Valued Contributor

Ripkanista dog/animal lovers O/T - my Yorkie Paris II

Even though the past couple years (due to low energy because of Hashimoto's/Addison's) I am not able to post more than small discussion threads during Judith's visits and a monthly all review thread, the JR board is still my home.

During last week's visit I wrote about getting a third rescue Yorkie from the local shelter. Even though she was heavily vaccinated (which through personal experience I believe is iffy), she came down with Kennel Cough and gave it to our other two Yorkies, a 10 lb. male and 4 lb. male, who already has a serious immune disease called Pemphigus Vulgaris. Initially, she became very ill, barely able to walk while the large male Yorkie was coughing his head off. It was awful, requiring a lot of TLC.

Our little sweet guy, Paris II (Pootie), seemed to be dodging this awful bullet for several days. His own story is that he was in line to be surrendered to the local shelter when I walked by on my way out after playing with and petting shelter dogs (something DH and I do several times per month). He was a typical champagne and silver Yorkie but with extra large eyes and friendlier than normal demeanor. I petted and admired him, talking to his owner, who looked exactly like Oprah's best friend, Gayle King. As I walked away, the owner chased me down and asked me if I wanted him. DH was waiting in the car so I asked to take Pootie and discuss it with DH. The decision was immediate and emotional: yes!

She told me only that he could use some dental work and gave me a hard hug. When we got him home and gave him a bath we realized his mouth was a drooling mess and that he was very, very ill. I gave him some pet antibiotics which saved him and got him to the vet for an intense set of tests. The results agreed with my internet research: severe Pemphigus Vulgaris. The Vet thought it was caused by over-vaccination (dosages are the same, regardless of the animal's size or age). All of the fur on his ears fell out, save for a sprinkling at the very tip of one ear. I experimented with finding the exact dosage of steroids which would help him without causing side effects. Within six months the fur grew back normally but his mouth was always an ongoing freak show, something surprisingly, he took in stride as he regained his strength.

Pootie was always the type of dog who loved everyone, which is not typical for a Yorkie. He was the star of the vet's office techs who took care of him while we were gone on two long trips in 2012 and this past Spring. He would always glide along on his deer legs, appear at one of the Tech's side and gently offer a paw in friendship.

More recently, we were so happy because Pootie was nearing a normal weight, his illness was mostly in remission and he showed a lot of confidence. Even though he was nine, his mouth was that of a dog twice his age. We've been his guardians for 2 1/2 years.

As the Kennel Cough was beginning to subside in our large male Yorkie and the female newby, Pootie suddenly took a turn for the worse. Although after a couple of days, conventional medicines and dog-sized doses of 4 Thieves remedy, the coughing stopped, Pootie became very ill.

Our house turned into a hospice. Everything revolved around Pootie and caring for him, supporting him, trying to turn things around. When he awakened at 2AM every night, we did, too. Finally, there were signs that there wasn't going to be a happy ending despite our best efforts.

Pootie and I took a bath together, removing the grime of illness. I poofed his fur out so he looked his handsome best. The two large Yorkies backed off from the water dish and stunningly waited while Pootie took his tentative sips with what little strength he had left. We sat in the sun in the back yard. Last evening I wrapped him up and lay him on top of me while DH and I watched a Netflix rental, his breathing very tense and pronounced. He looked up at me for support which flowed out of me in a river of love. His entire body shuddered for a good two minutes and then was silent, his soul flying into a different world.

We buried him under the orange tree in the back yard near our other departed pets, wrapped in one of my well-worn t-shirts and tied with ribbons.

My heart is broken in ways I cannot describe. The pain is immense and even though I know he is waiting for us at the Rainbow Bridge, this is not a comfort for me...yet. ~Peach

PS~Thank-you for taking the time to share this with me.

Super Contributor

Re: Ripkanista dog/animal lovers O/T - my Yorkie Paris II

Peach, I am so very sorry for your loss. I wish I had the words to comfort you...
Super Contributor

OMG - Peach,

I am so, so, so sorry. I know how you feel having lost my best boy a little more than a year ago, and I know that your heart will be broken for sometime to come. I now can think of him and smile for maybe 30 seconds until I have to change the channel because it's too upsetting.

Pootie died in your arms though, and that was the best he would have hoped for. How lucky you both were to have each other, albeit a short time, and in the end you will remember him as one of the biggest blessings in your life knowing that someday you will be together where sickness doesn't exist. At least that's how I choose to think of it.

With love and sympathy,

BGDC

Valued Contributor

On 10/17/2014 PalmTree11 said: Peach, I am so very sorry for your loss. I wish I had the words to comfort you...

PalmTree11, thank you for reading. Just taking the time to post is helpful. Thank-you~Peach

Trusted Contributor

Peach, I am so sorry!!

I have been there a couple of times and I know what you went through, are going through and will be going through.

You gave Pootie so much love and a wonderful life to him.

A life he would have never known if it weren't for you and your DH.

Both of you are a blessing.

You were a blessing to Pootie and Pootie was a blessing to both of you.

I understand how you feel, love can hurt, but it's still love and that in itself is beautiful!

As an animal lover thank you and your DH for being great parents to Pootie and for loving him and caring for him so much!

He will always be with you both in your heart.

Love never dies. XOXOXOXO

Esteemed Contributor

Godspeed Pootie

I'm so very ,very sorry for your loss. I know your heartache.

Contributor

so sorry to hear of your loss peachie...may his memory be a blessing to you always....take care

Valued Contributor

On 10/17/2014 BGDC said:

OMG - Peach,

I am so, so, so sorry. I know how you feel having lost my best boy a little more than a year ago, and I know that your heart will be broken for sometime to come. I now can think of him and smile for maybe 30 seconds until I have to change the channel because it's too upsetting.

Pootie died in your arms though, and that was the best he would have hoped for. How lucky you both were to have each other, albeit a short time, and in the end you will remember him as one of the biggest blessings in your life knowing that someday you will be together where sickness doesn't exist. At least that's how I choose to think of it.

With love and sympathy,

BGDC

BGDC, thanks. Very sorry about your boy. I do remember that -please remind me of his name, if you can.

Thank-you for the kind thoughts. Pootie was always very brave throughout his chronic illness and it seemed so unfair for this to happen once he was becoming so robust.

Let us both believe there will be a place in the future without sickness and we can be with the pure love of our pets. Again, thank-you. ~Peach

Respected Contributor

I am so, so sorry. Your post literally brought tears to my eyes. I have a little Yorkie too. They are so sweet. I'm sorry for your loss.

Valued Contributor

On 10/17/2014 Oneanddone said:

Peach, I am so sorry!!

I have been there a couple of times and I know what you went through, are going through and will be going through.

You gave Pootie so much love and a wonderful life to him.

A life he would have never known if it weren't for you and your DH.

Both of you are a blessing.

You were a blessing to Pootie and Pootie was a blessing to both of you.

I understand how you feel, love can hurt, but it's still love and that in itself is beautiful!

As an animal lover thank you and your DH for being great parents to Pootie and for loving him and caring for him so much!

He will always be with you both in your heart.

Love never dies. XOXOXOXO

OneandDone, thanks for your beautiful words and for always being there. I agree that love never dies. Kirks Folly had that on some of their designs. I have to say that I feel like someone stabbed me in the heart. I just wish we could've saved him one more time. Thank-you~Peach