Valued Contributor

Bails that have a movable partial ring inside...

This is a mystery to me. I first thought this ring inside was for a smaller chain, but looking at it again I'm not sure if it would fall right just using the lower part of the bail. Can someone please explain these types of double bails and their use? They are made to be pushed aside and then brought out again? That little piece seems hard to adjust and easier to push back than to bring out again. Any help would be appreciated!

Frequent Contributor

Re: Bails that have a movable partial ring inside...

I'm having a hard time visualizing; can you give the item number with a bail like this?

Super Contributor

You mean like this? (Ripka's new zodiac enhancer).

I'm curious about the same thing.

Valued Contributor

Yes, that's the type of bail I mean. Thanks for posting the photo. If you used the bottom of the bail for a thin chain it seems like it would fall forward. There has to be a reason to do the bail that way. Anyone know? It is meant to be moved out of the way and returned when needed? But needed for what?

Super Contributor

Blondelle, I believe it acts like a safety catch for the bale. If that little loop wasn't in there, when you opened the bale to place it on a chain or remove it, the bale would be removable or loose - you could lose it, so they keep it attached to the enhancer with that little ring. Hope that helps.

Frequent Contributor

On 9/7/2014 kiwi55 said:

Blondelle, I believe it acts like a safety catch for the bale. If that little loop wasn't in there, when you opened the bale to place it on a chain or remove it, the bale would be removable or loose - you could lose it, so they keep it attached to the enhancer with that little ring. Hope that helps.

Ah, now I see what you mean. Yes, I believe kiwi is right. Some of my enhancers have them and I always assumed/felt that it was to keep the bale safely attached to the enchancer.

Super Contributor

This is exactly as described. Besides holding the enhancer itself securely to the bale, the lower loop inside acts as a curb for the enhancer clasp. I know from first hand experience after accidentally dropping and having that inner piece break off one of my enhancers. I could never securely close the enhancer when that piece broke off. I later lost the enhancer when it fell off the chain.
Valued Contributor

Thanks everyone for explaining. That makes sense. Is it supposed to be movable though for thicker chains? Mine seems to be, but I don't want to break it.

Frequent Contributor

No, Blondelle, it is not supposed movable. It is strictly a safety mechanism. Just forget it is even there. If a thicker chain doesn't fit, as sometimes they won't, then find a thinner chain.

Hope that helps!

Honored Contributor

If used as I suspect people above are saying, its not a true enhancer. I've been thinking and changed my mind. Now I think it's a double enhancer.