Trusted Contributor

Judith Ripka-What's happening with the business?

We know she sold the company to a group that holds many other companies and she will still be "creating/designing". But what is happening? Her old website is down. It says-new site, Judith Ripka Ltd., coming in 2015. I saw a comment that the Madison Avenue store is now closed-I realize that this may have been an erroneous statement. Does anyone know what is going on? Even with the sale of her company, shouldn't it still have a presence?? Hmmmmmmm. Are the few boutiques which she had closed as well? There was one here in Southern CA. and Las Vegas, and Florida. I am interested if any of you have information that I missed. Wow, our world just keeps changing and I am not sure for the better.

Super Contributor

Re: Judith Ripka-What's happening with the business?

She sold out for 22 Million. Probably see less and less of her.
Honored Contributor

On 1/10/2015 AnnaBella said: Probably see less and less of her.

I think you're right. She sold out. They bought her name and related rights. As she fades away they'll continue to market under the Ripka label.

Valued Contributor

Hope it won't end up like Imperial Gold. They had a good run on the q and then just disappeared...loved their jewelry!,
Trusted Contributor

Sold out? Isn't she in her 70s? When is a person allowed to retire? She sold her company and is still active with the line. I don't know how much designing she is doing. Maybe others are designing and she is approving or adding input. It doesn't matter to me. A person is allowed to enjoy the fruits of their labor.
Frequent Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.wub}I don't know anything about her selling her company but I have been surprised at the HUGE selection of Judith Ripka items being sold at every TJMaxx in my area (Southern California)!!!! Most have an entire case full of just her jewelry. It is not my taste and don't like silver so for those of you wo are fans, stop in at your local TJMaxx and you will find LOADS of her items!

Trusted Contributor

Sakuya, I was not criticizing her selling her company or slowing down. I was merely asking if anyone knew if indeed the Madison Avenue store was closed as I read it in a comment sent to her asking where they could take items now that needed repair. I was also curious as to why there was not currently a website. At least the original website could have stayed up until the new one was ready.

You obviously took it the wrong way based on the tone of your comment.

Respected Contributor

There is such a HUGE difference in her line for QVC and her original stores. Gee, its not the same at all. Its like running to the outlets for Coach or any other type of merchandise. They make lines especially for those types of stores….you are just getting a name, certainly nothing like the original, quality product. As we have seen, with MANY of the lines sold here on QVC, you start with a quality product that all customers love, and over time another company takes over and the original products that we all loved detioriate. The quality is inferior and prices increase. Tova, Philosophy, Bare Minerals, Affinity, Honora etc etc etc the list could go on and on. It is no longer the same ,and what we are left with is schlock. It is too bad the company doesn't realize people still want quality merchandise..I like gold, not bronze. I like good quality sterling, where is it? I'd like Carol Hochman that doesn't rip at the seams after one washing, shoes that the soles stay on and small appliances that actually work when you plug them in and last more than 5 days. What happened to these things?

Valued Contributor

The JR company sold last year, she remains the creative director and very few of her employees remain. Starting several years ago she started closing down all her stores. From what I understand they have kept open the flagship store and a store on Long a island. But those may be closing as well. Brian and Allison have been gone from the business for at least a year. I have been a long time collector but have once again liquidated all but a few JR pieces that I really enjoy wearing on occasion. When selling on bayside or to friends JR used to hold their value. Pieces no longer do unless it is a rarer piece. There are well over 5,000 JR items on bayside the last I looked. Those who are still collecting love and enjoy her work. She has been the "cash cow" for the Q for years but there is rarely any excitement on the board before her visits as there used to be. But, I have met her, Ron and Brian along with my fellow Atlanta Ripkanistas several years ago, it was a memorable day and they were friendly and spent a lot of time with us, took lots of pictures, etc. Some things run their course and for many of our group it has. BUT, without the love of JR for years, we all would never have met and become fast friends. We meet once a month and for some time very little talk is about jewelry. We have so much more in common. Judith is about 68, she is a self-made woman and I admire here for that. No doubt she has set this up for her future retirement on her terms. I wish her the best as I do her continuing her JRQ line.
Esteemed Contributor

On 1/11/2015 Sweetiepie2 said:

{#emotions_dlg.wub}I don't know anything about her selling her company but I have been surprised at the HUGE selection of Judith Ripka items being sold at every TJMaxx in my area (Southern California)!!!! Most have an entire case full of just her jewelry. It is not my taste and don't like silver so for those of you wo are fans, stop in at your local TJMaxx and you will find LOADS of her items!

We won't ever see her $$$$$ 18K gold or platinum couture line at TJMaxx, or any other discount store. We cannot compare her high end jewelry to her Q or sterling line.