TSV(R) Preview
123 Members and 11481 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Fiestaware - Factory Seconds

Started 1329332113.593 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1329447833.573 by SpaGal

Has anyone purchase Fiestaware factory seconds from EBAY or other vendor? Just wondering how different the quality is from a brand new item. I know that there are flaws on the factory seconds. Some of the EBAY sellers list their items as factory seconds, but you can't tell from the photo if the flaws are significant or not. Thanks!

Page 1 of 1
Slainte1329337336.573198 PostsRegistered 5/3/2007

I have factory seconds from the Fiesta factory store in Newell, WV. The ones I have have very small imperfections that are hardly noticable and don't impact use at all. There might be a small bubble, or a place where the glaze didn't cover all of the bottom. For example, I have two scarlet gusto bowls, one came from Macys, the other is a factory second. Only when I turn them over and look at the bottom can I tell which is which. The factory second has a sloppier glaze around the bottom, a littler drippier. They are seconds, but for the price from the factory store and the chip resistance of Fiestaware the seconds work very well.

You could always ask for additional pictures of the seconds being offered on ebay so you could make an informed decision.

fbm2lsm1329341891.1872599 PostsRegistered 8/25/2010
On 2/15/2012 Slainte said:

I have factory seconds from the Fiesta factory store in Newell, WV. The ones I have have very small imperfections that are hardly noticable and don't impact use at all. There might be a small bubble, or a place where the glaze didn't cover all of the bottom. For example, I have two scarlet gusto bowls, one came from Macys, the other is a factory second. Only when I turn them over and look at the bottom can I tell which is which. The factory second has a sloppier glaze around the bottom, a littler drippier. They are seconds, but for the price from the factory store and the chip resistance of Fiestaware the seconds work very well.

You could always ask for additional pictures of the seconds being offered on ebay so you could make an informed decision.

Have you been to the outlet in Flatwoods WV? I really want a set of Fiesta ware and have always wondered about the quality and price there.

Rember if You are going to be dumb You had better be tough

kittyfan1329343440.565925 PostsRegistered 11/6/2008Central Tx

I have been able to purchase Fiesta at Macy's. Half price no shipping. I love it---don't live close to an outlet. Fiesta vs. Temptations---no comparison.

Slainte1329353319.447198 PostsRegistered 5/3/2007

I haven't been to the Flatwoods WV outlet so I'm afraid I can't help you. I hear that the big tent sale in June at the factory is quite an experience, but I have never been.

In regard to the seconds, it's really good to see and examine each piece in person, then you know what you are getting.

sugarsmom1329391576.51779 PostsRegistered 4/16/2007Kingsville, MD

Thanks for your responses!

Slainte: I think you hit the nail on the head. I don't think I would have a problem buying seconds if I had the piece in my hand and knew exactly why it was considered a second. I think I'm going to pass on the EBAY seconds.

seaswirl1329395606.0731074 PostsRegistered 1/3/2005

. . . I have two scarlet gusto bowls . ..

Hi Slainte:

I have one gusto bowl, but I don't really know what to use it for. How do you use your gusto bowls? Just regular extra serving bowls?

~SEA~

Slainte1329397357.907198 PostsRegistered 5/3/2007

Seaswirl - my DH loves the gusto bowls for soup. I also use them for vegetable side dishes or for crackers/chips next to a dip. We use the gusto bowls more than the soup/cereal bowls that came with the place setting.

Ripley1091329399398.0879346 PostsRegistered 2/1/2006

I buy my Fiestaware from a store in my town that sells factory seconds. I've never had a problem with any item I've purchased, and I've also managed to find some unusual pieces that I don't see in the stores. I can't seem to find any flaws, maybe I'm not that picky.....

"A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes." - Mark Twain

fbm2lsm1329420631.1432599 PostsRegistered 8/25/2010

I haven't been to the Flatwoods WV outlet so I'm afraid I can't help you. I hear that the big tent sale in June at the factory is quite an experience, but I have never been.

In regard to the seconds, it's really good to see and examine each piece in person, then you know what you are getting.

Thaks for the info! I have heard the tent sale is chaos, I would love to visit Flatwoods again, my son went to college at Glenville and we always stopped at the outlets when we visited. They were right on the way! I love Fiesta ware and wish that I had purchased it then. (my hindsight is always 20/20)

Like you I am good with seconds, I do love a bargain!

Last edited on 2/16/2012

Last edited on 2/16/2012

Rember if You are going to be dumb You had better be tough

kittyfan1329424741.2835925 PostsRegistered 11/6/2008Central Tx

Oh LOL about the hindsight---I've said that about lots of things. I also love a bargain and seconds wouldn't bother me either---if it wasn't blatant.

Shop Till ­you Drop1329426648.723777 PostsRegistered 2/4/2010TX

We have a store that sells seconds in Canton TX. and I have purchased many, many pieces over the years and they hold up just as well as those I buy from Macy's or Kohls. It's true some might have a bubble or two, or a little missed glaze..but it doesnt bother my family one bit. We even laugh that some of the plates are just a little off round. These dishes have made alot of family memories over the years from great meal time conversations...thats what it is really about in my estimation!!! :)

chickenbutt1329429291.4324234 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

I have a few pieces that were sold as seconds on ebay and never got anything that wasn't totally acceptable and in most cases I couldn't even tell why they were considered seconds. Just be sure to read the ad carefully and buy from a seller with excellent feedback.

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

golden mar­iposa1329444305.3231413 PostsRegistered 11/10/2007
On 2/16/2012 fbm2lsm said:

Thaks for the info! I have heard the tent sale is chaos, I would love to visit Flatwoods again, my son went to college at Glenville and we always stopped at the outlets when we visited. They were right on the way! I love Fiesta ware and wish that I had purchased it then. (my hindsight is always 20/20)

Like you I am good with seconds, I do love a bargain!

Last edited on 2/16/2012

I went to the tent sale in Oct. (they have two a year) and it was indeed chaos. The prices were unbelievably cheap like $2.00 for the large dinner plate. People come with trailers and load up. I talked to quite a few and most were buying for resale although there were several restaurant owners buying too. Before a piece is regarded as a second it is inspected by two people so most of the seconds are perfectly acceptable and unless you are really looking for the flaw they are hardly noticeable. There is a huge dump near the factory and that is where they dump all the stuff that is not good enough to sell as a second. it is all fenced in and no one is allowed in. Quite an interesting place. We visit several times a year. We only buy seconds when we visit before the first quality stuff is cheaper at Macy's or Kohl's than it is directly at the factory. If you do visit the factory, be sure to take with you some old towels so you can wipe off all the dust on the dishes as they are quite dusty and some even have mud on them. Always fun and always find something.

"In order to be irreplaceable; one must always be different. " Coco Chanel

SpaGal1329447833.5733112 PostsRegistered 6/5/2010

I got my first sets of Fiestaware as part of my wedding registry in Dec. We love the fun colors, they wash well and are very sturdy.

Page 1 of 1