Fashion & Accessories Clearance
79 Members and 11429 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

VitaMix versus Ninja

Started 1324474842.54 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1325034420.77 by Stargazer77

Hi, everyone. :)

I want to start on the right foot for the New Year and I want to make healthy smoothies since I am not big on eating veggies. I know VitaMix is the best but that might be a difficult pricepoint for me. How does the Ninja compare for making smoothies from frozen berries? My current KitchenAid blender doesn't get things smooth and it's too chunky. :(

Thank you for reading!

Page 1 of 1
Lottina1324477823.341353 PostsRegistered 6/19/2007Georgia

I will attempt to give you my version of this comparison. I do have both. The Vitamix will pulverise anything and make it virtually liquid if that is what you want. If your goal is to make really good smoothies, I would advise the Vitamix. If you want to chop certain veggies or meats but do not wish to pulverise it, then the Ninja is probably best. If you like your smoothies slightly "lumpy" then go with the Ninja. Sometimes I do like mine not to be so completely smooth and sometimes I want complete smoothness and that is how I choose the one to use. If you will diffinitely get only one and can possibly afford it -- get the Vitamix and just judge by experience how long to run it for a particular affect.

Now the Ninja comes in various wattage and various configurations. You do have to watch for that. The Ninja I have is 700 watts and many of them are not. So if you see a really inexpensive one, be sure what you are buying. Read reviews either here or from whereever you are going to buy from.

Good luck!

Lottina

4uthebest1324478783.2673526 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009

The whole purpose of smoothies is to break down the cell walls to release nutrients quicker, and the ninja's cannot do that. They do excel however in chopping and making snow.

Last edited on 12/21/2011

Bikkie1324480535.8533933 PostsRegistered 10/7/2009

Thank you! I definitely want the smoother texture of the smoothie so it's just as I assumed. That is interesting about breaking down the cell walls as well.

Sooner1324480687.4814353 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004

The Vitamix has a 7 year warranty if purchased from the company (I have a "reconditioned" one that works great, looked new and was somewhere around $370) and it is made in the USA. Factor the cost out and it isn't such a bad deal. I've heard customer service is great, but never have had to use it. I can't see how you would be unhappy with this machine for smoothies.

Bikkie1324481447.3973933 PostsRegistered 10/7/2009
On 12/21/2011 Sooner said:

The Vitamix has a 7 year warranty if purchased from the company (I have a "reconditioned" one that works great, looked new and was somewhere around $370) and it is made in the USA. Factor the cost out and it isn't such a bad deal. I've heard customer service is great, but never have had to use it. I can't see how you would be unhappy with this machine for smoothies.

From everything I read, I think I would be thrilled with it but it's just so expensive for us right now. I know it has other functions but I would be mainly using it for smoothies, so a $300+ smoothie maker sounds like an awful lot of money. :)

I'll have to put more thought into it after the holidays and start saving.

dal1324481704.5833544 PostsRegistered 11/15/2007Indiana

I don't have a vitamix, but I do have a ninja that DH saw at Sams Club and thought we "needed"....anyway, it was a good deal for the set; $50 and it includes 2 small cannisters, 1 medium and 1 large w/ tops to fit each and the motor. I actually love that thing!! I use it all the time to chop veggies, meats, etc. and yes, we've made smoothies in it and they turn out just fine; just as good as the blender we have - not lumpy at all. If the vitamix is cost prohibitve for you I think you'll be happy w/ a ninja as a compromise and you'll use it more than you think. My MIL thought it was such a great thing we got her a set for christmas this year!

JesusRocks1324482323.43261 PostsRegistered 1/9/2009

I have the same Ninja mentioned above from Sams Club and love it. Smoothies come out smooth and easy to make. This one was a replacement for the original Ninja sold here on QVC as the old one was beginning to strip. Still worked great, but when they came out with the new improved expensive version, I wanted to pick up a smaller model while they still offered it.

Interesting comment above about the wattage ; didn't realize they offered different wattages. The one I just got is 450W, but it chops frozen and fresh fruit and ice just fine. It does the trick for my family for $50. Works way better than the Cuisinart blender I used to use.

lacey11324485825.6872293 PostsRegistered 6/5/2009

I got the 1100 Ninja last Dec. when it was a TSV, got one for my son, too. I use mine 99% of the time for smoothies. It does a good job, BUT it will not get the smoothies silky smooth like a VitaMix. There are a lot of copycat VitaMixes on the market. Montel Williams and Woifgang Puck each have one and reviews are bad. I am going to start shopping for a VitaMix. My Ninja will not last forever, I can tell that after almost daily use for 1 year. Next time QVC has a VitaMix for TSV, I might become a new VitaMix owner!

chickenbutt1324486410.65323440 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

Like the others have said, I would go with the Vitamix. Although it does cost considerably more (check out reconditioned from the website as Sooner mentioned. I've heard they are just like brand new with the warranty and for much less) it will last considerably longer and do everything you need it to do.

I've read so much about people buying the Ninja products and then having plastic parts fail on them or having them die for whatever reasons, then they are out $100-$150 and have nothing and no warranty. I guess I'm of the school that it pays to spend more when it will get you a much better, and more reliable, product. Plus, it's nice to buy 'made in the US' when you can. :)

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

suzyQ31324493886.39324132 PostsRegistered 3/15/2007

If it's primarily truly excellent smoothies you want, I recommend a blender that is more expensive than the Ninja blender but not as expensive as the VM. We've used three to four times a week since we purchased it and love it. Here is a review I have posted before:

I had posted a few weeks ago that we had ordered a new blender because our old one had died. We use one only for smoothies, which we make three or four times and week. We had tried one brand, the Ninja NJ600, but were very disappointed with it and returned it. It left chunks of frozen fruit; it produced noSo after considerable research, we decided on the Waring Commercial Extreme Series MX1050XTX (new model). It makes soups, salsas, sauces, dressings, desserts, and of course beverages.

It has a 64-ounce BPA-free container, electronic touchpad with simple ON/OFF, High, Low, Pulse, and Stop controls, a heavy-duty 3.5 HP motor with 45,000 RPMs (as compared to VM's 2 HP with 37,000 RPMs), NSF certification, a base that is compatible with VM jars (irrelevant to us but might be useful in a commercial setting), and is made in the U.S.

The best price we found was at the Everything Kitchens site (LINK to the model) -- $307, free shipping, no tax outside of Missouri, where they have a brick & mortar store. The customer service is superb. This is not an inexpensive appliance, but its competitor costs $449, plus tax.

We have been extremely pleased and impressed with its simplicity and its performance. The design and the power create a vortex that makes wonderful smoothies super fast. The Ninja's blade design looks cool but doesn't produce that vortex. And although we don't generally need crushed ice, this blender turns ice cubes into the finest "snow" in less than five seconds. Here is a good video presentation of the blender (LINK).

As with most commercial blenders, the blade is not removable. It is a breeze to clean with a brush or sponge and soapy water, or you can run it with some water and a few drops liquid dish detergent like Palmolive or Dawn.

This 64-ounce blender is about the same height as the VM, so it does not fit under our cabinets. We have it in a spot on our counter where there is no upper cabinet. There is a smaller version in this same series with a 48-ounce container that is shorter, and I'm sure it's excellent, but it does not have the new "Raptor" technology.

Two caveats: This blender does not come with any accessories or cookbooks. It just comes with a straightforward manual that basically tells you how to turn it on. Also, it has a three-year warranty, shorter than its competitor. That may be an important issue for some; it was not important to us.

"We need science, and we need humanity. Without these we will revisit the Dark Ages"

The fewer the facts, the stronger the opinion -- Arnold H. Glasow

cjmcp1324494144.2831570 PostsRegistered 12/23/2004Texas

I make my husband's mixed berry smoothies with the Ninja; has only come out lumpy one time; don't know that I did anything different that day but it never happened before and hasn't happened since. I see no need to pay the extra $ for the VitaMix if all you are using it for is smoothies. JMO.

And it's SO much easier to clean than a regular blender!

depglass1324498440.8323377 PostsRegistered 11/14/2006

Just a thought, your digestive system will break down cell walls of berries.

madcity4111324499274.4834496 PostsRegistered 8/11/2007
On 12/21/2011 akanesama said:

From everything I read, I think I would be thrilled with it but it's just so expensive for us right now. I know it has other functions but I would be mainly using it for smoothies, so a $300+ smoothie maker sounds like an awful lot of money. :)

It is so much more than just a "smoothie" maker. It makes soup, and can do a variety of other functions as well. I would recommend visiting the Vitamix website for demos of the true versatility of this wonderful blending "machine". It is rather expensive, but in my opinion, and many others here, well worth the investment. QVC may be having another TSV, so look for that.

Linders Ba­ck1324500617.158444 PostsRegistered 9/4/2005Second star to the right and straight on till morning.

I never thought I needed a smoothie maker or a fancy blender. I was still using my 1948 (that's the YEAR, not the model number) Waring Blendor and was quite content.

Then I was gifted a VitaMix 5200 and figured I better use it. Well, I have used it every day since! LOVE IT. Make smoothies every morning for DH and myself. Used to just have coffee, and either a pastry or bowl of cheerios. I buy the slightly bruised marked down fruit at the grocery for the smoothies, so they are more economical than the cereal or pastries and better for us. Win-win.

I've never had a food processor either, so have used my VitaMix to chop veggies and meats for recipes when a food processor was called for.

I've also made sorbet using just fresh oranges and ice cubes. Very economical dessert. (One orange and a cup or two of ice serves 4 easily).

I keep the machine right on my counter back under the overhead cabinets with just the lid on it. It looks very neat and unobtrusive that way. I keep the tall container in the cabinet above. When I need to use it, I just slide it out front. As I mentioned on another thread awhile back, It is very heavy so I put the base on a foam optical mouse pad, shiny side of pad down. Slides easily and the foam helps dampen the motor sound.

Can't comment on the Ninja, but I am very happy with my VitaMix, and if I'd known how much I would use it, I would have bought one before now.

"SHUT UP LEGS" - Jens Voight

PBJ1324521026.9536821 PostsRegistered 7/10/2007
On 12/21/2011 akanesama said:

This is why I took a chance on the Ninja. Couldn't justify the price of the Vitamix for mainly making smoothies. One day I will invest in a Vitamix, but right now I'm loving my Ninja. I have the 700W. I'm very happy with it.

Poor but Gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bikkie1324648017.363933 PostsRegistered 10/7/2009
On 12/21/2011 Linders Back said:

I never thought I needed a smoothie maker or a fancy blender. I was still using my 1948 (that's the YEAR, not the model number) Waring Blendor and was quite content.

Then I was gifted a VitaMix 5200 and figured I better use it. Well, I have used it every day since! LOVE IT. Make smoothies every morning for DH and myself. Used to just have coffee, and either a pastry or bowl of cheerios. I buy the slightly bruised marked down fruit at the grocery for the smoothies, so they are more economical than the cereal or pastries and better for us. Win-win.

I've never had a food processor either, so have used my VitaMix to chop veggies and meats for recipes when a food processor was called for.

I've also made sorbet using just fresh oranges and ice cubes. Very economical dessert. (One orange and a cup or two of ice serves 4 easily).

I keep the machine right on my counter back under the overhead cabinets with just the lid on it. It looks very neat and unobtrusive that way. I keep the tall container in the cabinet above. When I need to use it, I just slide it out front. As I mentioned on another thread awhile back, It is very heavy so I put the base on a foam optical mouse pad, shiny side of pad down. Slides easily and the foam helps dampen the motor sound.

Can't comment on the Ninja, but I am very happy with my VitaMix, and if I'd known how much I would use it, I would have bought one before now.

Wow, thank you for the great reivew! Thank you to everyone else for writing your thoughts.. it really does sound like Vitamix is the way to go. I'll have to start saving! :)

ybotski1324659045.334 PostsRegistered 11/6/2011

I have a vitamix which I use everyday for making smoothies, juice and ice cream. I don't eat that much vegetables and fruits everyday but with vitamix, I can drink different kinds of fruits and vegetables by juicing them. I purchased the pulse ninja which was a tsv but I returned it because it doesn't really pulverized whole fruits and vegetables. I have the ninja with the top motor but I haven't tried it yet but I will just use it to crush ice and to chop foods because I don't have a food processor. Vitamix is more expensive compared to other blenders but with the qvc's easy payment, it's easier to own one, plus the price is worth the satisfaction you get. I had a juicer before but after using it for a year, I stopped using it because I got tired of cleaning it everytime I use it and besides I didn't get all the fibers from the fruit. Vitamix is easy to clean and easy to use.

Linders Ba­ck1324675988.2338444 PostsRegistered 9/4/2005Second star to the right and straight on till morning.
On 12/23/2011 ybotski said:

I have a vitamix which I use everyday for making smoothies, juice and ice cream. I don't eat that much vegetables and fruits everyday but with vitamix, I can drink different kinds of fruits and vegetables by juicing them. I purchased the pulse ninja which was a tsv but I returned it because it doesn't really pulverized whole fruits and vegetables. I have the ninja with the top motor but I haven't tried it yet but I will just use it to crush ice and to chop foods because I don't have a food processor. Vitamix is more expensive compared to other blenders but with the qvc's easy payment, it's easier to own one, plus the price is worth the satisfaction you get. I had a juicer before but after using it for a year, I stopped using it because I got tired of cleaning it everytime I use it and besides I didn't get all the fibers from the fruit. Vitamix is easy to clean and easy to use.

I've found that when I make a fruit smoothie (berries, banana, pineapple, etc.) in the Vita Mix, I can add a couple of handfuls of baby spinach or a stalk of Kale to it and you never know the veggies are in there. They just disinegrate! (Ok, the color gets a little murky but they add nothing to the taste).

I also sometimes use the V-8 Fusion Pom flavor as a juice base, so get a super amount of veggies that way.

Other than an ocassional salad, it was very hard to get my husband to eat anything but meat and potato for supper: no green veggies. Now, he has them for breakfast!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

"SHUT UP LEGS" - Jens Voight

lacey11324680409.5372293 PostsRegistered 6/5/2009
On 12/23/2011 Linders Back said:

I've found that when I make a fruit smoothie (berries, banana, pineapple, etc.) in the Vita Mix, I can add a couple of handfuls of baby spinach or a stalk of Kale to it and you never know the veggies are in there. They just disinegrate! (Ok, the color gets a little murky but they add nothing to the taste).

I also sometimes use the V-8 Fusion Pom flavor as a juice base, so get a super amount of veggies that way.

Other than an ocassional salad, it was very hard to get my husband to eat anything but meat and potato for supper: no green veggies. Now, he has them for breakfast!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

That's what I do with the Ninja. The Ninja does NOT get it smooth. It's still healthy. I put raw kale or spinach, unpeeled carrots, cored unpeeled apple, frozen banana and frozen blueberries with the fusion juice. The contents vary a little depending on availability. I think I would like a VitaMix!

Stargazer771325034420.776194 PostsRegistered 10/24/2006

akanesama, are you a member of Costco? Their price is 395 I think when they have a roadshow. You can also order one from Vitamix's website if that's the machine you end up choosing. QVC is also having a Vitamix TSV sometime in January, mid-month I think.

Page 1 of 1