The Joy of Christmas
127 Members and 15951 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Is There any other thing you can use for an Angel Food Cake Pan?

Started 1333596934.97 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1333880004.3 by lilgreeneyes
replies

I bought a box of Angel food cake mix and made it, but I put it in a loaf pan and first try it rose too much and my oven was a MESS! Next try--I put some batter in that loaf pan and the rest in a regular cake pan...today I saw a pan (Wilton) specific for Angel Food Cakes in Walmart. It was about $11--the pan had a tube in the middle and the side lifted off from the bottom. It's nice, but I need to downsize and if I cant make this pan do multiple duties then I dont wanna add to my collection. Any suggestions will help--Thanks!

Page 1 of 1
HopeReigns1333597121.8633517 PostsRegistered 5/4/2007

Try using a stainless bowl with a heat-proof glass or jar filled with water or rice in the center. Carefully poor the batter in and you should get an angel food cake.

Hope, >^.^<

"

dex1333597487.7773077 PostsRegistered 4/2/2006
On 4/4/2012 HopeReigns said:

Try using a stainless bowl with a heat-proof glass or jar filled with water or rice in the center. Carefully poor the batter in and you should get an angel food cake.

What a great idea!I don't have that pan either.

Anne0011333597773.951767 PostsRegistered 2/1/2008NE

An Angel Food Cake Pan will hold a full cake mix. A regular cake pan hold 1/2 of a mix. If you use a loaf pan, only fill it 1/2 full so there is plenty of room for it to rise.

You can make 1/2 of a cake mix. Dump it out and measure how many cups. Cut in 1/2 and put the rest back for next time.

Other pans - regular cake pan with a tall glass in the middle, r i m down. If you use a whole mix, add a stiff parchment sheet collar to the inside of the pan to make the 4+inches taller would be a good idea. It will get a bit brown but it will let the cake rise correctly and not make a mess. Line with parchment too to make it easier to remove.

Or you can use a springform pan with a glass and collar as above. The removable bottom makes it easier so no parchment needed in the bottom .

Round pans need a middle column for the cake to grab onto as it rises and eliminate the wet spot that can happen since the middle bakes last and the sides can be overdone before it does.

The center column also helps to hold the cake upside down as it cools and helps to keep it from collapsing, which it can if cooled on its bottom.

Chicklet and Cult Member

Missey11333636892.563174 PostsRegistered 12/21/2008Sierra Foothills CA

When I first got my toaster/convection oven, it was summer and I wanted to bake a cake. So, I got angel food, and I used my pyrex bowls. I think I ended up using two or three, and they were different sizes to boot. The cake came out just fine.

Having said the above, I have not tried it since then and it may not work for you, but if you don't mind throwing it all away if it doesn't work, try it.

If I ever do this again, I like the suggestion of using half a package.

lilgreeney­es1333650579.467671 PostsRegistered 4/8/2011

If you decide to buy the pan, my mother makes her meatloaf in the angel food pan, she likes the round shape for the loaf, puts little herbs or a compote or ketchup in the center to present at table. I also use my angel food pan for a jello mold, monkey bread, coffee cakes. HTH

forrestwolf1333662854.615975 PostsRegistered 6/20/2010Deep in South Georgia

I use a regular pound cake tube pan, and just cool the cake upside down on a bottle.........and a pound cake tube pan can be used for may things.............Cool

"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack"
1895 Rudyard Kipling
EDUCATE........NOT ERADICATE

markswife1333852153.11927 PostsRegistered 12/4/2007
On 4/5/2012 lilgreeneyes said:

If you decide to buy the pan, my mother makes her meatloaf in the angel food pan, she likes the round shape for the loaf, puts little herbs or a compote or ketchup in the center to present at table. I also use my angel food pan for a jello mold, monkey bread, coffee cakes. HTH

MOM used to make an icecream cake in her angel food cake pan, layer many different flavors in the pan , then freeze it , unmold and eat a way.

lilgreeney­es1333880004.3671 PostsRegistered 4/8/2011

Markswife...thats a great idea!

Page 1 of 1