Creede Silver Sale
27 Members and 11958 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Wolfgang Puck's Lighted Salt and Pepper Mill

Started 1323385815.043 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1323486784.753 by onlyhappy1

I was so excited to receive my WP salt and pepper mills that were a special on the other shopping channel. Well, just got them and can't even open the top to get batteries in. It is tough as nails! Anyone else order these?

Page 1 of 1
homedecor11323389768.952650 PostsRegistered 6/20/2005

Ordered them- rec'd them - returned them! 12 batteries ... forget it!

Plus, my son said a hand grinding was better than battery operated --

bunsnpigs1323390169.563180 PostsRegistered 2/10/2006

I know! Each one takes 6 AAA batteries. Craziness!

4uthebest1323391583.793526 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009

what you need to do is to turn the bottom section in the direction of the other arrow. I have a previous WP lighted grinder and I love it and I am hoping these dual grinders work as well. On the previous one the batteries worked a really long time but now I am using rechargable ones as that will save me even more money.

bunsnpigs1323392692.79180 PostsRegistered 2/10/2006

4uthebest, thank you for that! Although it was still hard, it did work. I had to use 2 grip holders and it worked. Geesh! You're so helpful!

NovaStar1323395177.91323 PostsRegistered 11/9/2010

Whenever I have trouble opening things, I use fat rubber bands (from asparagus.) Gives me enough grip to get most open. Just passing this along as a tip for the future.

NovaStar1323395275.091323 PostsRegistered 11/9/2010

Oops, forgot to ask. How well do you like it? I was turned off by the 6 batteries. But if it does a great job, might reconsider.

chrystyne7­311323396977.74761 PostsRegistered 1/20/2007
I just received my red set today and I think they are really made well. They seem sturdy and the red is more of a deep brick red. I was considering returning them after reading about the batteries, but they are really nice in person. The only thing I would like to see is a bigger well to hold the actual salt and pepper. I don't plan on gifting the other so it would have been nice to have one for salt and the other for pepper.

nantucket ­shore1323405951.1435636 PostsRegistered 10/14/2007
On 12/8/2011 homedecor said:

No Way!...12 batteries total?????? that's unreal, I would return them too....did they say that during the demonstration?????

4uthebest1323413992.543526 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 12/8/2011 nantucket shore said:

No Way!...12 batteries total?????? that's unreal, I would return them too....did they say that during the demonstration?????

Yes they DID say that it used 6 batteries each that are not included. As I said previously, If they are anything like my first WP battery powered pair that used 6 AA batteries each, I will love them especially since I use rechargable batteries now and an Alkaline battery recharger.

QVC old-ti­mer1323431100.497206 PostsRegistered 7/31/2007
On 12/9/2011 4uthebest said:
On 12/8/2011 nantucket shore said:

Yes they DID say that it used 6 batteries each that are not included. As I said previously, If they are anything like my first WP battery powered pair that used 6 AA batteries each, I will love them especially since I use rechargable batteries now and an Alkaline battery recharger.

His original set used 4 batteries each and I had them for several years. If you notice, they are all using 6 batteries each now. I switched over to Oxo manual ones and they are great - no batteries. Of course, the nice one-handed operation is only on the electrics but small price to pay not to be bothered changing batteries, not to mention the expense.

bunsnpigs1323443637.793180 PostsRegistered 2/10/2006

Well, I managed to get salt and pepper into each tiny well opening, load up the 12 batteries total (they are AAA), and try them out. If I had paid more for these, I would have raised holy heck. For one thing, because the covers were so hard to get off, I can only get one of them back on, and it takes forever for any significant amount of pepper or salt to come out, so using them for cooking is a joke. Flavoring food at the table, maybe.

The jury is still out. I tried leaving a review on the other shopping channel site, and it wouldn't let me until the shipping date had been over 5 days to get us to use the item and make a fair review. We'll see.

4uthebest1323444632.5433526 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 12/9/2011 bunsnpigs said:

Well, I managed to get salt and pepper into each tiny well opening, load up the 12 batteries total (they are AAA), and try them out. If I had paid more for these, I would have raised holy heck. For one thing, because the covers were so hard to get off, I can only get one of them back on, and it takes forever for any significant amount of pepper or salt to come out, so using them for cooking is a joke. Flavoring food at the table, maybe.

The jury is still out. I tried leaving a review on the other shopping channel site, and it wouldn't let me until the shipping date had been over 5 days to get us to use the item and make a fair review. We'll see.

I have had no problem getting the lid back on.. I simply reversed what I did to get it off,, i.e., lined up the arrows. As far as getting a significant amount of pepper or salt to come out, I do not know but the salt comes out nicely for me and I tried the adjustments and it will do almost as fine as a powder and relatively coarse.

I really like them as I can use them one handed and without skipping a beat grind out both salt and pepper with the added bonus of a small light.

I have ordered quality salt and pepper and even though it is a bit hard to load, with a spoon it is fine but I probably will make a small paper funnel to help load them. I will report back after I try the new salt & pepper on some proteins.

4uthebest1323446849.2133526 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009

OK, I just received my Pink Salt and Tellicherry Pepper and tried it in the grinders and it worked fine. Boy it pays to get quality ingredients to use in these. My mouth is still "burning" from the small amt of pepper that I ground with the salt, but it tasted great and thus far I am pleased.

The size of the granules coming out do not have the widest range, but with the pepper and salt that I am using, I do not need anything else. If a recipe calls for a 1/4 tsp or more of the salt, I will be using a measuring spoon rather than trying to grind it out.

Of couse we are talking about chinese construction but it is very hard to avoid it. Imagine my disgust this morning when in Sam'sClub I saw that the frozen broccoli and other vegs were from China.{#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

chickenbutt1323449031.37723965 PostsRegistered 1/16/2006chickentown

I noticed this when I watched one presentation that day.

If you decide to return them, go with a good brand that uses a different type of grinder for salt than pepper. A good brand makes separate, labelled, grinders because grinding salt is different from grinding pepper.

I have Peugeot grinders for both salt and pepper, and they are really nice and nice looking too. No batteries - just the normal type of grinder with many adjustments from fine to course. It's not hard to do it manually and I say that having arthritis in my hands, thumb problems, wrist problems, elbow problems, and shoulder problems. :)

Last edited on 12/9/2011

Last edited on 12/9/2011

Bippity boppity BOOYAH!

4uthebest1323453193.293526 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 12/9/2011 chickenbutt said:

I noticed this when I watched one presentation that day.

If you decide to return them, go with a good brand that uses a different type of grinder for salt than pepper. A good brand makes separate, labelled, grinders because grinding salt is different from grinding pepper.

ILast edited on 12/9/2011

The WP ones are now using ceramic mechanisms which are a far cry from the steel they used previously. Time will tell how they hold up but right now with my rechargable batteries, the grinding is fine and the carpal tunnel is not aggrevated by manually twisting a grinder.

4uthebest1323474909.293526 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009

Used it in preparation of homemade pizza tonight and it worked really fine. I think it was great to be able to see the surface of the pie easier with the light as I alternated with one hand between salt and pepper.

coffee dri­nker1323475163.1731243 PostsRegistered 7/17/2009

When are we ever going to learn???

onlyhappy11323486784.7532813 PostsRegistered 11/19/2011

Well, I ordered 2 sets, one for each of the FSILs who love to cook. I checked with the DDs prior and they said they would love it. Now I need to buy 24 batteries,lol. Hope they work the way they want them to and should, or they will be going back. Thanks for the thread.

ETA

Last edited on 12/9/2011

Last edited on 12/9/2011

Dream it, do it!
AKA: happy2write4you, Est 10/21/2007
The original, one and only!

Page 1 of 1