Trusted Contributor

Is there a way to reduce the salt in ham?

I really want to serve a ham for Easter, but do not like the overly salty tase of it. Since I usually cook low salt foods, I am not used to it anymore. Could I soak it in something to draw some salt out? I am thinking of using beer and apple juice.

Has anyone tried something like this? TIA

Re: Is there a way to reduce the salt in ham?

yes  do not buy cooked ham  ...u can buy all the pork raw  ..i smoke my own in a smoker ..NO SALT  then i add the honey and mustard when i cook it ......again NO SALT

the salt is from the brine they use to cure it .. ok so dont buy cured  ..u can get better doing it ur self ..way better ...i smoked a whole pork belly  the part they make bacon from wow what a difference .....  oh tender was gone in 45 minutes the entire slab ...the vultures hit it

Esteemed Contributor

MODERATOR:

GIVEN RECENT CHANGES, HOW DID THIS 2011 POST MAKE IT BACK UP?

Honored Contributor

@midi459 wrote:

yes  do not buy cooked ham  ...u can buy all the pork raw  ..i smoke my own in a smoker ..NO SALT  then i add the honey and mustard when i cook it ......again NO SALT

the salt is from the brine they use to cure it .. ok so dont buy cured  ..u can get better doing it ur self ..way better ...i smoked a whole pork belly  the part they make bacon from wow what a difference .....  oh tender was gone in 45 minutes the entire slab ...the vultures hit it

Great tip, and welcome to the Q boards.  8)

Honored Contributor

A dear family member (she's gone now) would boil the ham w/ garlic. Claimed it took some of the salt out. I could never taste the garlic.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Respected Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

MODERATOR:

GIVEN RECENT CHANGES, HOW DID THIS 2011 POST MAKE IT BACK UP?

perhaps the new memeber who answered had been searching the old posts to see if there were something they could contribute and brought it up and answered it...