New Contributor

14k Clad - Can anyone answer how it wears with everyday wear. Does the silver underneath start to show?

I purchased a rather expensive piece (bracelet), for me anyway, of her 14k clad. Can anyone tell me how this wears with daily wear? Does the silver beneath start to show? Thanks.

Respected Contributor

Re: 14k Clad - Can anyone answer how it wears with everyday wear. Does the silver underneath start to show?

My experience is to never buy 14K clad jewelry again. It ended up being a waste of money for and I'm super easy on my jewelry.

If I can't afford solid 14K, then I do without.

Maybe someone else has had better luck.

Valued Contributor

Re: 14k Clad - Can anyone answer how it wears with everyday wear. Does the silver underneath start to show?

Tinkler, I bought the gold clad rolling bracelet and it totally changed color. It is now a ugly blackish color. I will never buy clad again. Hope this helps with your decision.

Honored Contributor

No Ripka experience for you, but I've worn an Affinity ring with several bands of gold clad over silver for at least a decade now. It hasn't peeled, chipped, or worn, and still cleans up nicely. I do try to remember to remove the ring before washing my hands, kneading dough, digging in my planters, but otherwise I just wear it. Obviously can't say whether the bracelet would serve as well.

Regular Contributor

I have quite a few of the clad pieces from Judith and they are all in tip top shape. No wearing or any problems at all.

Valued Contributor

My clad experience is two necklaces....one gold clad and one rose clad and one rose clad enhancer.

Have not worn them extensively so cannot give you a long range review on wear and tear, but with them going to be worn around the neckline, they should hold up very well. Something on the hand may be different.

Am not a clad fan, but these pieces were exceptional and so I made an exception. Otherwise, I do not purchase clad.

Trusted Contributor

I have many clad Ripka pieces.

Rings, bracelets, watches, earrings, necklaces.

NO PROBLEM!!

All get a lot of wear, I have never had any peeling problems, never any color changes, they are as beautiful as the day I received them, and that has been after a few years of a lot of wear.

Valued Contributor

Thank you so much, Oneanddone, for your experiences with the clad from Judith. This is very helpful for those starting out with the clad....helps to know what to expect down the road. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I only buy the silver in Ripka, but I do own the gold and the rose chronograph watches. They get a lot of wear. They both look as good as day purchased.

Honored Contributor

When the gold plate (on anything) wears off, the silver underneath is NOT shiny and pretty.....it's gray and dull. Best to have the item replated.

♥Surface of the Sun♥