TSV(R) Preview
91 Members and 9765 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Jamie Deen's "cooking" show--all Jack all the time!

Started 1345300259.24 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1345427113.54 by grits3

I'm sitting here on hold, reading the QVC boards and too lazy to turn the channel away from Jamie Deen's show. It seems every other word out of his mouth is "Jack." Does he talk Jack with every breath on these shows? I saw part of the first one and haven't watched since. Just seems like it is all talking about and showing pictures of his kids. Do people really want to see that???

Just a Saturday morning observation here. STILL on hold!

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next
momma3gs1345302978.227477 PostsRegistered 3/26/2010

Can't stand him or his mother. Neither one of them are "chefs" ... they cook, that's all. So many of Paula's recipes contain processed foods, i.e., packages of pudding in her cakes. I loved what Anthony Bourdain said about her. She's a sham and has been exposed. I watched Jamie's show once, out of curiousity. And I completely agree with you ... like he's the only one who's ever had a child and we're all just dying to hear the lastest.

rosehill1345303284.273366 PostsRegistered 10/30/2007

No I don't think people want to see or hear that. You should leave a comment on the foodnetwork website. I have another pet peeve which is associated with foodnetwork shows. One is how the foodnetwork seems to be more interested in showcasing a cook's cleavage rather than the food they are cooking. Take notice of all the young attractive hosts, and how they make them dress. I believe they do this to draw the male audience in. I much prefer Ina Garden-- she dresses professionally and neatly. Granted, she is overweight, but she is just so much more professional. Gina DeLaurentis pretty much makes me sick-she is such a phoney. I'm not a prude in any way about cleavage. There is just a time and place for everything.

Okay, I'm off my soapbox!

RedHeadedW­ench1345303538.689273 PostsRegistered 10/1/2006

I personally think that the Deen clan has run their course.....everywhere.

I'm tired of the over acted yaw'lls and constant stream of processed foods. Sure they have their place, but if you ever look at some of the recipes in their books..they are full of them.

Also, I noticed that the other day when QVC had a "southern cuisine" show...there was no Paula or her boys, and there was also someone else presenting Smithfield hams. Made me wonder if they ar still associated. I thought it was odd.

Be kind to dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with ketchup.
-------

Baxjaxmom1345304544.282508 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

I haven't watched his show and have no interest. His mother ruined all things "Deen" for me with her ostentatious and vulgar antics. He may be very good in his own right, but the over exposure of the Deen family is off-putting - just my personal reaction.

chickenbutt1345304836.62724237 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

He always kind of creeped me out but I would also get tired of hearing about his kid ad nauseam, when it's supposed to be a cooking show.

The good-looking son isn't bad. I think he also has a show on one of the cooking channels, only his is more about healthier choices. I say 'healthier' and not 'healthy' because IIRC it's about him making versions of his mother's recipes that are not as unhealthy.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

Islandgirl­70321345305260.23312846 PostsRegistered 6/7/2007Savannah, GA

Anthony Bourdain is a drug addict, goggle it.

Last edited on 8/18/2012

Lynneuk1345305658.2178256 PostsRegistered 11/3/2006

Paula Deen is a butter addict, google it.

Sooner1345306233.2415187 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

Just seems odd to me that they think people are so star struck by them that they want to see so much of their kids and grandkids. I would tune in to a cooking show, matter of fact watched Pauls making something just before that, but gee that was about all the guy talked about the whole show--and the film clip after film clip was just bizarre.

I'll add: I would L O V E to see a show about cooking, the area they live in and the foods. I think he is a good host for a food show if he would just get off the dime about his family. Why not have on chefs that are famous and make a famous dish? A show on greens, a show on seafood, etc. etc. Paula is great to watch when she's not so hyped up and showing off. Her first shows were just wonderful. I just think they are so star struck they'd be a welcome spot on tv is they could tone it down and get back to business.

Last edited on 8/18/2012

Last edited on 8/18/2012

Ginger lily1345306792.673499 PostsRegistered 4/9/2011 Las Vegas Baby

The Deen's are so fake and I for one can't stand to watch them and don't buy any of there stuff. Southern people don't act like them and this is all abig act so they can sell and like you said they are not chef's they just cook so why are they on tv and acting like there chefs if the truth be known The black people that have been with Paula for so long have made her rich and Famous because the can cook .

Ginger Lilly

momma3gs1345306970.927477 PostsRegistered 3/26/2010
On 8/18/2012 Lynneuk said:

Hahahahaha{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Sooner1345309089.45715187 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 8/18/2012 Ginger lily said:

The Deen's are so fake and I for one can't stand to watch them and don't buy any of there stuff. Southern people don't act like them and this is all abig act so they can sell and like you said they are not chef's they just cook so why are they on tv and acting like there chefs if the truth be known The black people that have been with Paula for so long have made her rich and Famous because the can cook .

Sorry but it wasn't Paula's cookin' that made her famous, no matter who was doing it. We used to eat there occasionally when traveling through Savannah way back before she was on tv or anybody knew who she was except locally.

It was a little diner, like a zillion other places in the south. Steam tables, fried chicken, greens, corn, green beans, cornbread, and stuff like that, and not all "home cooked from scratch" either. A big pan of cake or cobbler for dessert and tea and such. She got famous because of her lovely personality--the cute little lady she started out to be. Now she's often crude and overbearing, and not the person you used to want to have lunch with. She's never claimed to be a chef or a trained cook even. And she's never bragged about her techniques either.

Just Plain­ Crazy1345310470.7475274 PostsRegistered 7/22/2009

Many of them "show off" their families and friends. Ina has her hubby and friends on all the time and the Pioneer Woman always has her hubby and kids on several times in her shows. This is just the ones that come to mind at this time.

JPC

hyacinth0031345310814.4576648 PostsRegistered 11/8/2005

I think those of us who have children (or grandchildren) have to realize not everyone else is charmed by your kids!

They may be the most important people in YOUR life, but they certainly aren't in other people's.

I think the concept of their show is a good one - lower calorie/fat versions of Paula's.

Hyacinth

Last edited on 8/18/2012

Last edited on 8/18/2012

brii1345310831.4424317 PostsRegistered 7/14/2008

I'm not a fan of the Deen boys. They are on TV just way too much.

GaGa19601345312344.59380 PostsRegistered 5/27/2012
On 8/18/2012 chickenbutt said:

He always kind of creeped me out but I would also get tired of hearing about his kid ad nauseam, when it's supposed to be a cooking show.

The good-looking son isn't bad. I think he also has a show on one of the cooking channels, only his is more about healthier choices. I say 'healthier' and not 'healthy' because IIRC it's about him making versions of his mother's recipes that are not as unhealthy.

Bobby's show is on the cooking channel "Not my mamas meals" he does make some good looking stuff on there.

Islandgirl­70321345312625.76712846 PostsRegistered 6/7/2007Savannah, GA

That's better than a cocaine addiction IMO.

rondell1345314959.10713373 PostsRegistered 12/17/2009USA
On 8/18/2012 Islandgirl7032 said:

That's better than a cocaine addiction IMO.

ITA, Islandgirl. It's a much better choice. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

marytoodles1345315519.193268 PostsRegistered 10/19/2004New Orleans, LA Hollywood South

She has lost 30 pounds recently, so, good for her!

(I'm into the thick accents for any host that includes fake New Orleans accents as well)...

Bourdain (he tries too hard to be cool) and Deen can be equally annoying in their own ways IMO....

Last edited on 8/18/2012

Last edited on 8/18/2012

In New Orleans you could almost see other dimensions. There's only one day at a time here, then it's tonight and then tomorrow will be today again. Chronic melancholia hanging from the trees. You never get tired of it. Bob Dylan

Islandgirl­70321345315700.98312846 PostsRegistered 6/7/2007Savannah, GA
On 8/18/2012 marytoodles said:

She has lost 30 pounds recently, so, good for her!

(I'm into the thick accents for any host that includes fake New Orleans accents as well)...

Last edited on 8/18/2012

She has! And she looks great!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

(Love your Dylan siggy BTW!)

Chicagoan1345316132.8872681 PostsRegistered 6/11/2008CHICAGOLAND
On 8/18/2012 Just Plain Crazy said:

Many of them "show off" their families and friends. Ina has her hubby and friends on all the time and the Pioneer Woman always has her hubby and kids on several times in her shows. This is just the ones that come to mind at this time.

JPC

JPC... and you know I like to show off my grandbabies....lol

Robin ....

Midlife is the time we begin “to listen with our ♥ heart.”

CSH1345316517.722334 PostsRegistered 12/5/2009NW PA

You know what?

You may be sick of Paula and her boys but she came from nothing and worked hard to get to where she is. If it were me, I'd take as much as I could get before the bottom fell out...

NONE of them EVER presented themselves as chefs...EVER!

Neither are Melissa D'Arabian, Ina Garten, Alton Brown or Rachael Ray.

Lighten up or click the channel!

Play is children's work!

momma3gs1345317722.153477 PostsRegistered 3/26/2010
On 8/18/2012 CSH said:

You know what?

You may be sick of Paula and her boys but she came from nothing and worked hard to get to where she is. If it were me, I'd take as much as I could get before the bottom fell out...

NONE of them EVER presented themselves as chefs...EVER!

Neither are Melissa D'Arabian, Ina Garten, Alton Brown or Rachael Ray.

Lighten up or click the channel!

{#emotions_dlg.confused1} uh ... ok, jamie. No offense meant to your mama.

marytoodles1345317862.95268 PostsRegistered 10/19/2004New Orleans, LA Hollywood South

Thanks Islandgirl7032{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

I like your positive comments!

In New Orleans you could almost see other dimensions. There's only one day at a time here, then it's tonight and then tomorrow will be today again. Chronic melancholia hanging from the trees. You never get tired of it. Bob Dylan

Closer11345317864.587885 PostsRegistered 6/29/2007
On 8/18/2012 RedHeadedWench said:

I'm tired of the over acted yaw'lls and constant stream of processed foods. Sure they have their place, but if you ever look at some of the recipes in their books..they are full of them.

Also, I noticed that the other day when QVC had a "southern cuisine" show...there was no Paula or her boys, and there was also someone else presenting Smithfield hams. Made me wonder if they ar still associated. I thought it was odd.

I used to be a big Deen family fan. Unfortunately, the law suit they are now facing has taken the shine off the apple, so to speak. They lost a number of fans who chose to believe the allegations lodged by their restaurant's former general manager. I also think Paula was dealt an additional blow when it was disclosed that she is a Type II Diabetic who subsequently made a fortune promoting a diabetes drug. They have been slammed by tons of bad press. So, they may, in fact be on the way out.

RedHeadedW­ench1345318181.839273 PostsRegistered 10/1/2006
On 8/18/2012 Closer1 said:
On 8/18/2012 RedHeadedWench said:

I used to be a big Deen family fan. Unfortunately, the law suit they are now facing has taken the shine off the apple, so to speak. They lost a number of fans who chose to believe the allegations lodged by their restaurant's former general manager. I also think Paula was dealt an additional blow when it was disclosed that she is a Type II Diabetic who subsequently made a fortune promoting a diabetes drug. They have been slammed by tons of bad press. So, they may, in fact be on the way out.

Hey...I was a huge fan too. I even went on the "Paula Deen Tour" in Savannah and ate at the Lady and Sons, but now, it's over IMHO.

I am tired of the drawl, that has only gotten thicker with time. Go look at some of her first shows...there is no drawl, perhaps a slight one. Her diabetes was a given, I think she had it for awhile, look at the way she ate. But yes, she has lost a lot of wwight, and good for her!

I do beleive that she has caught some flack about promoting for the drug company, and well, that comes with the territory. But I think the real problems lie in her restaurant businesses and the rumours and allegations of their employees.

Be kind to dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with ketchup.
-------

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 Next