Back-in-Stock Fashions
59 Members and 13091 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

VitaMix

Started 1340163394.52 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1340282129.71 by colliegirls

I purchased one a few weeks ago as the TSV and admittedly I've not used it that much. I need to start using it to justify the price we paid for it.

How have you used yours, and what's some of your favorite recipes? I would love to incorporate more veggies into a great tasting drink to help lose weight but I don't know which ones to use.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? Thanks all!

Page 1 of 1
JeanLouise­Finch1340180879.2811143 PostsRegistered 10/3/2011

I've had one for almost a year and I know we don't use it to it's full capabilities. We've made sorbets and an ice cream type thing, but mostly we make smoothies in our VitaMix. The unit came with a recipe book...several things in there sound good. Most of the time our smoothies will be any combination of fruit that sounds good, ice (if none of the fruit is frozen), maybe some greek yogurt or a scoop of whey powder. You can add a few baby carrots or a few fresh spinach leaves to a predmoninantly fruit smoothie and you won't even notice it, yet you still get the vitamins they offer.

I buy all of our fruit (fresh & frozen) at Costco; pineapple spears, mango slices, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, bananas. If you are using fresh and they're getting close to "turning", toss them in the freezer (everything except the pineapple) - they'll still work fine in your smoothies.

lacey11340219382.1772356 PostsRegistered 6/5/2009

Mama Deb, Don't feel bad about not using it much. I thinks it takes some thought and preparation to use it a lot. I use mine for smoothies 99% of the time. I have to make sure to buy the right fruits and veggies. When I get home from the store- 'prep' the produce. Wash it and get it ready to go. I freeze my bananas,(if they're ripe enough). Keep your vitamix on the counter,(out of sight-out of mind). Look over your cookbook and watch the demos. That inspires me. Don't be afraid to try something different. Check out the Vitamix pages on facebook, etc. Finally, if it's not for you-you'll sell it in a second on Craigslist!

shy bobcat1340219725.617238 PostsRegistered 10/2/2006

I have a new VitaMix and read that many of you are freezing your bananas. Do you freeze them with or without the peel?

Nightowlz1340220679.1679737 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 6/20/2012 shy bobcat said:

I have a new VitaMix and read that many of you are freezing your bananas. Do you freeze them with or without the peel?

I peel them & cut into pieces & freeze in baggies. I have also froze grapes & cuties. I have a freezer full of frozen strawberries, pineapple, raspberries, blueberries, bananas, peaches, mixed fruit etc.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” Will Rogers

50somethin­ggirl1340221255.427369 PostsRegistered 12/6/2007

I do a lot of vegan recipes and use it for sauces all of the time. Every morning I make my smoothie - 1 frozen banana, 1 peeled lime, kale and water, sometimes I add fresh ginger. I peel bananas, wrap in wax paper, place in a zip lock bag and freeze. I also make soup.

chickenbutt1340221571.2924331 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown
On 6/20/2012 shy bobcat said:

I also peel. The first time I froze a banana - OMG, I didn't know and tried to peel it frozen. That was virtually impossible.

What I do is peel and then cut the banana in 4 or 5 wheels. Lay them out in a Lock & Lock or something like that and freeze (so that they won't freeze back together). Then I take them and line them up like a whole banana again into a Foodsaver bag and vacuum seal. That way they stay pristine frozen.

I have to say, I didn't use my Vitamix all winter. yikes! I need to get back in the habit. I didn't get mine at QVC, though. I purchased it through the Vitamix website last year. Still love it, though.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

skyblue1340224032.3733248 PostsRegistered 10/19/2004
I use my VitaMix at least twice a day, EVERYDAY! LOVE it!

RocketMom1340224570.6032695 PostsRegistered 9/23/2007

In terms of what to add to drinks, smoothies, etc. just try different things, many you won't even notice. I buy and use mostly frozen fruit for smoothies, but use fresh bananas or anything else in the fruit bowl too. I have been known to add fresh spinach, celery, carrots, etc. to my kids' morning smoothies and they don't even notice. I usually have frozen mangoes, strawberries, pineapple, blueberries on hand and fresh bananas. I always use some type of fresh juice, usually orange too. I have also made pesto, which was great and some soups. The sorbets, ice creams and frozen yogurts have worked well too. I started with the recipes from the book and just tried changing them a little or a lot. Don't worry, your Vitamix is pretty forgiving. Have fun and good luck!

Mama Deb1340250255.4072206 PostsRegistered 9/26/2006

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I just feel we need to start eating more healthier and I know this could be the very tool that we need to help.

I have been watching lots of youtube videos about how to make different things today, and there are some really educational ones out there.

lacey11340276625.1972356 PostsRegistered 6/5/2009

Debi, Keep us posted on your progress with the Vitamix. I've been doing pretty good with my healthy smoothies. My husband really does not use it. He is lactose intolerant, so no milk, no yogurt. He doesn't like the soy and almond milks, so he thinks it's a Margarita machine! YouTube is great for ideas! Good Luck!

robomo1340278845.639442 PostsRegistered 3/15/2005

It is the ugliest blender on the plant. Why don't they make it more attractive for all that money? I have a nice heavy-duty blender that is basic and looks nice on the counter and it does everything that I need perfectly.

colliegirls1340282129.716613 PostsRegistered 5/13/2012

I cannot imagine paying that price for a blender.

Page 1 of 1