey? I'm sure Trisha wouldn't have this on her show if it didn't work for her, but I don't know....

~BE BRAVE~

Page 1 of 1
duffie1352587793.527338 PostsRegistered 1/5/2008infinity and beyond

i saw that show and to me the turkey was not brown enough. the water probably steamed the meat but the skin was pale and the skin didn't look crisp. i don't think i would trust a turkey that has been out for 10 hours with no heat. sorry!

rondell1352592814.92313373 PostsRegistered 12/17/2009USA

I didn't see the show, but there's no way I would use this method. From what Duffy posted, it doesn't sound like it has that beautiful brown coloration that makes it so appetizing. Besides, I just wouldn't be able to trust this method of baking any kind of meat, especially poultry.

Sunshine K­ate1352593160.43712361 PostsRegistered 11/13/2006The Beautiful Mountains & Western Sky

I don't care for the taste of steamed poultry. Also, it's not worth the chance the temperature would be kept constant enough to kill germs. Food poisioning is nothing to play around with; not worth it to me.

Respectfully ~
Kate

JESSA1352593404.222411 PostsRegistered 12/18/2010

I would be afraid to try this too....especially on Thanksgiving Day. One time my mil put the turkey in a brown paper bag on Thanksgiving and it didn't bake. It was a mess.

Mochahoney1352596976.9272455 PostsRegistered 7/31/2007middle Mississippi

looks like I'm not the only one who doesn't think this is a good idea. I'll just stick to my usual method. I just remembered though, one time years ago I cooked a turkey overnight in 250 degree oven. as I recall it turned out great but it was so long ago I don't remember the details

~BE BRAVE~

taztn1352609691.253529 PostsRegistered 11/21/2005Tennessee

She said that, after turning the oven off, she left the turkey in until the oven had cooled completely, which was around 4 to 6 hours.

ennui1352612312.1519957 PostsRegistered 4/17/2007

This method was also in the weekend USA magazine thingie. She said the trick is not to open the oven door.

I'm also afraid of food poisoning.

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things." ~ Robert Brault

Desertdi1352613146.01716140 PostsRegistered 7/14/2007Surface of the Sun

I wouldn't take the chance. I had salmonella once, and would NEVER want to go back there.

Lynneuk1352639201.568316 PostsRegistered 11/3/2006

I always remember growing up in England my Mum would cook the turkey on Christmas Eve. It would come out of the oven and sit on the counter til we ate about 2pm on Christmas Day!

Sounds very risky now but there were 6 of us kids plus Mum and Dad and Grandparents and not one of us ever got sick,lol.

RedTop1352642828.434721 PostsRegistered 9/1/2010

This is exactly how I have been cooking my turkeys (any size), and even turkey breasts for more than 5 years, and I guarantee that it absolutely does work every time. The main thing is that once you put the turkey in the extremely hot oven and start the process, NO ONE OPENS THE OVEN DOOR until 4-5 hours later!!

I heat my oven to 500, put my rinsed turkey (even frozen turkey breasts) on a rack in the bottom of a covered roaster. I oil the skin and salt and pepper it. In the cavity I put one apple, one onion, and several stalks of celery. I add 2 quarts of boiling water, cover the roaster and put in the oven for 1 hour. Within minutes, steam is rolling out of the exhaust vent of the back stove burner. When the timer goes off after 1 hour, I turn the oven off and let the turkey cook until the oven is cool (normally 4 hours). When I take the turkey out of the oven and remove the roaster lid (which is still too warm to handle without pot holders), that turkey is always a beautiful golden brown, with a nice dark broth for gravy. There is no question about the meat being done, as the legs and wings have usually fallen away from the carcass. The meat is very moist and tender, it is still very warm, and you can well tell from the color and texture of the meat that it is done. Again, I have used this cooking method many times with a rock hard frozen turkey breast, with the same results. The very high heat and boiling water in the roaster STEAM the turkey to perfection, but if the skin is buttered, or oiled, it browns very nicely, just as if it was roasted.

I have no fear of salmonella with this cooking method, because when that food is steamed for 60 minutes @ 500 degrees, NO bacteria is going to survive and multiply in that intense heat. Every person I know who has been skeptical, but given this method a try, has admitted they cooked the perfect turkey for once, and finally made a nice rich turkey gravy as well.

Page 1 of 1