Just-Reduced Clearance
124 Members and 16429 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Companies that use GMO foods...

Started 1349243633.61 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1351296088.767 by shoekitty

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2
katkitty1349299299.724739 PostsRegistered 12/12/2007

Here's a more comprehensive list, but by all means, not a complete list

http://shiftfrequency.com/comprehensive-list-of-gmo-products/#more-15820

goldenretr­iever1349299444.736010 PostsRegistered 10/21/2006At the lake...in the water...chasing birds...

Thanks for the info. The ONLY brand I buy on the comprehensive list is Best Foods....guess I'll be looking for another mayo brand. {#emotions_dlg.glare}

Last edited on 10/3/2012

Last edited on 10/3/2012

Lakeside, with a KONG toy in my mouth.

carrob1349299597.181824 PostsRegistered 10/6/2010 FL

Eye opening isn't it? There are so many out there that have no idea about gmo's, the word is spreading, thanks for posting.

forrestwolf1349300081.176265 PostsRegistered 6/20/2010Deep in South Georgia

So.............What do I eat............{#emotions_dlg.confused1} Glad to see my Blue Plate Mayo did not make the list.........I do not think...........{#emotions_dlg.crying}

"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack"
1895 Rudyard Kipling
EDUCATE........NOT ERADICATE

kittyfan1349300293.296089 PostsRegistered 11/6/2008Central Tx

Oh my that was extensive--but I'm sure not complete. Thanks for the eye opening information.

carrob1349300381.7431824 PostsRegistered 10/6/2010 FL

Eat foods with little or no ingredient lists.

willdob31349300629.910816 PostsRegistered 10/31/2010

Easy for me! I do not buy anything from any of those brands already!

Reading the list (it looks like all processed food) it looks like whole unprocessed foods and, with few exceptions, no grains is the healthy choice. That is how I eat.

goldenretr­iever1349301037.2836010 PostsRegistered 10/21/2006At the lake...in the water...chasing birds...
On 10/3/2012 forrestwolf said:

So.............What do I eat............{#emotions_dlg.confused1} Glad to see my Blue Plate Mayo did not make the list.........I do not think...........{#emotions_dlg.crying}

Avoid processed foods....buy organic if possible....make your own meals.

katkitty1349301566.3534739 PostsRegistered 12/12/2007
On 10/3/2012 goldenretriever said:

"Genetically engineered wheat contains an enzyme suppressor that, when consumed by humans, could cause permanent liver failure (and death). That’s the warning issued today by molecular biologist Jack Heinemann of the University of Canterbury in Australia.

Heinemann has published an eye-opening report that details this warning and calls for rigorous scientific testing on animals before this crop is ever consumed by humans. The enzyme suppressor in the wheat, he says, might also attack a human enzyme that produces glycogen. Consumers who eat genetically modified wheat would end up contaminating their bodies with this enzyme-destroying wheat, causing their own livers to be unable to produce glycogen, a hormone molecule that helps the body regulate blood sugar metabolism. This, in turn, would lead to liver failure.

“What we found is that the molecules created in this wheat, intended to silence wheat genes, can match human genes, and through ingestion, these molecules can enter human beings and potentially silence our genes,” said Heinemann in a press conference on the threat of GM wheat.

“We found over 770 pages of potential matches between these two genes in wheat and the human genome,” he continued. “We found over a dozen matches that are extensive and identical, and sufficient to cause silencing in experimental systems. The findings are absolutely assured. There’s no doubt that these matches exist. …from this information, we know that it’s plausible there will be an adverse effect and therefore that’s why we’re calling for a particular battery of experiments to be done before humans eat this wheat.”

Oops, another gmo that is in the food chain already.

Last edited on 10/3/2012

Last edited on 10/3/2012

sassynoodl­ehair1349301678.357156 PostsRegistered 6/14/2011

Many people truly don't realize this country would starve itself out without companies like Monsanto...I agree in thinking organic is better, but I don't think you should automatically never eat foods again associated with GMO's. The time, research, findings, and all that goes into updating and honestly bettering our food products is for the greater good of all, not just the company.

Genetic modifying has been around forever - it's not a new thing. Now there is just more precise ways, more technological ways, to go about it. I believe sooner rather than later, GM will start being able to increase nutritional value of foods, learn ways to grow crops in places that have typically been unable too, and help everyone.

I just wish people would realize all the facts, GOOD and BAD, before thinking they're too good for Aunt Jemima syrup on their pancakes.

katkitty1349302053.2474739 PostsRegistered 12/12/2007

This is also interesting :

All Wheat – Even Whole-Grain and Organic – Now Contains An "Opiate" Which Causes Obesity

This wheat has many new features nobody told you about, such as there’s a new protein in this thing called gliadin. It’s not gluten. I’m not addressing people with gluten sensitivities and celiac disease. I’m talking about everybody else because everybody else is susceptible to the gliadin protein that is an opiate. This thing binds into the opiate
receptors in your brain and in most people stimulates appetite, such that we consume as many as 440 more calories per day, 365 days per year.

Doctor Advises We Avoid All Food Which Has Been Changed by Agribusiness
Cardiologist William Davis tells CBS News that modern wheat is nothing like our grandparents ate.

It’s an 18-inch tall plant created by genetic research in the ’60s and ’70s. Davis is not talking about genetically engineered foods, which are drawing criticism in their own right (for good reason).
The modern type of wheat Davis is warning against was created by crude methods which pre-date genetic engineering.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505269_162-57505149/modern-wheat-a-perfect-chronic-poison-doctor-says/

Last edited on 10/3/2012

Last edited on 10/3/2012

katkitty1349303891.5234739 PostsRegistered 12/12/2007
On 10/3/2012 sassynoodlehair said:

Many people truly don't realize this country would starve itself out without companies like Monsanto...I agree in thinking organic is better, but I don't think you should automatically never eat foods again associated with GMO's. The time, research, findings, and all that goes into updating and honestly bettering our food products is for the greater good of all, not just the company.

Genetic modifying has been around forever - it's not a new thing. Now there is just more precise ways, more technological ways, to go about it. I believe sooner rather than later, GM will start being able to increase nutritional value of foods, learn ways to grow crops in places that have typically been unable too, and help everyone.

I just wish people would realize all the facts, GOOD and BAD, before thinking they're too good for Aunt Jemima syrup on their pancakes.

I respectfully disagree. Monsanto is the only one that say's their products are safe. Now, new studies by others are confirming that they are not safe for human consumption. France is now doing their own gmo safety testing and Russia is also.

Many 3rd world countries have turned these gmo crops/grains away already and will not let them in to contaminate the natural crops there. {which they do cross pollinate and then they [the natural crops] are sterile also].
Europe has laws that they must be labeled gmo. Here, they are just integrated in many foods, processed foods and things like flours, cornmeals [corn products] etc.

This isn't about feeding the world. It's about owning the food supply thru patents on altered basic food staples/grains/sugar [beets]/fruits/veggies.

Round-up in a human gut destroys natural immunity. And it does show up in humans when gmo is eaten, unlike what Monsanto has assured. Why they just admitted that their 'drought tolerant corn' is not drought tolerant at all and needs the same amount of h20 as normal corn to survive. Mixing Roundup with growing plants, they have also created super bugs that are tolerant to Roundup.

The major lobbyist for Monsanto was just hired to advise & counsel the f d a on how great their stuff is. lol.

gmo lab results that differ from Monsanto's fox in the henhouse results:

http://www.naturalnews.com/037249_GMO_study_cancer_tumors_organ_damage.html

http://www.naturalnews.com/037394_Monsanto_Roundup_cancer_study.html

http://www.naturalnews.com/035745_GMO_rice_human_genes_Kansas.html

Lot's of info on gmo'd foods everywhere, not just that site. No one is pushing the panic button, it has already been proven very unhealthy by qualified sources other than the manufacturer.

Last edited on 10/3/2012

Last edited on 10/3/2012

willdob31349304122.0510816 PostsRegistered 10/31/2010

Good post, katkitty.

goldenretr­iever1349405028.4836010 PostsRegistered 10/21/2006At the lake...in the water...chasing birds...

Monsanto is evil...that's all...pure & simple.

FunkyHulaG­irl1349462611.4177049 PostsRegistered 6/25/2011Wherever I go, there I am!

Sassy, I believe you're thinking about cross-breeding and hybredization, which has been around for quite a while.

In GMO foods they actually alter the DNA that God created the food to have, either by incorporating genes from other organisms (other plants, animals, insects, and there's even been some work done with incorporating human genes) or by rearranging the genes that are already present, resulting in changes not found in the original organism.

A large number of studies and incidents have implicated GM foods in a wide variety of health problems, including accelerated aging, immune dysfunction, insulin disorders, organ damage and reproductive disruption.

For example, female rats fed a diet of GM soy experienced a drastically higher infant death rate, and their surviving infants were smaller and less fertile than the offspring of rats fed on a non-GM soy diet. Male rats fed the GM soy had their testicles change from pink to blue, and the GM soy was also observed to damage the DNA of sperm and embryos. Fertility problems such as abortion, infertility, premature delivery, prolapsed uteri, infant death, and even delivery of unformed infants (bags of water) have been observed in farm animals fed GM cottonseed and corn.

Animals consuming crops that have been genetically modified to produce the pesticide Bt (approved for human consumption in the United States) have died by the thousands, while animals grazing on a non-GM version of the same crops remained unharmed. Upon autopsies, researchers have found black patches in the animals' livers and intestines, internal bleeding and other signs of Bt poisoning. Farm workers in India have begun developing allergic reactions upon handling Bt corn, similar to the effects experienced by people exposed to Bt spraying.

In addition to these risks, GM soy and corn contain significantly higher concentrations of allergens than unmodified varieties. Evidence also suggests that the genetic abnormalities of GM foods may transfer to bacteria in the human gut, thereby exposing people to their detrimental effects long after a food has been consumed.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

SiameezeLo­ver!1349477928.4531848 PostsRegistered 5/5/2006Green Mountains :)

I think all the GMO foods is how I ended up with multiple food allergies. So now I try to eat only real food and none of the packaged stuff because of all my allergies. It really is a mixed blessing - plus not so expensive...

FunkyHulaG­irl1349489648.5737049 PostsRegistered 6/25/2011Wherever I go, there I am!
On 10/5/2012 SiameezeLover! said:

I think all the GMO foods is how I ended up with multiple food allergies. So now I try to eat only real food and none of the packaged stuff because of all my allergies. It really is a mixed blessing - plus not so expensive...

You know, you're probably right. We've never seen as many people with food allergies as we have since they started putting that GMO junk on the market.

Other countries require that GMOs be labeled as such; thanks to the lobbyists in the US, we have no such law, so you never know what you're eating. {#emotions_dlg.angry}

katkitty1349529581.964739 PostsRegistered 12/12/2007

concerning gmo corn:

http://www.biotech-info.net/conception.html

adding this link:

http://www.truthistreason.net/children-of-the-corn-gmo-sterility-and-spermicides

Last edited on 10/6/2012

Last edited on 10/6/2012

Snowpuppy1349533429.1436684 PostsRegistered 12/2/2005Up North, MI
On 10/3/2012 goldenretriever said:

forrestwolf, this is awesome advice!

Oatmeal or grits for breakfast. Organic eggs are always a favorite for me. Make your own pancake/waffle/Bisquick mix to keep on a shelf. Ina Garten makes her own mayo on many of her shows. Simple and you throw it in a blender. Then you know what you're eating.

There are plenty of farmers where I live who are kicking up a fuss about GMO seeds. That's enough research for me. I trust a farmer more than a scientist.

SiameezeLo­ver!1349548431.561848 PostsRegistered 5/5/2006Green Mountains :)

Its not just Monsanto but DuPont and others - here is a listing -

The World's Top 10 Seed Companies

Company - 2007 seed sales (US$ millions) - % of global proprietary seed market

1.Monsanto (US) - $4,964m - 23%
2.DuPont (US) - $3,300m - 15%
3.Syngenta (Switzerland) - $2,018m - 9%
4.Groupe Limagrain (France) - $1,226m - 6%
5.Land O' Lakes (US) - $917m - 4%
6.KWS AG (Germany) - $702m - 3%
7.Bayer Crop Science (Germany) - $524m - 2%
8.Sakata (Japan) - $396m - <2%
9.DLF-Trifolium (Denmark) - $391m - <2%
10.Takii (Japan) - $347m - <2%
Top 10 Total - $14,785m - 67% [of global proprietary seed market]
Source: ETC Group

http://www.gmwatch.org/gm-firms/10558-the-worlds-top-ten-seed-companies-who-owns-nature

SiameezeLo­ver!1349548646.0271848 PostsRegistered 5/5/2006Green Mountains :)

So when we say Monsanto is evil - that is correct - however there are other companies equally evil - such as DuPont - Pioneer Seeds for one - This video is about Pioneer Hybrid - A DuPont Company lobbying against Proposition 37 - labeling of GMO foods

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgV3zZrOTz4

Blondelle1349549891.0234268 PostsRegistered 8/4/2007

The problem is there's no government control any more. It all about greed with companies that are supposed to be protecting us being bought off by special interest groups. I wish one of the candidates would have taken a stand on GMO foods. It doesn't really matter which of them wins anyway as they are just figureheads controlled by groups that hold the real power in this country. I have no idea why these GMO foods were alowed on the market before safety studies were completed. I wonder who, and how much Monsanto paid off to market these seeds. The farmers that refuse to use them are pressured and put out of business by Monsanto. There was a free movie called I think "Food" documenting what Monsanto did to farmers who wouldn't buy their seeds.

We need someone in charge who refuses to be bullied by these companies, and tell the Monsantos of the world "No, you can't sell these types of seed, and tell the food companies "No, you can't sell food with components grown from these seeds". I don't know where the media is on reporting the horror of these GMO crops. Guess they are being muzzled too. How sad for all of us!

Last edited on 10/7/2012

Last edited on 10/7/2012

Snowpuppy1349560094.456684 PostsRegistered 12/2/2005Up North, MI

I often said the power is in your wallet. Shut it and see what happens.

Interesting business story about Kellogg's of Battle Creek a few months ago. Those that be decided to arbitrarily raise prices on products across the board by 8% last summer. No reason other than more corporate profitability.

The consumer.....The American Housewife with all her power.......decided to cut back on kellogg's purchases. By 10%.

Costing Kellogg's more than they bargained for. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Blondelle1349612638.3974268 PostsRegistered 8/4/2007

Genetic modifying has been around forever - it's not a new thing. Now there is just more precise ways, more technological ways, to go about it.

What has been around forever is selective breeding. It's different than genetic modification. Selective breeding takes plants with desirable traits and breeds them with other plants that offer these traits to make them dominant in that plant. It's quite different than inserting genes to make a plant be able to withstand an assault of chemical poisons such as Monsanto's Round Up. You are creating a franken food by doing so, and something our bodies weren't designed to process.

katkitty1349704085.0074739 PostsRegistered 12/12/2007
On 10/7/2012 Blondelle said:

Genetic modifying has been around forever - it's not a new thing. Now there is just more precise ways, more technological ways, to go about it.

What has been around forever is selective breeding. It's different than genetic modification. Selective breeding takes plants with desirable traits and breeds them with other plants that offer these traits to make them dominant in that plant. It's quite different than inserting genes to make a plant be able to withstand an assault of chemical poisons such as Monsanto's Round Up. You are creating a franken food by doing so, and something our bodies weren't designed to process.

Yes, way beyond hybrid. The gmo plants themselves actually carry a component of Round-Up that destroys gut bacteria [among other things] in humans making them suseptible to diseases and more. It lessens & destroys natural immunity. It actually shows up in [specific] blood testing for it. Have some Round-up with your chips! It's good for you!

This is gene combining that is foreign to the plant and not just stopped with plant manipulations [inserting human genes, pesticides into plants, cows producing "human" breast milk, goats with spider dna inserted, etc] Monsanto's own in house cafeteria won't even serve the gmo garbage:

http://www.naturalnews.com/037466_GM_food_global_elite_organic_gardens.html#ixzz28hd32Kfw

Forces more use of [harsher] pesticides because plant disease and bugs become resistant to gmo plants [exact opposite of what M states ther gmo will do]

http://www.nationofchange.org/new-study-confirms-gmo-crops-causing-more-pesticide-use-superweeds-1349529031

mmmmm, unknown, unlisted content [pharmaceuticals] in your cereal anyone? Because they will go forward and do this without your knowledge.

http://naturalsociety.com/biofarms-vaccines-pharmaceuticals-gmo-biopharmaceutical-crops/

I also realize that most Americans either:

1. don't know about gmo & what is & has been going on and

2. don't care even if they do know

Last edited on 10/8/2012

Last edited on 10/8/2012

Page 1 of 2