TSV(R) Preview
129 Members and 17952 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

NuWave PIC First Impressions

Started 1337024258.57 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1349251868.48 by 4uthebest

I just received the NuWave PIC and among my first impressions is the fact that it is a tad harder to use than some of the other "less capable" induction cooktops I have.

That being said, I compared my current Duxtop which is 1800 watts with the PIC regarding heating a quart of water at 80 +/- .5 degrees to boiling and although the 1800 watt unit was faster, it was not by much and certainly for the "huge" difference in power, I am impressed with the PIC as they have implemented well.

Without a doubt the instruction book is by far the best I have received with any of my induction cooktops and it even has several recipes which would be good to try the machines ability to adjust the temperature by five degrees.

Since I already have a significant amount of stainless steel conventional and non-stick induction capable cookware, I did not order it as the "free" quickly expanded to $70 when I chose that option before I deleted it.

Although I asked this question before regarding the evenness of heating, it appears to be the same as most of my other inductions.. Easiest way to determine the pattern is to put a large skillet //12" or so with about 1/2" of water in it and turn the unit on high or sear and very soon a small area of about 4-5" in diameter will be seen in the skillet where the water is being heated far more than the surrounding areas. Unless it is different at the lower temperatures, I really do not see a difference from other induction cooktops regarding the heating pattern.

Another rather significant difference from other cooktops I have had is that the PIC includes a true SEAR function that maxes out at 575 F. I have not tested this but I will compare it with the HIGH on my other induction and see if indeed there is a benefit here especially when grilling a steak.

Thats all for now..

Page 1 of 2
SunnyBeach1337027845.88334 PostsRegistered 2/2/2012

Hi

I'm looking forward to your update. I hope it's a good product. I just bought the 2 for 1 NuWave PIC special deal. It should be here tomorrow. BTW - I was told that due to the unexpected demand for the special the second PIC is on backorder and will therefore be shipped later.

nascar fan1337034000.551038 PostsRegistered 1/25/2005

SUNNYBEACH!!! please post when you receive yours!! i am so wanting to get this . i have went so far as almost completeing my order, then deleting, before i finally send it. i own the nuwave and the lil mini and i dont think a week goes by that i dont use each several times a week. i gave up a new piece of blink to get the lg one and figured it would join my graveyard of unused appliances!lol shocked both hubby& me on howmuch i actually use it! nascar fan

4uthebest1337034802.4033527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 5/14/2012 SunnyBeach said:

Hi

I'm looking forward to your update. I hope it's a good product. I just bought the 2 for 1 NuWave PIC special deal. It should be here tomorrow. BTW - I was told that due to the unexpected demand for the special the second PIC is on backorder and will therefore be shipped later.

Yes it is backordered as I got my one with a note saying so. They have a good tech/customer support as it took me less than 4 minutes to speak to someone today about my not getting my 2nd one and they are still promoting on the TV the 2 for 1.

4uthebest1337092951.3133527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009

I do not know how they measure/regulate the temperature settings as I cannot seem to come close to what the settings are for even after 20 minutes of heating.. For example setting temp to 190 it was unable to get the water any hotter than 156 after 20 minutes.. Setting temp to 210, it did not exceed 166. Right now I need to call their support # as these values are too far off for a 20 minute heating period.

In order to get water to boil which it did quickly I used SEAR but then setting to the 190 210 it rapidly dropped and did not exceed the above values when measured by a thermocouple (far more sensitive than a regular thermometer).

SunnyBeach1337093945.02334 PostsRegistered 2/2/2012

Hi 4uthebest

That doesnt sound good.

I was wondering does the Duxtop hold proper temperature? What temperature does the SEAR setting reach? Also, what type of cookware are you using to test? (full tri-ply, disk bottom, etc)

Thanks for posting your finding!

SunnyBeach

4uthebest1337095459.7573527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 5/15/2012 SunnyBeach said:

Hi 4uthebest

That doesnt sound good.

I was wondering does the Duxtop hold proper temperature? What temperature does the SEAR setting reach? Also, what type of cookware are you using to test? (full tri-ply, disk bottom, etc)

Thanks for posting your finding!

SunnyBeach

SunnyBeach,

Although I am still testing, I know that not one of the other induction cooktops I have had in the past 5 years really were able to meet and maintain a temperature in real life over their entire temp range so the PIC is not that different in that regard.

I use a variety of cookware, tri-ply, hard anodized with magnetic base, cast iron, QVC colored Jan TSV (I am impressed with this), WP and T-Fal Stainless Steel and SS Non-stick, Stainless Steel Greenpans and Enameled cast iron.

I imagine it is certainly BETTER to have the temperature be lower than the setting as it is not too hard to compensate by raising it (I just have not yet figured out by how much).

I will try frying eggs at 325-330 and see what that does as the Duxtop works fine with the TSV of January and to date I have made scores of over easy eggs without using any utensils or fats and that continually impresses me. I will let you know result of over easy egg test..

OK I just finished frying an over easy egg without problems with the pan/egg, yet the temperture that I had set for 330 varied quite a bit and the center of the pan was over 400.

In order to truely test the cooktop, I will need to try some recipes that are listed in the manual such as candies that are temperature sensitive and if it is wrong will cause you to change the candy itself into another form..

Last edited on 5/15/2012

Last edited on 5/15/2012

SunnyBeach1337104233.8134 PostsRegistered 2/2/2012

Thanks for the frequent updates.

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive today. Although I have never had an induction stove top before, I'm already feeling leery. I would think that big temperature difference should not ever occur. But I'll still try to stay more optimistic than pessimistic and wait and see how things test out.

4uthebest1337114805.8433527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 5/15/2012 SunnyBeach said:

Thanks for the frequent updates.

I'm still waiting for mine to arrive today. Although I have never had an induction stove top before, I'm already feeling leery. I would think that big temperature difference should not ever occur. But I'll still try to stay more optimistic than pessimistic and wait and see how things test out.

SunnyBeach, I called today with my concerns and they are shipping me out a new one with a return label... Re induction,,, I would not use (and I have not for 5 years) anything else for stovetop cooking.. nothing compares..

SunnyBeach1337181522.1834 PostsRegistered 2/2/2012

Hi 4uthebest

Update - Mine arrived late yesterday. I ended up calling NuWave this morning to have a replacement sent to me. The first problem I immediately noticed was that the PIC looked like it had been a return that was shipped back out. The insert with the information pamplets had clearly been torn open already and just taped back. Second, the top of the unit itself had smudges on it. Third, I tested the temperature inside a very good saucepan (All-Clad d5) to see if the temperature matched closely to the temperature setting and it was off.

So I'm thinking they just made a mistake and sent me a broken unit by mistake. They we very nice and are sending another one out today with a return label.

I really like the size and look of the unit so I am hoping I don't have any more problems. I also like how fast everything heats up - much faster than the glass top stove I have. The fan doesn't make alot of noise either which I read in reviews on other induction tops can be too loud and annoying.

Also - I asked about the backorder PIC and was told probably another week or two before they arrive. The customer service rep said it with hestitation so I would guess it may be longer.

Last edited on 5/16/2012

Last edited on 5/16/2012

4uthebest1337210193.293527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 5/16/2012 SunnyBeach said:

Hi 4uthebest

Update - Mine arrived late yesterday. I ended up calling NuWave this morning to have a replacement sent to me. The first problem I immediately noticed was that the PIC looked like it had been a return that was shipped back out. The insert with the information pamplets had clearly been torn open already and just taped back. Second, the top of the unit itself had smudges on it. Third, I tested the temperature inside a very good saucepan (All-Clad d5) to see if the temperature matched closely to the temperature setting and it was off.

So I'm thinking they just made a mistake and sent me a broken unit by mistake. They we very nice and are sending another one out today with a return label.

I really like the size and look of the unit so I am hoping I don't have any more problems. I also like how fast everything heats up - much faster than the glass top stove I have. The fan doesn't make alot of noise either which I read in reviews on other induction tops can be too loud and annoying.

Also - I asked about the backorder PIC and was told probably another week or two before they arrive. The customer service rep said it with hestitation so I would guess it may be longer.

Last edited on 5/16/2012

SunnyBeach,

Curious, were the instructions in pristine condition, other than being resealed with tape AND did you get the DVD with it and are you now watching it ? What temps did you test and how far off were they? Did you try heating water with the SEAR function as mine worked very well.

Induction is the most energy efficient cooking methodology today and its response to temperature changes, exceeds even gas.

Geniebeanie1337213001.943299 PostsRegistered 5/11/2010
I have had mine for two and a half years and love it. You do not even need instructions. Very easy to use and clean.

SunnyBeach1337218634.9334 PostsRegistered 2/2/2012

4uthebest,

I just checked the package and no DVD and no membership card. I didn't even notice until you mentioned it. Between the torn up plastic bag and the missing contents I'm pretty sure it is not a brand new unit.

I tested using a fry pan and the sauce pan. I tested water in the sauce pan and got around a 15 degree lower difference and the fry pan around 20 degree lower.

I did try the sear and it did heat fast but I did not measure the heat. (A friend brought their laser thermometer over last night to test it for me - mine broke recently).

I'm really looking forward to getting the NEW one(s). I can see myself barely ever using the regular stove top - especially since I live in South Florida. I look forward to less heat in the kitchen.

GenieBeanie,

I didn't know the PIC has been around so long. I thought it was only a few months old.

4uthebest1337233281.063527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 5/16/2012 SunnyBeach said:

4uthebest,

I just checked the package and no DVD and no membership card. I didn't even notice until you mentioned it. Between the torn up plastic bag and the missing contents I'm pretty sure it is not a brand new unit.

I tested using a fry pan and the sauce pan. I tested water in the sauce pan and got around a 15 degree lower difference and the fry pan around 20 degree lower.

I did try the sear and it did heat fast but I did not measure the heat. (A friend brought their laser thermometer over last night to test it for me - mine broke recently).

I'm really looking forward to getting the NEW one(s). I can see myself barely ever using the regular stove top - especially since I live in South Florida. I look forward to less heat in the kitchen.

GenieBeanie,

I didn't know the PIC has been around so long. I thought it was only a few months old.

SunnyBeach,,, 15-20 degrees difference is absolutely FABULOUS... I would be ecstatic with those numbers and that is so far above any induction I ever had it is not funny. As far as PIC they are relatively new BUT I have used other induction cooktops for about 5 years now.

SunnyBeach1337259509.38734 PostsRegistered 2/2/2012

4uthebest, I have alot to learn about induction cooktops. I automatically assumed the temperature inside the cookware should be very close (at least within 5 degrees) to the temperature setting. What is the temperature difference range you would think is very good - between 10-30 degrees below or above your setting?

Also my mistake, specifically I meant to say I thought the NuWave PIC was only a few months old not the technology itself.

4uthebest1337276889.7373527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 5/17/2012 SunnyBeach said:

4uthebest, I have alot to learn about induction cooktops. I automatically assumed the temperature inside the cookware should be very close (at least within 5 degrees) to the temperature setting. What is the temperature difference range you would think is very good - between 10-30 degrees below or above your setting?

Also my mistake, specifically I meant to say I thought the NuWave PIC was only a few months old not the technology itself.

SunnyBeach, I have had 4 different induction cooktops and although they have settings ranging from 140-460 I have yet to have one of them that cooks at the set temp and as a general rule they are 50-100 degrees off at most every setting...

I was told the heating pattern of the PIC is even within the entire red circle which is vastly different from any other induction cooktop I have used BUT in reality it seems to be the same as others,,, to see for yourself, heat a 12 inch skillet with about 1/4"-1/2" water in it at any temperature above 250 and you should see a pattern of bubbles arising in the center area of about 4-5" in diameter.

Please let me know if your bubbles arise evenly over the entire 10" diameter circle and then perhaps I have a bad unit which is now being replaced by NuWave for another problem.

Last edited on 5/17/2012

Last edited on 5/17/2012

4uthebest1337351211.3933527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009

SunnyBeach, If you can do the test with the skillet I mentioned please let us know how your PIC performed,,, i.e., central area with bubbles before periphery..or even heating the entire surface ?

Last edited on 5/18/2012

Last edited on 5/18/2012

SunnyBeach1337371393.84334 PostsRegistered 2/2/2012

4uthebest, I did a quick test with a 11 inch French skillet. I selected SEAR and my results were that the whole center approx 4" diameter started to bubble a lot. There was a gap of about 2 inches and a faint bubble ring on the outer 7-8 inch diameter. The outer circle bubble strength never changed beyond faint bubbles. It definitely did not bubble in a whole 8 inch diameter circle. I did not get bubbles out to 10 inches.

I don't know what to think about this. I did another test setting the PIC to 200 and the digital measurement I got was 180. So I guess that the "normal" range. Looks like you just have to get used to your unit and set the temperature accordingly.

I still like this device though!Smile

My new one is due to arrive tomorrow so I'll see what that turns out to be like.

Question - did you test what the SEAR temperature actually reaches? I don't have a way of testing that high.

4uthebest1337425646.1533527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009

SunnyBeach,

I measured 578F in about 6 minutes and perhaps it will go higher.

4uthebest1337452139.4873527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009

SunnyBeach,

PIC DVD arrived today and it is a simply excellent addition to this cooktop. Honestly I am very impressed with the documentation that accompanies this cooktop and the company support thus far has been excellent. Kudos to the NuWave folk.

The DVD mentioned such things as how long it would take the oil to heat up... what temp to set the PIC so that the yogurt is 110 when it is culturing,., etc etc...

4uthebest1337471161.713527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009

SunnyBeach,

Wow what a company.. I am impressed.. I just got a SATURDAY delivery of the replacement PIC they said they were sending.. Now to set it up and try it.

SunnyBeach1337809147.15734 PostsRegistered 2/2/2012

Hi 4uthebest,

I recieved my replacement Saturday but believe it or not, it had a white ringed blotche on the cooking surface. I tried to clean it off but I could still see a wierd outline of the spot so I decided not to keep it. I'm not sure how important it is that the cooking surface not have any blemishes/damage. Also, this second one did not include a DVD either.

So I decided to keep the first one because I really needed to use this device for a party I was giving. I also tested the temperature again and it seems to be consistent in the readings I get.

My conclusion is I REALLY like this PIC even though I have been having these problems. (I am troubled by the "used/refurbished" look of the shipments since I paid for "New") I'm still looking forward to getting the 2nd one on backorder (crossing my fingers). I see why many say induction is the way to go. I think the portablility, temperature settings, and the programmable timer makes this type unit (as opposed to the stationary oven stovetop) even better.

Also, I called and had them send me a DVD. They sent it out the same day. I'm looking forward to watching it.

4uthebest1337854628.7873527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009

Hi SunnyBeach,

Indeed it is a keeper and clearly the best of the induction tops I have used. The programability and the temperature settings that work rather well make this what it is. Although not as fast as boiling water as my others, it also is not 1800 watts so it actually shoots ahead here. I have yet to test the fondue or candy making ability of it as I did not purchase any more cookware since I have enough induction capable stuff to float a horse and I really would not be doing a fondue too much as I know of none that are "healthy" (Of course any that have healthy recipes I would be glad to look at).

Last edited on 5/24/2012

Last edited on 5/24/2012

Harvie1341807281.1235 PostsRegistered 7/8/2012

After using it almost 2 months, do you still feel that it is the best of the portable induction cooktops?

boby1341847195.9933099 PostsRegistered 2/10/2006Town of Ulster-suburb of Kingston, NY

Sunnybeach: A white ringed blotch probably means that the unit was used and something boiled over (used to happen to me from time to time when I had a black ceramic-top stove). They need to stop sending you returns.

I tried ordering the "two-fer" today on their website. S&H on the first package was $29.95. S&H on the "free package" was near $100. What that's all about? Maybe I'll go back and order just one, but I don't trust anyone that would charge me $100 for "free" merchandise, or more than triple the S&H for the exact same merchandise.

4uthebest1341933126.9233527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 7/8/2012 Harvie said:

After using it almost 2 months, do you still feel that it is the best of the portable induction cooktops?

Harvie, since 2007 I have exclusively used induction cooktops and by far the only home run has been the PIC. The ability to fine tune the temps is superb. Although it is only 1300 watts, it boils water near as fast as my 1800 watt models and this is rather amazing in itself.

Page 1 of 2