Shoes & Handbags Offers
156 Members and 12566 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Is Steel Cut Oats suppose to be really chewy?

Started 1349625174.203 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1350407886.443 by shoppinggirl59

I've never had them before. I just made some in my pressure cooker and followed directions.

It is good, but REALLY chewy.

Thanks!

Mima

Page 1 of 2
Zhills1349625684.0871271 PostsRegistered 11/15/2011

I cook them on top of the stove and they are chewy. Definitely not the consistancy or regular rolled oats. I really like them with a spoon of butter (Smart Balance) raisins and cinnamon. If necessary, sweeten slightly to your taste. I cook a batch and put separate bowls in the fridge. Reheat by adding a tablespoon of water on top and heating for 1 1/2 minutes in the microwave. Add water or milk to eating consistancy. Enjoy!

mima1349626258.32314349 PostsRegistered 10/19/2004KS

I had never eaten them before. I have had them for a long time. I did a search to find out if they get old (not opened). LOL

I ended up loving them. I ended up with 2 servings. I will have to cook some up ahead of time, because I'm not willing to wait 40 minutes to eat breakfast!

Thanks for the info.

I put 1 tsp. of sugar on mine (can't have artificial sugar), a little apple pie spice and some Vanilla Almond milk.

Very good! I was just surprised at how chewy they were and wondered if they came out right.

Mima

Yumagirl1349628210.78120 PostsRegistered 7/10/2012
I have read that they can be cooked in the crockpot. I would like to try that.

little boo­bala1349630734.413304 PostsRegistered 1/18/2009

I don't like oatmeal , I found a receipe for people that don't like oatmeal. I bought the steel cut oatmeal. I have tried the cholestrol lowering meds. they give me indigestion. So I thought I would buck up and try the oatmeal thing. I made this and have just ate out of it all week. It is VERY filling. You might want to try it. I have never seen steel cut until opened the container, quite different. Very nutty,and texture also crunchy not creamy. Which I like. I put carrots and pecans, apples and banana in mini chopper. Im a lazy cook. It didn't call for the pecans but i am a nut lover, so I probably put 1/4 cup or less in. I did cheat and put about 2 Tbsp. brown sugar in. I really don't follow directions , I do what I want, put in what you like.

Carrot Cake Oatmeal Pudding

1/4 cup Oatmeal, 1/2 banana, 1 small carrot grated, 1 Tbsp. raisins, 3/4 to 1 cup water, 1 cut up apple, pecans,, optional, pinch of salt, 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice. Cook on low to med. heat 30 minutes stirring occassionaly.

Icing

1 oz. cream cheese, 1/2 tsp. honey , 1/4 tsp vanilla Put a dollop on cake piece.

I think this is a good receipe if you are watching wheat intake, and no eggs.

lacey11349631775.4972343 PostsRegistered 6/5/2009

The steel cut ones do have a different texture. Don't worry about them not being thoroughly cooked, it won't hurt you to eat undercooked oatmeal. If fact, I put some uncooked oatmeal in my smoothies.

Lynneuk1349633361.5638193 PostsRegistered 11/3/2006

The best way to do them is in a mini slow cooker. Put them in just as you are going to bed and first thing in the morning they are perfect, ready and waiting.

I will post the amounts of oats/water or milk when I get home.

Zhills1349634670.3671271 PostsRegistered 11/15/2011

Another way to enjoy steel cut oats.

Overnight Steel Cut Oats

Yield:

3-4 servings

Recipe Note: This is the bare bones recipe. Add your favorite mix ins! My favorite is pecans, dates, and a pinch of nutmeg!

Ingredients:

You will need:
1 cup steel cut oats
1 3/4 cups fat free milk
2 tablespoons brown sugar
4 ounces all-natural applesauce
1 teaspoon cinnamon
a pinch of salt

Directions:

In a nonmetal bowl combine oats, brown sugar, applesauce, cinnamon and salt. Stir in milk; cover and chill for 8 to 24 hours.

To serve, transfer oatmeal mixture to a medium saucepan. Heat just to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until oatmeal is done, adding additional milk if desired and stirring occasionally.

Remove from heat. Add your favorite mix-ins. Spoon into 2 bowls. Serve with additional milk, if desired.

Adapted from: Good Life Eats

mima1349635768.4914349 PostsRegistered 10/19/2004KS
On 10/7/2012 Zhills Gem said:

Overnight Steel Cut Oats

Yield:

3-4 servings

Recipe Note: This is the bare bones recipe. Add your favorite mix ins! My favorite is pecans, dates, and a pinch of nutmeg!

Ingredients:

You will need:
1 cup steel cut oats
1 3/4 cups fat free milk
1 teaspoon cinnamon
a pinch of salt

Directions:

In a nonmetal bowl combine oats, brown sugar, applesauce, cinnamon and salt. Stir in milk; cover and chill for 8 to 24 hours.

To serve, transfer oatmeal mixture to a medium saucepan. Heat just to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until oatmeal is done, adding additional milk if desired and stirring occasionally.

Remove from heat. Add your favorite mix-ins. Spoon into 2 bowls. Serve with additional milk, if desired.

I like the idea of only cooking for 5 min. in the morning. I'm sure almond milk would work instead of the milk.

I might try this way next.

The crockpot is another good idea.

Thanks all!

Mima

Baxjaxmom1349636671.942507 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 10/7/2012 little boobala said:

I don't like oatmeal , I found a receipe for people that don't like oatmeal. I bought the steel cut oatmeal. I have tried the cholestrol lowering meds. they give me indigestion. So I thought I would buck up and try the oatmeal thing. I made this and have just ate out of it all week. It is VERY filling. You might want to try it. I have never seen steel cut until opened the container, quite different. Very nutty,and texture also crunchy not creamy. Which I like. I put carrots and pecans, apples and banana in mini chopper. Im a lazy cook. It didn't call for the pecans but i am a nut lover, so I probably put 1/4 cup or less in. I did cheat and put about 2 Tbsp. brown sugar in. I really don't follow directions , I do what I want, put in what you like.

Carrot Cake Oatmeal Pudding

1/4 cup Oatmeal, 1/2 banana, 1 small carrot grated, 1 Tbsp. raisins, 3/4 to 1 cup water, 1 cut up apple, pecans,, optional, pinch of salt, 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice. Cook on low to med. heat 30 minutes stirring occassionaly.

Icing

1 oz. cream cheese, 1/2 tsp. honey , 1/4 tsp vanilla Put a dollop on cake piece.

I think this is a good receipe if you are watching wheat intake, and no eggs.

Your recipe is very interesting. I have a few questions.

1. Since it states "stirring occasionally", am I correct in assuming this is cooked on top of the stove rather than in a slow cooker. I further assume that it is not literally a "cake", right?

2. How many servings does this make?

3. You referenced putting the "Icing" on a "cake piece". Is this because of the texture that is can be dished up like a piece of cake?

4. Does this make enough to refrigerate and scoop out a serving at a time and heat up, as I further assume it would be served warm?

Forgive me if these questions sound ignorant but I'm trying to get the visual of this recipe when fully cooked and it prompted these questions.

I love steel cut oats. I also love carrot cake, so want to try this for some variety. Thanks in advance for your clarifications.

Last edited on 10/7/2012

Last edited on 10/7/2012

Vivian1349637206.3633272 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Steel cut oats are the only hot cereal I like. I use one cup cereal, one cup milk, plus 2 cups water and cinnamon. I sweeten and salt to taste and add raisins. The cereal tastes better the next day after the liquid is fully absorbed. It shouldn't be crunchy but should have a nutty flavor.

Kathleen1349637332.0412767 PostsRegistered 8/7/2006East Side, West Side, All Around The Town ... London Bridge is Falling Down

That's the kind I buy - I never thought of them as chewy. I like the consistency.

Orchids4me1349638225.7831154 PostsRegistered 2/5/2008VA and CA

If you want something quick when you don't want to cook the oatmeal, Trader Joe's has a frozen two individual serving box. It really comes in handy when in a hurry but want the steel cut oatmeal for one. You put it in a bowl, microwave for two minutes, stir/chop and microwave for one more minute. It does have a little salt and sugar in it and tastes fine by itself but I add a little brown sugar, dried cranberries and sometimes a few nuts.

di-mc1349638334.9377296 PostsRegistered 12/4/2006the real world

I love steel cut oatmeal, because it is so chewy! I rarely cook it though because it takes forever.

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

mima1349641805.2714349 PostsRegistered 10/19/2004KS
On 10/7/2012 di-mc said:

I love steel cut oatmeal, because it is so chewy! I rarely cook it though because it takes forever.

Read post 7.

Mima

mima1349641871.214349 PostsRegistered 10/19/2004KS

By the way, I think my grammar is wrong. It should have been "are steel cut oats suppose to be chewy" I think.

Mima

Rocker1349642036.051699 PostsRegistered 5/3/2007Nashville, TN

I will try some of these idea. Just bought my first container. Read you have to wait !! and I use Quaker Instant!! I do love my oatmeal though. With butter, & David's favorite - bacon!!

Zhills1349642097.8271271 PostsRegistered 11/15/2011

Isn't it uplifting to know that those on the RS who may have noticed, understood! Some of the boards are not so kind. This is an interesting thread. Glad you started it. Thanks!

mima1349642404.7614349 PostsRegistered 10/19/2004KS

Isn't it uplifting to know that those on the RS who may have noticed, understood! Some of the boards are not so kind. This is an interesting thread. Glad you started it. Thanks!

Thanks for the kind words. I guess I wanted to say something before someone else did. LOL

Mima

oceantown1349642516.228558 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

These are the instructions I follow:

How to Precook Steel Cut Oats

Cook 4 servings and just warm it up in the microwave when needed.

1. Put 4 cups of water in a large stock pot (otherwise it will boil over). Bring to a boil and get ready to slowly pour in the steel cut oats.

2. Measure exactly one cup of steel cut oats by using the straight side of a knife to level the measuring cup. Slowly stir the oats into the boiling water. Turn the heat down just a little bit and boil the oats (uncovered) for about 5 minutes or until oats start to thicken.

3. Reduce the heat to Low, cover with a lid, and let it simmer for about 30 minutes. Stir well about every 10 minutes to make sure oats are cooking evenly and not sticking to bottom of pan. I use a spatula to stir, scraping across the bottom of the pan.

4. Divide into 4 servings (about 1 cup each). Refrigerate or freeze extra servings. I use 8 oz ramekins for the extra servings and refrigerate. If I want to store in freezer for longer storage, I scoop out the cold oats (when cold they are solid) and place in zip lock freezer bags.

To reheat 1 serving of refrigerated oats, put in bowl and microwave for 2 minutes, stir and add 1/3 cup water, OR 1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk and heat for 2 more minutes.

To reheat frozen oats, put in bowl and microwave for 3 minutes… continue with above instructions.

I like to serve with 2 Tablespoons ground flax seed meal and 2 Tablespoons chopped walnuts or sliced almonds. Sometimes a sprinkle of cinnamon and some stevia.

grams21349643229.127122 PostsRegistered 8/7/2006

I love steel cut oatmeal. I have diabetes and it is the only thing I can eat in the morning - other than eggs - that won't run my sugar up. I cook mine in the pressure cooker for 5 min. on high then release the pressure as soon as it beeps. Here's my recipe that I have shared with a lot of friends and they love it too.

4 cups water

1 cup oats

1 T. butter

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. vanilla

1/2 tsp. cinnamon ( I use 1 to 1 1/2 tsp. because cinnamon is good for diabetics)

Cook in pressure cooker on high for 5 min. Release pressure when it beeps. I put in a square Corning Wear dish and each morning I eat a quarter of it. I just cut into 4 sections and that equals 1 cup servings. I put it in the microwave for 1 1/2 min and then I add a few walnuts and some kind of fruit (blueberries, strawberries, diced apples etc). I also add Agava or some type of sweetner. It's delicious!

depglass1349643581.123723 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

I gave up on them. It bothered me to cook something for a half hour for just one serving for me. Then I tried cooking up several days' worth and refrigerating them. They didn't seem fresh, so I just quit and went back to cold cereal.

nomless1349643689.9034389 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I cook on the stove, about 15-20 minutes. I wouldn't describe the texture as chewy, but steel cut is not as soft as rolled oats. Steel cut has more body.

Last edited on 10/7/2012

Last edited on 10/7/2012

Lynneuk1349645992.1938193 PostsRegistered 11/3/2006

Here is the recipe to cook them overnight in a small slow cooker.

2 cups water

1 cup milk

1/2 cup steel cut oats

Pinch of salt

I put them on the warm setting about 11pm and I come down at 7am and they are perfect. Don't put them on a higher setting, they will dry out and stick like glue to the slow cooker,lol!

I add some cinnamon and raisins and then in my bowl I add a squirt of agave to sweeten.

The small slow cookers are very cheap. Maybe $7.99 at Target or Walmart. If you like to eat SC Oats then it is a great investment.

Vamp1349650770.76711234 PostsRegistered 3/9/2007

Overnight Steel Cut Oats

Yield:

3-4 servings

Ingredients:

You will need:
1 cup steel cut oats
1 3/4 cups fat free milk
1 teaspoon cinnamon
a pinch of salt

Directions:

I have not had good luck making steel cut oats in a crock pot. If anyone has any tips, I'm all ears!

I make them using the overnight method similar to the recipe above. However, I am going to give your recipe a try, Zhills Gem--thanks for posting!

little boo­bala1349657898.257304 PostsRegistered 1/18/2009

Hi Baxjaxmom,

1. Yes , I cooked mine on the stove top. No it is not a cake .

2. I put it in 8x8 dish. So I just spoon out what I want. Remember it is filling.

3. Yes. I would say its is more dense brownie like . It is solid enough to spoon out with a spoon.

4. Yes thats what i do. I just heat it in the microwave 30 sec.

Don't worry it is hard to visualize. It does look different. I hope you enjoy it. I haven't ate oatmal in at least 50 yrs. I hate the stuff. I always had the 1 minute kind. But this steel cut is nutty and crunchy. Kind of has me sold. ( But I love oatmeal cookies. ) LOL. I am already thinking of what else to put in it.

Cranberries, oranges. Maybe cook it in orange juice, instead of water.

Put fruit on top after warming.

I don't know what do you think ?

Page 1 of 2