Give Gorgeous
14 Members and 11698 Guests Online

Kitchen & Food Talk

Question: Ninja Blender, Ninja Prep vs. Vitamix, I don't know what I really need :(

Started 1288839498.27 in Kitchen & Food Talk | Last reply 1296256861.51 by B Ci

I just got my Vitamix TSV and it's an absolutely wonderful machine. However, I just read about the new Ninja Blender (not the prep system), and watched Bob Warden take a bunch of raw veggies and fruit and blend them up in the older Ninja Prep System into a smoothie that looked pretty good today, and am wondering if I over-bought with the Vitamix. The Ninja blender is 1100 watts, the Ninja Prep is 450, and the Vitamix is 1492. I know that makes the Vitamix the most powerful, but I'm wondering if the Ninja Blender (1100 watts) would do just as well as the Vitamix? I mainly make smoothies and am interested in soups and possibly bread doughs and the Ninja Blender is not that many watts less than the Vitamix, so I'm wondering if I could do everything I want, except heat the soups in the machine, with the Ninja and not spend so much money for I need? Any opinions would be so greatly appreciated as I'm afraid I bought too much machine and could find something that would pretty much do what it does for less money. Thanks in advance.

Lynn :)

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is God's gift, that's why we call it the 'present'.

Dear Lord, please keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth...Amen.

Page 1 of 2
NickiML1288839709.3131620 PostsRegistered 1/28/2005Plantation, FL

Lynn,

I bought the Vitamix TSV and can relate to your post. I had the Ninja (prep) TSV from months ago on waitlist. I finally canceled it because I read that the blades are so sharp, people were cutting themselves! I like that the Vitamix is one unit, but I'm not sure it will be worth the money for me.

I saw the Ninja blender in a Bed Bath and Beyond catalog. I wonder if it can make green smoothies, etc. like the Vitamix.

Nicki

irsheyes451288840221.637190 PostsRegistered 10/22/2004Florida

Hi, Nicki,

I'm just thinking that if the little Ninja can dissolve all those veggies and fruits in their whole state like it did in the presentation today, and it's only 450 watts, then the Ninja blender at 1100 watts should be able to handle pretty much anything. I guess one of the main differences would be in the warranties and where it's made. I imagine the Ninja would probably have the ordinary 60 or 90 day or 1yr. warranty and is probably made in China. I could justify around $100 a lot better than I could the $400 for the Vitamix, but I didn't think there was anything else out there that even came close. I'm also wondering if the blender is built to last but the little Ninja gets rave reviews all the time and people seem to be pretty happy with it. Sometimes I get so caught up in the presentations and wind up talking myself into something and buying on impulse. Sigh.....

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is God's gift, that's why we call it the 'present'.

Dear Lord, please keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth...Amen.

omnibus1288840483.933129 PostsRegistered 7/12/2010NE Wyoming

Here's a different way of looking at it. Can you afford the best?

I have the 6 blade ninja prep as well as the Vita-mix. As long as I have the vita-mix the ninja will stay on a top shelf.

There are currently 3 different ninja models in several colors on the market. The original is a 4 blade system with 400 watts. The pro is available in any color as long as it's black and has 6 blades and 450 watts. The Ninja blender 600 is 1000 watts while the 1100 is 1100 watts. The dizzying configurations of different wattages speeds and containers is marketing speak so I'm happy I now have the vita-mix which as far as I know only has one motor power and only a few cosmetic difference between only a handful of models.

Also please don't let me fall into the trap of making a big deal out of 5 vs. 7 year warranties.

NickiML1288840625.7531620 PostsRegistered 1/28/2005Plantation, FL

I totally agree! I really wanted the Ninja prep. I just don't have the storage for everything that comes with it, nor did I want to end up in the E.R. because I cut myself with the blades!

I think the Vitamix is great if you know exactly what to put in it. I live alone and would like to figure out how to make ice cream and other things without having to follow a recipe that serves four or more.

Nicki

irsheyes451288841317.133190 PostsRegistered 10/22/2004Florida

Actually, I don't think I want the smaller Ninja as I already have and use the Chris Freytag personal blender for my smoothie everyday. It does a remarkable job on that, so that narrows it down to the Ninja Blender vs. the Vitamix. I'm very interested in the soups and breads that are in the Vitamix cookbook. I can afford the Vitamix, but of course like anybody else, if I can find something just as good for a lot less money, that would be ideal :) I just need to know if I'm making a smoothie, that everything I put in there is going to be dissolved and not floating around in pieces. Maybe the best thing to do would be to purchase the Ninja Blender at BB&B and compare the two.

4uthebest1288841473.2933527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009

I watched the infomercial again for the 1100 system and I am really impressed with what I saw, especially with the remarkable ability to take an entire pitcher of vegetables and ice and within 6 seconds to totally blend these and in less than 1 minute more to make a very smooth vegetable drink.

On the Infomercial it has a 2 year warranty and that is a strong point as well.

Mama Deb1288841760.9772206 PostsRegistered 9/26/2006

I received the Ninja Prep last week and so far my DH and I have used it every single day.

We've never had ANY contact with the blades, simply because we're careful and hold the stem at the top like its recommended.

For my money, I highly recommend this little item, it's now a staple on the kitchen counter.

I am very pleased with it, and intend to purchase them for gifts for Christmas.

debc1288871405.452765 PostsRegistered 10/27/2009

Since you have the Vitamix I'd keep it. It's truely an amazing machine. I've cut myself on those darn Ninja blades a couple times, always my fault. I keep that for small chopping jobs.

Cheese with that whine?

nunu4u1288872959.0438690 PostsRegistered 9/22/2006

We've had the Ninja Prep since last January. I don't see how cutting yourself would be a problem unless you pick it up by the blade. And it does blend hard veg like carrots to a smooth, drinkable state. And makes snow! Right now there's a deal at Bed Bath and Beyond to get one for about $37 if you use a 20 percent off coupon and get the ten dollar rebate.

goose1288876999.08735 PostsRegistered 6/19/2006Arnold, Md.

I have the same dilemma. I purchased the Ninja Pro when it was the TSV and love it.

Then I watched a demo of the Vitamix at Whole Foods and became enamored of it.

Then I watched the infomercial about the Ninja KS1100 blender and was ready to

"pull the trigger" on that one.

Then I watched Bob Warden's demo of the Ninja Pro yesterday and thought

"Why do I need those superpowered newfangled costly blenders when my Ninja Pro

does exactly what I need it to do and does it well!

4uthebest1288879300.8333527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009

That exactly is what I have been saying for a while now.. Simply get the machine that fits your needs now and it will always be able to do that. If in the future you want more features then consider upgrading.

As one who has had VM machines for decades as well as FP and the Ninja Prep for the last 17months, I will say that I was very impressed with the way the 1100 incorporated so quickly the huge pitcher of produce without a tamper.

A while back someone who was looking at the new 4" Blendtec blade performance suggested the people go with the 1100 and that is saying quite a mouthful yet if the Ninja Prep does all you need it to now, there is no reason to purchase anything else.

On 11/4/2010 goose said:

Then I watched the infomercial about the Ninja KS1100 blender and was ready to

"pull the trigger" on that one.

Then I watched Bob Warden's demo of the Ninja Pro yesterday and thought

"Why do I need those superpowered newfangled costly blenders when my Ninja Pro

does exactly what I need it to do and does it well!

TSDTS1288924314.093750 PostsRegistered 6/13/2006Sonoma County, CA
On 11/4/2010 nunu4u said:

We've had the Ninja Prep since last January. I don't see how cutting yourself would be a problem unless you pick it up by the blade. And it does blend hard veg like carrots to a smooth, drinkable state. And makes snow! Right now there's a deal at Bed Bath and Beyond to get one for about $37 if you use a 20 percent off coupon and get the ten dollar rebate.

Haven't seen a rebate?

Rae-Rae1288961663.45107 PostsRegistered 11/8/2007

I just got my 450 watt Ninja Prep and love it! I have the Magic Bullet and never liked it for anything other than smoothies. The Ninja Prep is great though for everything. I saw the presentation for teh Vitamix when it was a TSV and had absolutely no interest in buying it. I had no interest in Montel's blender either. For me they are way over priced. The only difference I see in their performance is that they make soup which I don't care to do in a blender anyway.

I just saw the Ninja Blender and am thinking about getting it from BB&B since I really don't need the extra pieces. $100 is a lot better price and it does everything would need it to do. The Ninja Prep at 450 watts seems plenty powerful so I think 1100 watts is more than adequate for everyday needs.

I guess the question you have to ask yourself is what will you use it for and is it worth the extra cost to make soup in a blender. Choose whicherver one bets fits your needs.

4uthebest1288978828.6933527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009

The only difference between my 400 and 450 watt Ninja Preps seems to be the # as I notice ZERO difference in performance and in fact the 400 watt may be a bit stronger (certainly seems to rev up faster) and the 3 sets of blades with the newer 450 watt model.

I use whatever power pod I have available at the time and they all work great. Again however the sheer incorporation ability between the Ninja 1100 and owning the VM myself, I would have to say the 1100 is much more efficient in its initial incorporation of ingredients even in comparison with the VM using the tamper... Certainly the 3 sets of blades makes a great difference here..

Last edited on 11/5/2010

Last edited on 11/5/2010

livingfoods1289012337.6372 PostsRegistered 11/5/2010

I am considering getting a Ninja 1100 after seeing it blend up a smoothie and turn ice into snow. As I want to make nutritional smoothies in the morning. And with 1100 wattage of power, I figure that would be plenty. And with how the blades are placed.

I do not own a Vitamix which I heard is fabulous. I want to start off with the Ninja 1100 and may not need the Vitamix. I just want to blend up cakes mixes, mixes, and other blended creations.

Last edited on 11/10/2010

omnibus1289079675.64129 PostsRegistered 7/12/2010NE Wyoming

I'm patiently waiting for someone to put a vitamix and Ninja KS1100 side by side for a direct comparison. We already know that the Ninja can't heat soup, all of the other capabilities are up for grabs.

irsheyes451289091814.01190 PostsRegistered 10/22/2004Florida

Meeee too, omnibus!!! That would be wonderful to hear from someone who has used both :)

livingfoods1289096986.7172 PostsRegistered 11/5/2010

It would rock to see a comparison video fo'sho. Getting excited for the new blender !

patco1289759523.4733 PostsRegistered 11/14/2010

I already have the Ninja and love it. I saw the infomercial for the 1100 and can't really justify getting it since what I have works just fine. I was wondering if anyone that has the 1100 can give me the recipe for the iced mocha chiller that the guy made on the infomercial. That really appeals to me since I am lactose intolerant. I have the recipe guide from the Ninja and Bob Warden's cookbook, but they don't have that recipe. Again, can't justify getting the new one just for a recipe. Thanks!

Sooner1289840553.43315226 PostsRegistered 10/6/2004
On 11/3/2010 NickiML said:

I totally agree! I really wanted the Ninja prep. I just don't have the storage for everything that comes with it, nor did I want to end up in the E.R. because I cut myself with the blades!

I think the Vitamix is great if you know exactly what to put in it. I live alone and would like to figure out how to make ice cream and other things without having to follow a recipe that serves four or more.

Well, put anything BUT the cat in the VitaMix. To me, that is one of the advantages of it! We make lots of smoothies with whatever fruit we have that is about to go south. This weekend, we put a pear in with some soy milk and it was WONDERFUL! I put a tiny bit of ice in it and a little dab of Agave juice and whizzed it up and it was a great drink. You can add a few carrot or broccoli bits too and you won't know they are in there after they are thoroughly whizzed.

To make thicker ice-cream like desserts, follow a recipe once or twice and you can then make it out of about anything. We like fruit ones sometimes with just fruit juice, sometimes with milk and/or yogurt in it. Don't add too much liquid and you have ice cream. This weekend we had some sorbet we'd frozen in the summer, and it was just peaches and raspberries and maybe some ice I added--can't remember--or maybe some fruit juice. But it was icy and good and we had to let it thaw from the freezer a little before we could break it up and eat it. It was like an icee!

KBZ1293123373.12722 PostsRegistered 4/26/2008

I had the same dilemma....which do I want. My brother brought the Vitamix Thanksgiving and was showing us all that it did. Then I saw the NINJA, TSV and bought that. After it came, we saw the Vitamix demo at Costco. She made a smoothie and it was SMOOTH. I have made smoothies using the pears, skin and all with the NINJA and you can feel and taste the pulp. I have decided the NINJA is going back and I will spend the $ on Vitamix. I plan to make green smoothies and am afraid the NINJA will not chop or mix up the greens very well, if I can taste the fruit pulp.

Foodie 71293480626.063740 PostsRegistered 3/9/2006
On 11/3/2010 irsheyes45 said:

? Any opinions would be so greatly appreciated as I'm afraid I bought too much machine and could find something that would pretty much do what it does for less money. Thanks in advance.

I suspect the Vitamix will be humming along with no problems for years and years after the various Ninjas no longer work. There's a reason the Vitamix is more expensive than the Ninjas and that machine that Montel Williams hawks. Vitamix has been around for 85 years! If they didn't manufacture and sell a superior product, they wouldn't have been around that long.

I remember a time many years ago when friends of mine said to me, "We can't hear any difference in a stereo system that costs $1,000 and one that costs $100." I told them that if that was the case, they shouldn't spend $1,000 for a new stereo system. Regardless of the product or what you paid for it, if you don't think you're getting a good return on your investment, it's probably not the right product for you.

There may be a few occasions in which an inexpensive product is just as good as one that costs much more, but I think that's, by far, theexception rather than the rule.

Did Lynn buy too much machine when she purchased a Vitamix? I don't think so, but in the end, only Lynn can determine that for herself. If a less expensive machine meets her needs, then that's the right machine for her. Defining exactly what one's needs are is the key. Her needs might be different from mine and our needs might differ from yours.. If we're happy with what we buy, if we're satisfied with the price we paid for it, if it does what we expect it to do, if it lasts as long as we think it should, we've probably made the right purchasing decision -- regardless of what we've spend and what we purchased.

kcmjmom1293602729.687392 PostsRegistered 11/25/2007
On 11/6/2010 omnibus said:

I'm patiently waiting for someone to put a vitamix and Ninja KS1100 side by side for a direct comparison. We already know that the Ninja can't heat soup, all of the other capabilities are up for grabs.

I think I can answer this challenge. I ordered both and tried both using the same recipe. I can say that the Vitamix did a better job getting my green smoothie, smoother. It was not bad in the Ninja 1100, but definitely smoother in the VM. I have made a pasta sauce in the VM, which became heated to perfection. Obviously, I could do it in the Ninja but have to heat in the microwave, which is not a huge deal.

I'm not sure I've come to a total decision about which one to keep yet. While I like the texture better that I'm getting from the VM, I need to weigh whether it's worth the extra $300 and how often I will use it for things like soup or sauces that need to be heated.

I hope that helps some people make their decision. If not, I would suggest doing the side by side test yourself.

glitzieMe1294841514.651 PostsRegistered 1/12/2011

I just saw the infomercial. Sorry I missed out on the sale on QVC. I am looking for how others experience this machine. I have a food processor - and am not impressed.

4uthebest1294842815.8873527 PostsRegistered 1/21/2009
On 12/27/2010 Sigrid said:
On 11/3/2010 irsheyes45 said:

? Any opinions would be so greatly appreciated as I'm afraid I bought too much machine and could find something that would pretty much do what it does for less money. Thanks in advance.

I suspect the Vitamix will be humming along with no problems for years and years after the various Ninjas no longer work. There's a reason the Vitamix is more expensive than the Ninjas and that machine that Montel Williams hawks. Vitamix has been around for 85 years! If they didn't manufacture and sell a superior product, they wouldn't have been around that long.

I remember a time many years ago when friends of mine said to me, "We can't hear any difference in a stereo system that costs $1,000 and one that costs $100." I told them that if that was the case, they shouldn't spend $1,000 for a new stereo system. Regardless of the product or what you paid for it, if you don't think you're getting a good return on your investment, it's probably not the right product for you.

There may be a few occasions in which an inexpensive product is just as good as one that costs much more, but I think that's, by far, theexception rather than the rule.

Did Lynn buy too much machine when she purchased a Vitamix? I don't think so, but in the end, only Lynn can determine that for herself. If a less expensive machine meets her needs, then that's the right machine for her. Defining exactly what one's needs are is the key. Her needs might be different from mine and our needs might differ from yours.. If we're happy with what we buy, if we're satisfied with the price we paid for it, if it does what we expect it to do, if it lasts as long as we think it should, we've probably made the right purchasing decision -- regardless of what we've spend and what we purchased.

Sigrid, you took the words right out of my pen {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Page 1 of 2