Shoes & Handbags Offers
163 Members and 14425 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Dry Blade for VitaMix

Started 1267479555 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1267582410 by SarahW
I own a VM5200 and have recently been interested in grinding grains for flour. I ordered the dry container today and can't wait to get it. Has anyone ordered the dry container and does it do a good job of making flour??
I'm so excited; nothing like a new kitchen gadget to make my day. (Unless it's a new purse...but that's another thread. :^O)

Page 1 of 1
Nightowlz12674804869421 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
I don't know. Don't have the dry blade. Please post after using it & let us know what you think. :-) Maybe someone else has an answer for you.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” Will Rogers

4uthebest12674820873526 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
Dry blade is fine but I find it is not really necessary for the grain grinding I do as it comes out fine with the "wet" blade, but perhaps you will notice a difference. Many of the other high tech blenders do not have a dry grinding blade and they do fine...Blendtec for one..

SarahW126748250516139 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
> Dry blade is fine but I find it is not really
> necessary for the grain grinding I do as it comes out
> fine with the "wet" blade, ...
Hmmm. Well, your experience is not the same as mine. When I grind grains with the wet blade, they never get as fine as I would like. And, I don't care for Blendtec; I used to own one but gave it away. It did not come close to the VitaMix IMO.

4uthebest12674860653526 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
yep, if I need to make pastry flour then I use the dry blade but most of the time I just want flour for bread and the wet is fine. I also like the infinite control of the VM over the preset Blendtec and that is why I had serveral VM machines now for the past 20 years

SarahW126748703416139 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
> I don't know. Don't have the dry blade. Please post
> after using it & let us know what you think. :-)
> Maybe someone else has an answer for you.
Thanks, Niteowlz. I will definitely post once I have used it! I thought some of the buyers of the QVC VM might have picked up a dry container, since VM offered it for $99 if purchased within 6 weeks of the QVC TSV. I didn't buy the TSV, but when I called VM to order they gave me the $99 price and free shipping anyhow!! I'm psyched! (The regular price is $144!)

SarahW126754807316139 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
Just bumping this up to see if anyone has comments on the dry blade container...

Foodie 71267549329740 PostsRegistered 3/9/2006
SarahW,
I ordered a dry blade container for my previous Vitamix though it will of course work just fine for my new 5200. Had I had to do it again, I would not purchase the dry blade, but that is only because I don't grind my own grains for flour. I've used my dry blade container only a few times.
That said, I can tell you the dry blade container works beautifully. If you want to grind your own flour, I think you will love this container. My housemate is not supposed to be eating wheat flour, so who knows, I may begin grinding some other grains for flour one day soon.
For anyone else (not SaraW) with a new Vitamix, I suggest you get some experience using your new Vitamix before deciding to fork out the money for the dry blade container. You may decide you really wouldn't use it much. I purchased mine with my initial Vitamix purchase. Had I followed my own advice, I probably wouldn't have purchased the dry blade container -- but that's just my experience. Yours may be different.
--
Foodie

SarahW126756492216139 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
Sigrid--thanks for your response. I have been recently diagnosed as IFPG (impaired glucose or pre-diabetes). I must avoid most grains, so I'll be grinding almond meal, flax, etc. for the most part. I find that the wet container makes nut butter before I get the consistency I want. :^O

4uthebest12675774483526 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
Sarah, I do not know what the difference will be with the dry blade/container as it is not really designed for processing nuts but grains.

SarahW126758241016139 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
> Sarah, I do not know what the difference will be
> with the dry blade/container as it is not really
> designed for processing nuts but grains.
Thanks. I hope I'm not disappointed in the dry container purchase. I will be grinding cereals and likely some grains, as I love baking artisan breads. I am a recipe tester for Cooks Ilustrated and many of my cohorts say they "can't live without" their dry blade container. (Naturally I had kitchen gadget envy and rushed to buy. :^O) I'll probably try making dough in the VM, too. If it turns out that I'm disappointed with the dry container I'll just return it to VM.

Page 1 of 1