Regular Contributor

PLEASE LET'S NOT USE "QVC SPEAK"

Maybe you will throw tomatoes at me for this one, but I am wondering whether there are any Ripkanistas on this board who are nauseated by "QVC speak". I am not one who cares about which host is on w/ Judith, which models they use, whether a hostess's fake nails need touch-up, whether Judith had facial surgery or not, whether so-and-so's hair looked good or bad, etc. etc. etc. But the "QVC speak" grates on me like nails on a chalkboard - possibly because I used to be an English teacher. In particular, I am referring to the terms "price point" instead of "price", "colorway" instead of "color", & "fabrication" instead of "fabric"or "composition". A "fabrication" actually means "a lie". We add extra words or syllables to perfectly good words & distort their meaning or just add pomposity. And how 'bout that cliché that everyone keeps using & refuses to go away: "It is what it is." What does that mean????? How can it be anything else BUT what it is? Unless it is what it ain't, & that's my definition of a paradox!

Super Contributor

Re: PLEASE LET'S NOT USE ""QVC SPEAK""

glitter i agree and yet honey you would hate me.

Super Contributor

First world problems.

Honored Contributor

I agree, OP, but this is not limited to QVC. All the shopping channel hosts do it. It's so pretentious and cutesy, and faux up-to-the-minute trendy with the emphasis on faux - that's the turn-off for me. That, and hosts who are not educated enough to know it's faux or just don't care. Because a bunch of people on a shopping channel coin a few words and phrases, that doesn't mean they're universally used, or should be.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

And ""on the day"" instead of just plain old ""today"". One host started it (I think Shawn) and now it's slowly spreading amongst the others.

Honored Contributor

On 10/17/2014 shaggygirl said:

And ""on the day"" instead of just plain old ""today"". One host started it (I think Shawn) and now it's slowly spreading amongst the others.

They've been using ""on the day"" forever; way before Shawn ever arrived at the Q.

Honored Contributor

On 10/17/2014 shaggygirl said:

And "on the day" instead of just plain old "today". One host started it (I think Shawn) and now it's slowly spreading amongst the others.

That phrase, at least, is an everyday expression in the UK and I suspect has been for probably a century at least. I imagine it has just found its way to the US.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I agree with you. Such words are pretentious and often used incorrectly. Do they subconsciously impress some people? I suppose so. But plain talk impresses me.

Esteemed Contributor

Jane was chastised for using ""on the day"" and it became an 11 page grammar discussion

Valued Contributor

I disagree with the OP. The terms "price point," "color way," and "fabrication" are all accepted terms used in the business/fashion/retail industries and have existed for decades. Words can have multiple meanings depending on their usage, and QVC's usage of these terms is not incorrect. Overused maybe, but not incorrect. This from an English major and person who has worked in business circles for 40 years having been exposed to these particular industries and these commonly used terms.